The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Puljujarvi

Hitch thinks he can turn Puljujarvi into a top-6 player.  Don't see Edmonton giving up on him just yet.  

From the Edmonton Journal:

“I’ve had a lot of success, quite frankly, taking players like Jesse and having quick turns. And probably some days he’s going to get tired of my voice because it’s going to be during practice like it was today, and he caught himself, and away he goes. But when you see something that good and that much, as a coach you want to take responsibility for the growth of the player. You don’t want to sit there and watch him play in the American Hockey League and think, ‘Ah, he’s going to score a few goals and that’s going to fix everything. Or he’s going to do this.’ There’s elements of is game, it doesn’t matter what league he’s playing in, have to get better and I want that responsibility because the top end is awful, awful high and I want to work with that.”

If we could have a Pou-Pu party (Derrick for Jesse) I'd be down.  Both guys could use a new opportunity but we don't really need a left side D-man (Eddie, Hutton, Hughes and Olli to come).

Then again, with Goldie and Jake's emergence, plus Leivo, Sven and Brock already in place not sure we need to get Jesse, unless we can shelter him to start and work up the ranks.

2 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

What is the value of Jesse Puljujarvi? Very poor numbers in the NHL but he has the potential to be a very good player.

Chia is famous for making bad trades so what do you think the cost would be

Tanev + Brisebois+ 3rd?

Highly doubtful that Edmonton would give up on him so soon.  Canucks also need to be VERY careful in moving Tanev.  If they move Tanev, they need to target a younger and possibly even more superior right sided dman.  

If the Canucks move Tanev and don’t adequately replace that right side, you’ll have guys like Gudbranson, Stecher, and Biega playing on your top pairing or Top 4 on a consistent basis, and that’s the type of thing that could actually hurt a rebuild (ie team starts getting blown out and current young players on the team start to lose confidence).

With Hughes and Juolevi coming next year, it’s absolutely essential to have a guy like Tanev, or another right side D bet that is Top 4 calibre.  Hughes and Juolevi need to play with a capable veteran dman that can help the young guys acclimate properly to the NHL.

6 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Highly doubtful that Edmonton would give up on him so soon.  Canucks also need to be VERY careful in moving Tanev.  If they move Tanev, they need to target a younger and possibly even more superior right sided dman.  

If the Canucks move Tanev and don’t adequately replace that right side, you’ll have guys like Gudbranson, Stecher, and Biega playing on your top pairing or Top 4 on a consistent basis, and that’s the type of thing that could actually hurt a rebuild (ie team starts getting blown out and current young players on the team start to lose confidence).

With Hughes and Juolevi coming next year, it’s absolutely essential to have a guy like Tanev, or another right side D bet that is Top 4 calibre.  Hughes and Juolevi need to play with a capable veteran dman that can help the young guys acclimate properly to the NHL.

Woo

McDavid - $12,500,000

Draisaitl - $8,500,000

Lucic - $6,000,000

Nugent-Hopkins - $6,000,000

Sekera - $5,500,000

Spooner, Kelfbom, Russell, Talbot - all $4,000,000+

Puljujarvi? Khaira? Caggilua? Kassian? Chiasson?

Something's gotta give after next year. Get your popcorn.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Chiasson is making a good case that he's a valid NHLér.  Khaira has subsidiary value.

But who among these 4 is going to break the bank next year? Pool party will have to take a bridge, but does he deserve more?  

They will have roughly $15 mill in cap to sign Khaira, Rattie & Rider.  Talbot or a replacement, Koskinen, a $2 mill UFA D man & promote 2 D on ELC's ( Bouchard & I project Ethan Bear, Euro pick Filip Berglund is an option and Samurokov will get a chance to compete).

There will be some casualties. Maybe they trade Khaira. He probably deserves a raise that will be hard to give. They probably will choose not to re-sign Rieder. I see that happening regardless. Or buy out / trade Lucic or Sekera.

Why worry though?

Its the Oilers! 

Thinking, Benning is eventually going to have to sign:

Boeser

Leivo

Goldobin

Hutton

maybe Edler

Virtanen

Gaudette

Stecher

maybe Tanev and Markstrom

And then with Hughes, Juolevi, Demko and Dahlen possibly making the jump next year, these guys will also need contracts in the years to come. And when it's Pettersson's time to sign (2021), it will be a big deal ($10 x 8?). I'm not sure the Canucks are going to sign any high end UFA players, but will develop the players they have. I really like that he didn't break the bank by bringing in Motte, Roussel, Leivo and Beagle, and that the contract with Schaller is only 2 years. Smart..

On 12/17/2018 at 2:47 AM, mll said:

Hitch thinks he can turn Puljujarvi into a top-6 player.  Don't see Edmonton giving up on him just yet.  

From the Edmonton Journal:

“I’ve had a lot of success, quite frankly, taking players like Jesse and having quick turns. And probably some days he’s going to get tired of my voice because it’s going to be during practice like it was today, and he caught himself, and away he goes. But when you see something that good and that much, as a coach you want to take responsibility for the growth of the player. You don’t want to sit there and watch him play in the American Hockey League and think, ‘Ah, he’s going to score a few goals and that’s going to fix everything. Or he’s going to do this.’ There’s elements of is game, it doesn’t matter what league he’s playing in, have to get better and I want that responsibility because the top end is awful, awful high and I want to work with that.”

That's a coach the Oilers should have had 5 years ago.  He has more brains than the rest of their head office.  Best Oilers coach since Sather left.  

On 12/17/2018 at 3:34 PM, NUCKER67 said:

McDavid - $12,500,000

Draisaitl - $8,500,000

Lucic - $6,000,000

Nugent-Hopkins - $6,000,000

Sekera - $5,500,000

Spooner, Kelfbom, Russell, Talbot - all $4,000,000+

Something's gotta give after next year. Get your popcorn.

Yup... that and they missed the playoffs last year.  They have some bigtime holes in their defence and have been trying to fix it ever since Pronger left.  

They can't just let guys walk either.  Chiasson has done well.  Plus who else can they afford to bring in to play the same roles.  They still stuck at drafting out of the top 10.  

Archived