The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Buffalo Sabres suspend F Patrik Berglund indefinitely

Odd.

9 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

If the Sabres weren't doing so well and the Blues were any good, we'd be hearing more about how the Sabres traded O'Reilly for three bottom six players and two draft picks.

O'Reilly (who is having a career year) wanted out of Buffalo and everyone knew it.  Kind of a Kesler situation, but without the lack of choice in teams to trade with.

This is a shame.  A lot of the young Swedes on the Sabres looked up to Berglund.  The running joke in the locker room was that he was the Swedish godfather.

Gonna have to look up the cap rules on a player suspended for not reporting to a team.  Maybe the Sabres can get out from under the remainder his contract.

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

As bad as Eriksson might be when you look at his salary. At least he plays, and has 14 points. 

He might have mentally checked out. But is still here. ;)

That $6 million though is tough to swallow.  I was hoping Seattle would get in the NHL a year sooner so the Canucks could drop a draft pick on them to pick his contract up in the expansion draft.

31 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

This is a shame.  A lot of the young Swedes on the Sabres looked up to Berglund.  The running joke in the locker room was that he was the Swedish godfather.

Gonna have to look up the cap rules on a player suspended for not reporting to a team.  Maybe the Sabres can get out from under the remainder his contract.

Yeah, I haven’t checked the details here, but I think indefinite suspension for failure to report is the first step toward contract termination. 

The report is weird though. Makes it sound like he was calling in “sick” but the team thinks he’s faking. Otherwise, they’d really have no grounds to suspend. Will be interesting to see how that plays out. 

Benning clearly values character, so I'm not sure how he feels about Berglund in this situation and we don't know what's really going on behind the scenes.

I wonder if there can be a deal to be had for Berglund 50% retained for Gagner. Both players likely want to get out of their situations. Gagner's contract is shorter term and they save cap space longer term. We take a risk on rejuvenating a 3rd line center that could open the option of moving Sutter.

I know I always say this, but I truly, truly did not realize this guy was still in the league. Although apparently he wasn't, given that he stopped showing up to the team! What a goof.

I'm also curious about the cap implications for suspending a guy for not showing up.

21 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Benning clearly values character, so I'm not sure how he feels about Berglund in this situation and we don't know what's really going on behind the scenes.

I wonder if there can be a deal to be had for Berglund 50% retained for Gagner. Both players likely want to get out of their situations. Gagner's contract is shorter term and they save cap space longer term. We take a risk on rejuvenating a 3rd line center that could open the option of moving Sutter.

Think you'd have to do some due dilligence and research on this one. 

26 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

He did this as a response to getting benched for poor defense.  You think Green's going to give him a longer leash?

29 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Good god, no.

Why is everyone hellbent on trading Sutter?

He's a legit NHL player who can win faceoffs.

Archived