The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Starting to watch hockey again. I have a few questions

Sandro17

So, its been a while and I've been disconnected from the NHL for the past 3 years. With the rise of Boeser, Petterson and the hype around Hughes, Canucks hockey has started to become bearable again (Yeah, I get it you think I'm a fair weather fan but 20th in the league during a good streak isn't exactly fair weather).

I'm noticing some changes in that I'm hoping you guys could answer for me that would catch me back up:

1. It feels like the game has changed in the past 3 years. Or maybe it's just the Canucks playstyle? There have been a lot more two on ones and breakaways in the game from what I am seeing than what I was seeing in 2015. Is it really more common around the league? Or are the Canucks just turning into a quick transition team (with depleted defense)? Does this mean we tend to see a lot of dynamic movement out of the zone (No more set ups from Sedins), and defensive lapses going into the zone (No more Dan Hamhuis). This type of hockey is pretty exciting.

2. WTF happened to the Blackhawks? Seems to be a pretty sharp descent.

3. How many more years of tanking? Or better yet, how many more years before we properly become a contender?

Cheers,

31 minutes ago, Sandro17 said:

So, its been a while and I've been disconnected from the NHL for the past 3 years. With the rise of Boeser, Petterson and the hype around Hughes, Canucks hockey has started to become bearable again (Yeah, I get it you think I'm a fair weather fan but 20th in the league during a good streak isn't exactly fair weather).

I'm noticing some changes in that I'm hoping you guys could answer for me that would catch me back up:

1. It feels like the game has changed in the past 3 years. Or maybe it's just the Canucks playstyle? There have been a lot more two on ones and breakaways in the game from what I am seeing than what I was seeing in 2015. Is it really more common around the league? Or are the Canucks just turning into a quick transition team (with depleted defense)? Does this mean we tend to see a lot of dynamic movement out of the zone (No more set ups from Sedins), and defensive lapses going into the zone (No more Dan Hamhuis). This type of hockey is pretty exciting.

3. How many more years of tanking? Or better yet, how many more years before we properly become a contender?

Cheers,

I don't understand.

What's the point of watching a team that you don't really care about except when they're succeeding? If you want to cheer for a team that's succeeding, go cheer for Tampa Bay.

Fans are extremely happy because they watched through all that garbage the last few years and now, finally, are enjoying the fruits of it, due to the rise of Boeser and Pettersson. Because you didn't watch last year, you didn't see the emergence of Boeser, which honestly was the biggest reason anyone would watch the team. He was a glimmer of hope of the future.

There was also a really nice story that made fans feel good about him and the team. You coming in now to watch won't truly appreciate how wonderful it was to have him score like he did.

Honestly dude, go cheer for another team. Why should we explain to you what happened the last few years when it's obvious that you only care if the team is good? If the Canucks falter, we should expect you to stop watching again. You have no loyalty.

4 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I don't understand.

What's the point of watching a team that you don't really care about except when they're succeeding? If you want to cheer for a team that's succeeding, go cheer for Tampa Bay.

Fans are extremely happy because they watched through all that garbage the last few years and now, finally, are enjoying the fruits of it, due to the rise of Boeser and Pettersson. Because you didn't watch last year, you didn't see the emergence of Boeser, which honestly was the biggest reason anyone would watch the team. He was a glimmer of hope of the future.

There was also a really nice story that made fans feel good about him and the team. You coming in now to watch won't truly appreciate how wonderful it was to have him score like he did.

Honestly dude, go cheer for another team. Why should we explain to you what happened the last few years when it's obvious that you only care if the team is good? If the Canucks falter, we should expect you to stop watching again. You have no loyalty.

The Though Police have arrived. 

5F4DE892-8751-4DCE-8242-BFDCFD886EEF.jpeg

1. Offense is picking up league-wide. Goals-per-game is up and defensemen in particular are putting up way more points (though not so much with the Canucks)

2. Keith and Seabrook have become more average and mega deals with their top players are now handcuffing them. 

3. I think we're on the rise now. I expect/hope to be almost a playoff team next year. 

54 minutes ago, Sandro17 said:

1. Ok feeling better now? Need a complaint form? Want a tissue?

2. What you do with your time in what you decide to watch is not up to me. Again, I'm asking people who make the community great and write constructive posts. If you need to displace your angry energy anywhere else, do something constructive with your time, read a book, play a sport.

3. If I'm a bandwagoner fan and you need me to feel bad about it, its obvious you have major issues. I mean, we don't even know each other and you feel the need to make someone feel bad about a game. Seriously, you need to get a life get something better to do with your time.

4. Actually I did keep up to date with Boesers emergence. Just because I didn't spend a whole lot of time watching doesn't mean I didn't keep up with the team. Most of my questions were about gameplay and style of the league in general. It's just that I watch from a Canucks perspective because most of the games I watch are Canucks games.

