The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Boeser New Contract will be...

Ryzen

Horvat, the future captain, heart and soul of the team, 2nd in points and goals on the team - is making $5.5. He'll get a raise at the end of his contract.

I can see Boeser signing a similar deal - $6 x 5, and after that contract is done, he'll also get a raise. Let's keep in mind Boeser has only played 94 NHL games in his career.  

Maybe they sign him until 2023/24, when Bo's contract expires.

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Actually I'm saying if I'm an agent then I would argue the cap increase argument to bump up the numbers, but from a team perspective, I would not want this. So at the end of the day it averages out in the middle somewhere.

I agree that Bo likely signed a cheaper deal so it wouldn't buy into his UFA years, but that's also a factor into Boeser new contract. When you split it up and say his first 6 years have less bargaining power. I'm suggesting 6.5 million for 5 years, but lets say 7 million for 6 years (all RFA years). Who knows what he will become 6 years down the road (injuries or decline, or even the other spectrum in that he improves and becomes a 50 goal scorer), so if his play drops off for whatever reason in 6 years, let's say his value remains at 7 million a season, but if it peaks, maybe he net a 13 million dollar a season contract come that time, so we average it out to about 10 million based on potential possibilities. So 2 years of UFA status at 10 million evaluation. So over the 8 year contract, he nets 62 million, which averages out to 7.75 million per season. Bump it back a bit to 7.5 million a year as a team friendly discount and give him a NMC for those UFA years.

There will be arguments about why he deserves more and some will say less, but it'll all average out generally. If he hits 8x8, I'll be fine with that too and that would add 4 million more than what I suggested over the duration of the contract and hopefully should cover the difference for cap increase if that is a factor.

we'll know after this season

i think many will think jb overpaid

like they seem to always react

when jb signs a top end player to another longer contract

the nhl is seeing a clear chasm in salaries between top players

and the rest

that trend will continue and get more extreme

brock will benefit from this trend

but clearly no one presently knows what the new deal will be

and so we'll just have to wait to see

to know who is more accurate in assessing these financial issues

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

To add - TOR severely overpaid Nylander, but that was Dubas' dumba** mistake. Benning will work something out with Boeser that will be good for the team. We see Brock's character, no way he bolts.

That’s possibly true, but a little early to say he overpaid.  Funny how now that everyone in their top six that matters is healthy TO is gone into a mini-funk (they were doing better without Mathews and Nylander) but it’s sure to even out.  As far as Boeser goes Benning has done a great job of re-signing guys so far, it’s a stance that if continues should look good for Vancouver going forward.  The only thing that was somewhat worrisome about Horvat was the term,  I’m hoping he buys at least one year or Boesers UFA years, it would look like a commitment to the team, Horvat being from Ontario makes me wonder if he will bolt his next contract...I can see the strategy, just not sure it will all work out yet.    

Nope.  Close to ten million seems ridiculous, he’s a sniper first and foremost, and at this point doesn’t offer much more (but that’s a lot no doubt).  On a roll but before he was with EP he wasn’t that good, could be injury rust who knows for sure.  Point is it’s a similar thing as Nylander playing with Mathews, who’s driving the bus and how well does he play without him on his own.  That needs to be considered.  Right now he’s doing great, personally I think he deserses Taresenko money, 7.5 ish, but given the cap going up it will be more like 8.5 (especially if he keeps it up).  What Mathews and Marner get paid might matter, might not.    

The cap keeps rising, Ovis still on his ridiculous contract from pre-cap and Crosby’s played many years below market value on a contract that once was the same as McDavids percentage wise, what Boeser gets paid might look high (hopefully it looks fair) but likely won’t near the end...it all depends on how good he will be in his prime, and how good he is not on Petterssons line.  McDavid is making Chiasson, a camp walk in, a 35-40 goal scorer this year....Pettersson was making Goldobin a 60 point guy...so you should expect Boeser at more than a PPG, maybe around 1.2....

9 minutes ago, IBatch said:

That’s possibly true, but a little early to say he overpaid.  Funny how now that everyone in their top six that matters is healthy TO is gone into a mini-funk (they were doing better without Mathews and Nylander) but it’s sure to even out.  As far as Boeser goes Benning has done a great job of re-signing guys so far, it’s a stance that if continues should look good for Vancouver going forward.  The only thing that was somewhat worrisome about Horvat was the term,  I’m hoping he buys at least one year or Boesers UFA years, it would look like a commitment to the team, Horvat being from Ontario makes me wonder if he will bolt his next contract...I can see the strategy, just not sure it will all work out yet.    

