The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who sits when sutter and baertschi return?

Samgagner'sface

2 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Once again, I disagree. Look at the teams record with Sutter/Beagle and without.

you don’t trade away cheap centre depth. You horde it. The Canucks are not in a position to trade roster players. We need depth.

having a centre core of Petersson Horvat Sutter Beagle looks like a healthy 1234. We do not have a surplus of centres. We have 4 real centres.

There are a few players who can play both wing and c though. Gaunce is there. Granny... This team has enough depth at center, compared to some years, lots, as it should be, IMO.

For a team in this phase, depth can be attained through the Waiver Wire or minor AHL trades which allow some call-ups for Vancouver, etc. There are many fringe NHLers looking to earn a job, guys who could plug just enough holes in the tank to keep the hypothetical, Sutter-less roster, respectable. 

You’re probably right on the decision and I get how critical depth truely is, including this context, so this should be what we see until the TDL at the earliest. (Real centres, indeed though. Agreed and understood)

Not that I agree with JB’s conservative approach though, as I’d not hesitate to manage the rebuild’s Vision, the roster and the season so Vancouver could make the most of a rebuilding team’s luck of drawing the Draft itself, on home ice this June. The fortuitous timing of this draft, considering the roster stage the Canucks find themselves in, is docu-worthy. 

Interestingly, there are currently several teams going into this hometown draft with more draft picks than the Canucks.

This market wants its rebuild, not a quick dip into the draft position order that’s brought them superstar talent EP and others, but also expects to have a it’s way at the 2019 hometown draft - if CDC census means anything, or as I interpret it at least. 

This draft is possibly this team’s PR department’s pending failure as well, unless they can convince this management to capitalize on this unique marketing opportunity in their own rink.

If trading away the Sutters of the team is the difference between picking 1st OA and 10th, at home, and in a rebuild year which the Canucks find themselves in, then let’s start the car for the airport, as has been said before. ‘Real’ centres are worth real assets that this team can make/draft a core out of... around FAs and WW eligibles, meanwhile, IMO, if it has to. 

Anyways, good post. 

I can't see why it should be a given that anyone sits from the current team when Sutter and Baer are fit again.

I just don't see no upside they bring, to add to or even replace the form and effort any of our present guys are showing.

A month ago mebbe, but not today.  There isn't one player right now (including Loui) I'd swap for either.  Green might

disagree, but tinkering with a winning formula of his own patient creation, could prove very risky for him.

A consensus of our 'who starts' thread during opening camp, sort of forecasts that we'd be better informed of who's what

come Jan 1st.  I think we're here already early.  Some unexpected guys have proved they belong - Gaudette, Motte and Leivo.

Like many here, I've stomached so much indigestion from Canuck 'hockey-men', I'll vomit if management don't reward those

guys that just sweated us 5 wins on the bounce, out of 6 games.

There's likely very sound hockey business considerations at work of course, but squeezing Baer into the present line-up just

doesn't pass the fan smell test for me.  Interesting days ahead perhaps, but hey we're just fans, how could we know?

7 minutes ago, Mo Grit said:

There's likely very sound hockey business considerations at work of course, but squeezing Baer into the present line-up just

doesn't pass the fan smell test for me.  Interesting days ahead perhaps, but hey we're just fans, how could we know?

Would love to see both Sven and Sutter moved this year at the TDL.      Keep build the base of our club.  

Sutter is past his prime ( turning 30 this Feb )  and Sven is simply to fragile .  I think both can be moved for picks and prospects.  

On 12/16/2018 at 11:26 AM, Samgagner'sface said:

Not sure if this even matters, but having goldy here would help with the reintegration of tryamkin also? 

I still hold out hope that tree comes back when he's finished his contract over there

Was thinking that today when i read the article about him being ok with coming back and man do we need him now more than ever, i don't know of anyone who would be affective in front of our net with Tank out there patrolling.. Tank would push almost anyone aside like a rag doll, too bad he wasn't around when we were playing the B's for the cup.

13 hours ago, smokes said:

Guadette goes down and gets some meaningful minutes while Sutter takes over the shutdown line leaving Petey and Brock as first line and Baer and Bo headlines the second.I wouldn't mind seeing what Baer-Bo-Goldy can do together. So I guess bye bye Schaller as well.

Schaller isn't going anywhere anytime soon unless we can pick up another player who isn't afraid to drop the gloves with anyone IF Travis has the balls to let him off his leash and let him play his roll that he was signed for but that will probably not happen until we make the playoffs and other teams take runs at Bo Brock and Elias which they certain will... people forget that part that but would scream blue murder for being soft again and Guddy can't do it all himself and nor should he.

The last 7 games have been eventful and we have the Canucks rebounding from a 13 game swoon with only 1 win.  We have seen Beagle come back from injury 7 games ago, the trade for Leivo and the second waiving of Gagner.  Throughout this time, I think there are 3 players to watch in terms of who is getting scratched and what their ice time has been.  It is also interesting that 7 games ago, Goldobin was a healthy scratch although I think this was a message sent rather than an indication that he is really on the hot seat.

Minny     Nash      St L        CBJ      Nash       Phi       Edm

Schaller            7:47          S         12:03      6:55      4:12          S           S

Motte                9:25      12:06     12:38      7:37      8:25     13:18     14:32

Gaudette         11:36     11:29         S             S          S         11:05       9:01

I would suggest that Gaudette's scratching against St Louis was more because somebody had to be scratched and Green wanted to see if Schaller had woken from his slumber after being scratched against Nashville.  The minutes would suggest that Schaller had a better game in his first back vs St Louis but in subsequent games we see his minutes tailing off.  Experiment over, Schaller is officially in the dog house and will be the first waived (or traded) when healthy bodies come back.  I think that they want to see Gaudette play as much as possible at the NHL level for his development but since he stood down during the Schaller experiment and not Motte, Gaudette may be the 2nd player waived.  Unless of course there is a trade of some kind.  