5. Are you a neck beard by any chance? I mean you really give me the impression of a fat guy sitting on his mums basement with nothing better to do than to insult people online. 

Perhaps I am tone-deaf to your logic, so I will re-summarize what I've seen and you can confirm the run-down of what just happened.

You have this false entitled expectation that people are going to respond to you positively. You are sadly mistaken.

What doesn't seem to get inside your thick head is that you've established that your precious time is worth more than watching Canucks games, which you've eloquently stated wasn't worth your time (i.e. it was boring). In fact, it wasn't just one or two games, it was the entirety of three years.

So for all the suckers like us that watched the games, we can give you a run-down of all the good parts of the team, while sparing you all the bad, boring stuff.

You still don't see what's wrong with this picture?

In your original post, you stated that you'd understand why people would think you are a fairweather fan, but a team 20th in the league is apparently your excuse. You've justified it in your mind. The last three Canucks years haven't actually been unwatchable, especially if you've seen far worse.

Some of us have watched the ups and downs and can fully appreciate where this team is going now. You ARE a fairweather fan, and expecting that you won't get flamed for it is beyond naive.

Heck, even a troll like FedorFedorov who is still here, has been watching the games the entire time. He's still whining about the team and he might not admit that he likes the team, but he's been around a lot longer than you. Somehow he's able to find time.

17 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Perhaps I am tone-deaf to your logic, so I will re-summarize what I've seen and you can confirm the run-down of what just happened.

You have this false entitled expectation that people are going to respond to you positively. You are sadly mistaken.

What doesn't seem to get inside your thick head is that you've established that your precious time is worth more than watching Canucks games, which you've eloquently stated wasn't worth your time (i.e. it was boring). In fact, it wasn't just one or two games, it was the entirety of three years.

So for all the suckers like us that watched the games, we can give you a run-down of all the good parts of the team, while sparing you all the bad, boring stuff.

In your original post, you stated that you'd understand why people would think you are a fairweather fan, but a team 20th in the league is apparently your excuse. You ARE a fairweather fan, and expecting that you won't get flamed for it is beyond naive.

Heck, even a troll like FedorFedorov who is still here, has been watching the games the entire time. He's still whining about the team and he might not admit that he likes the team, but he's been around a lot longer than you. Somehow he's able to find time.

Why are you jaded because fans are coming back? The team needs more fans at games and supporting the team. I think we as fans who have endured the hard times again maybe feel a little shell shocked lol. 

I am happy op you had the courage to ask these questions and welcome back.

The league has definitely picked up on pace in terms of speed. Players are faster but we also have a very aggressive coaching style compared to years back. Our team kind of blankets teams with speed and one on one plays. I personally love the style we are playing.

The Hawks signed Kane and Toews to matching contracts that instantly tied their hands. They were half decent before trading Panarin a Ufa from Russia to CBJ to a re-acquire Saad. Saad has largely disappointed and Panarin is a beast. Chicago is In tough maybe they can rebound for playoffs but there team is likely done for deep runs. Barring Dylan Strome doesn't become who he was envisioned to become when arz drafted him.

I think we may be streaking this year and next. Once we stabilize and learn to win consistently I'm guessing we are in the hunt. We probably will make the playoffs next year then gradually climb or burst on the scene. 

We got a lot of the key parts you need to be a contender. Once our goaltending is no longer a talking point and we see Hughes and Juolevi in the league we should be heading higher up. 

Our forward youth is here at the higher levels. (Top 6). We still need our young drafted D and Goalies to arrive tho. We are inching there every year and our teams ability to battle back well down lately is a positive sign. We should know more on the time / length once we know how these next few crucial months come. 

I don't see us contending though until more of our drafted D and G's are ready to make an impact. Maybe Petey and Boeser carry us far it's not out of the possibility. We need more drafted players in the lineup though before we become a real legitimate power house.

Imho.

2 hours ago, Sandro17 said:

Cheers,

Answered your Q's above. Ignore those of us who are jaded and have endured the dark years of Willie D lol 

17 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Why are you jaded because fans are coming back? The team needs more fans at games and supporting the team. I think we as fans who have endured the hard times again maybe feel a little shell shocked lol. 

I am happy op you had the courage to ask these questions and welcome back.

The league has definitely picked up on pace in terms of speed. Players are faster but we also have a very aggressive coaching style compared to years back. Our team kind of blankets teams with speed and one on one plays. I personally love the style we are playing.

The Hawks signed Kane and Toews to matching contracts that instantly tied their hands. They were half decent before trading Panarin a Ufa from Russia to CBJ to a re-acquire Saad. Saad has largely disappointed and Panarin is a beast. Chicago is In tough maybe they can rebound for playoffs but there team is likely done for deep runs. Barring Dylan Strome doesn't become who he was envisioned to become when arz drafted him.

I think we may be streaking this year and next. Once we stabilize and learn to win consistently I'm guessing we are in the hunt. We probably will make the playoffs next year then gradually climb or burst on the scene. 

We got a lot of the key parts you need to be a contender. Once our goaltending is no longer a talking point and we see Hughes and Juolevi in the league we should be heading higher up. 

Our forward youth is here at the higher levels. (Top 6). We still need our young drafted D and Goalies to arrive tho. We are inching there every year and our teams ability to battle back well down lately is a positive sign. We should know more on the time / length once we know how these next few crucial months come. 

I don't see us contending though until more of our drafted D and G's are ready to make an impact. Maybe Petey and Boeser carry us far it's not out of the possibility. We need more drafted players in the lineup though before we become a real legitimate power house.

Imho.

Because the fans like Sandro aren't real fans. They appear and disappear on a whim.

Why did they even disappear to begin with? The post 2011 Canucks teams were nowhere near as bad as the 80's-90's Canucks where the team would still get sold out even though they brought a bad product.

I'm not even that old and I remember this.

3 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i started watching girls again and i have a few questions?

they wouldn't talk to me for 3 years, but the other day, one winked at me or she had something in her eye.. anyway, i want to give them another try.  i'm not a fair weather, girl chaser, because they run too fast.  i'm looking for a rich one who owns a beer wagon.

28 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Because the fans like Sandro aren't real fans. They appear and disappear on a whim.

Why did they even disappear to begin with? The post 2011 Canucks teams were nowhere near as bad as the 80's-90's Canucks where the team would still get sold out even though they brought a bad product.

I keep hearing this, and honestly, it's utter bull. Real fans my butthole. How about relinquishing the ignorant, degrading, elitist thinking and enjoying the fact that the Canucks are becoming exciting enough again to attract the casual fans again (not saying Sandro17 is one - I don't know nor does anyone else).

I also think his questions are valid enough to deserve a proper response. I can't give them as I do not see enough live games, probably I'm not enough of a true fan (or just a full-time working European family father with other interests and obligations as well and who cannot stay up for games that start at 4am on a work day). 

1. It's a bit of both. The new generation of superstars has started to arrive, and this league is becoming more and more about speed, skill, and two-way play.

2. Cap troubles, poor management desicions, and attempts to keep the Cup window alive have left the Blackhawks barren in terms of prospects. Similar to the 2011 Canucks, minuthe 3 Stanley Cups. .-.

3. I think we see a return to consistent playoff appearances in as little as 2 years. Cup contention, maybe another 4 or 5. Patience is key, but that's preaching to the choir on that.

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

In your original post, you stated that you'd understand why people would think you are a fairweather fan, but a team 20th in the league is apparently your excuse. You've justified it in your mind. The last three Canucks years haven't actually been unwatchable, especially if you've seen far worse.

Some of us have watched the ups and downs and can fully appreciate where this team is going now. You ARE a fairweather fan, and expecting that you won't get flamed for it is beyond naive.

1.Yes you are honestly tone deaf to simple logic I'm afraid

2. Did you just call yourself a sucker? Dude, stop posting in this thread you're making yourself look worse as time goes on.  I'm not kidding, your posts are very revealing as to what type of person you are. 

3. There is nothing wrong with the picture. I'm not responsible or obliged to watch Canucks games.  I still watch even if were 20th in the league. End of story. Me watching the team again is what the team, coaches, GM and ownership wants is it not? You telling me I'm not wanted would not be appreciated by any of those guys.

4. You're mistaken, I don't believe that I'm entitled to have positive reactions from what you call "Suckers". What I do have is the belief that human beings ought to act with decency and class. You don't hit that standard and I'm sorry for your loss as a person. The fact that you have the internal need to make someone feel bad over 3 years of a game shows small mindedness.

5. Why are you sad that fans are coming back? It's a good thing that fans are coming back. If fans don't come back, the franchise goes down the tubes. Then what will you do? 

6. You may think I am not a "True Fan" whatever your so called standard is, but from 2008-2014 the general consensus in the community and in these forums is that Canucks fans need more class. From the time one of us threw coins at Patrick Kane after a play off loss (I hope that wasn't you) to the 2011 Stanley cup riots, the adage was true. Having said that Dazzle, you're the prime example of one of the fans that gives Canucks fans a bad reputation. I'm sad to see that because of fans like you, Canuck fans have a bad reputation. IMO, before you tell anyone how to be a true fan, become a good representation of what a good fan should be like. Something tells me that when new comers come in, it'll be positive guys like me who have to clean up after your classlessness. 

TBH, if I were an owner, player, coach or if I were a GM, of the Canucks, I wouldn't appreciate you turning others away. Think about it, would the team you support really be supporting the way you're turning others away right now? 

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

OMFG. 

The way you've been bickering this whole time made me believe I was talking to a kid. I'm sorry to hear that you're old enough to remember that, but you haven't matured much past puberty. 

As I've said before, you might want to stop posting here on this thread, you're only making yourself look worse.

Archived