4 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

The last 7 games have been eventful and we have the Canucks rebounding from a 13 game swoon with only 1 win.  We have seen Beagle come back from injury 7 games ago, the trade for Leivo and the second waiving of Gagner.  Throughout this time, I think there are 3 players to watch in terms of who is getting scratched and what their ice time has been.  It is also interesting that 7 games ago, Goldobin was a healthy scratch although I think this was a message sent rather than an indication that he is really on the hot seat.

Minny     Nash      St L        CBJ      Nash       Phi       Edm

Schaller            7:47          S         12:03      6:55      4:12          S           S

Motte                9:25      12:06     12:38      7:37      8:25     13:18     14:32

Gaudette         11:36     11:29         S             S          S         11:05       9:01

I would suggest that Gaudette's scratching against St Louis was more because somebody had to be scratched and Green wanted to see if Schaller had woken from his slumber after being scratched against Nashville.  The minutes would suggest that Schaller had a better game in his first back vs St Louis but in subsequent games we see his minutes tailing off.  Experiment over, Schaller is officially in the dog house and will be the first waived (or traded) when healthy bodies come back.  I think that they want to see Gaudette play as much as possible at the NHL level for his development but since he stood down during the Schaller experiment and not Motte, Gaudette may be the 2nd player waived.  Unless of course there is a trade of some kind.  

Wasn’t Gaudette sick for his missed games.  I hear on the rDio he lost 20pouns.  (Yes Slf hound the scotch.).  

Probably a dumb question (or ridiculously optimistic), but do you think Sutter or Baertschi, via trade, could land us a right sided defenseman that isn’t as good as Edler or Tanev, but better than Gudbranson, Stecher, and Hutton?  

If so - I would definitely explore this option.  My gut feeling is that Sutter not Baertschi would land us this type of defenseman.......but maybe I’m wrong?  

2 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Probably a dumb question (or ridiculously optimistic), but do you think Sutter or Baertschi, via trade, could land us a right sided defenseman that isn’t as good as Edler or Tanev, but better than Gudbranson, Stecher, and Hutton?  

If so - I would definitely explore this option.  My gut feeling is that Sutter not Baertschi would land us this type of defenseman.......but maybe I’m wrong?  

STL

Sutter

Bärtschi

STL

Pietrangelo (28yrs old)

3 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

I would love for that to happen but I can’t see St.Louis agreeing to that unless we included our 1st (which we should NOT do).

Well, the Canucks have a young player that could be of interest and could be parted with. If Pietrangelo would come in, one would assume a D would go back; anyone not named Hughes would probably be fine.

Don’t need much, just an equalizer. 

The 1st I think is out of the question as long as Benning is GM (thank the hockey gods).

Sutter, Bärtschi and one of Hutton? Stetcher? Pouliot? or Juolevi?

PIETRANGELO - HUGHES

EDLER - TANEV

HUTTON - GUDBRANSON

This is suddenly a very deep defense with still three of either Hutton, Stetcher, Pouliot or Juolevi.

Couple years ago, Pietrangelo is in the conversation for the best defenseman in the league....

Now he is being traded for a "B" winger in Baertschi and the oft-injured, Sutter?  I like both these guys, but c'mon.  The only way this trade works is if St. Louis is in full panic mode and pulls a desperation move that greatly benefits the Canucks.

5 minutes ago, 406in604 said:

Larsson got Taylor Hall and you thing Pietrangelo nets Sutter and Sven? 

I’ve learned to never compare the Oilers’ organizational decisions regarding any matter whatsoever. 

St-Louis is 13th/15 teams in the West, and 28th/31 teams in the league.

8 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Pretty sure that Gaudette was sick for that 3 game scratch. HNIC mentioned that he was a 'healthy scratch', but I believe they were wrong !

3 hours ago, Me_ said:

I’ve learned to never compare the Oilers’ organizational decisions regarding any matter whatsoever. 

St-Louis is 13th/15 teams in the West, and 28th/31 teams in the league.

We should be able to get Nurse for the two mentioned then.

Canucks are playing Tampa tonight.  This is the production rate of the Fs measured in points per game - min 10 games as Vancouver has had more injuries than Tampa.

under 0.3     0.3-0.45     0.46-0.54     0.55-0.75      0.76-1.0    1.01-1.20    above 1.20

Vancouver               4               5                    -                   2                       2                1                -

Tampa                      2               3                    -                   5                        -                2                1

Canucks only have 5 Fs and that's including Baertschi who have produced upwards of 0.45 pace this season.  Tampa have 8.

With Baer injured there are 2 Fs who have been playing top-6 while not even producing at a 0.45 pace over the season.  Baer has also played more games on the 3rd line with Gaudette/Sutter as his Cs than with Horvat.

Lesser teams beat better teams all the time.  It doesn't mean they can do it over an extended period of time or that it will turn them into contenders.  Nashville was missing 4 core players in Forsberg, Arvidsson, Subban and Turris.  In St-Louis Berube accused his team of not playing and criticised their commitment and work ethic.  The Flyers were on their 5th goalie of the year - the backup of the backup of the backup and are in a free fall.  Production vs Edmonton was on the PP.

Green sounds impatient to get Baertschi back - says it's never quick enough as a coach but that his health has to come 1st.  He probably feels the same way about Sutter.  Both are upgrades to the roster.  Some players who work extremely hard are going to find themselves on the outside when all is said and done and I doubt it will be Baer or Sutter.  

Archived