Could Dubass have way overpaid Nylander because he's trying to screw up all the other teams' caps, like he has the Leafs?  

On 12/17/2018 at 3:15 PM, Ryzen said:

The problem there is he will be paid far too much above Bob Hovart at 5.5Million per season. I really believe 7.5Million is more realistic and if he is a team guy he will want to leave money on table to build a Stanley Cup team.

This is a good point and I hope this is what transpires.

I think the situations that are brewing in Edmonton and Toronto should be red flags to the rest of the league that IF you pay your superstar players TOO much, then you become susceptible to not only facing massive cap problems in the future, but also possibly decreasing your window in a significant way.

One team I really like right now is Vegas.  None of their players have outrageous cap hits, and this has allowed them to build a very deep team.  

When Chicago and LA dominated between 2010 and 2015, none of their players had outrageous cap hits either.  In fact - I think a pretty good argument can be made that both those teams started to go downhill once Toews, Kane, and Kopitar received contracts north of 10 million.

Which leads me back to Boeser’s situation.  If Boeser’s asking price is close to 9 million, are the Canucks better off trading Boeser for a good player that has an extremely cost-effective long term contract, plus draft picks?  #TheVegasModel

2 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

This is a good point and I hope this is what transpires.

I think the situations that are brewing in Edmonton and Toronto should be red flags to the rest of the league that IF you pay your superstar players TOO much, then you become susceptible to not only facing massive cap problems in the future, but also possibly decreasing your window in a significant way.

One team I really like right now is Vegas.  None of their players have outrageous cap hits, and this has allowed them to build a very deep team.  

When Chicago and LA dominated between 2010 and 2015, none of their players had outrageous cap hits either.  In fact - I think a pretty good argument can be made that both those teams started to go downhill once Toews, Kane, and Kopitar received contracts north of 10 million.

Which leads me back to Boeser’s situation.  If Boeser’s asking price is close to 9 million, are the Canucks better off trading Boeser for a good player that has an extremely cost-effective long term contract, plus draft picks?  #TheVegasModel

I agree.

15% of your cap hit is unjustifiable and only serves to handicap the team unless you're Sidney Crosby or Connor McDavid. 

The problem I see is that JB doesn't seem to have the best contract negotiating abilities and may be prone to over paying players. Either go for the Vegas model (Good player w/cost-effective long term contract) or go with the Mike Gillis model. NTCs everywhere to attain a discount. However, JB doesn't have the same negotiating skills MG has either. 

If these numbers keep up I say 7.1 - 7.5M with an NTC (Thats still more than the Sedins made)

9 hours ago, Sandro17 said:

I agree.

15% of your cap hit is unjustifiable and only serves to handicap the team unless you're Sidney Crosby or Connor McDavid.

The problem I see is that JB doesn't seem to have the best contract negotiating abilities and may be prone to over paying players. Either go for the Vegas model (Good player w/cost-effective long term contract) or go with the Mike Gillis model. NTCs everywhere to attain a discount. However, JB doesn't have the same negotiating skills MG has either. 

If these numbers keep up I say 7.1 - 7.5M with an NTC (Thats still more than the Sedins made)

I would even argue that in today’s NHL, Crosby’s contract and cap hit is pretty good. From 2010-2015 however, the combined cap hits of Crosby and Malkin  likely served as hindrances for the Pens.  Again - compare the Penguins’ cap hits to certain players during these years to that of Chicago and LA’s top players.

I said this a few years ago when McDavid signed his new contract, but I always felt that his contract would handicap Edmonton more than helping them.  

1) It would prevent Edmonton from being able to have real depth.  

2) McDavid’s contract would set a bad precedent for the team (I.e. Drai receiving huge money) which would further add to Edmonton’s cap problems and ability to create depth.

Obviously in Edmonton’s case, they made some other terrible mistakes as well (Eberle trade, Lucic signing, etc.), but Edmonton’s contracts have really decreased whatever window they were supposed to have.

I believe that Toronto is now in a similar situation.

If Toronto doesn’t win the cup this year, I think it’s going to be very tough for them to have the necessary cap space to create the kind of depth that they want.  I also think it will be difficult for them to find the necessary cap space to address their weaker areas (defense, etc,).

Conpare that to Winnipeg’s situation.  Winnipeg has many “high value” long term contracts.  Case in point - Mark Schiefele.....has likely one of the best value contracts in the NHL.  While I don’t know if the abundance of “value contracts” in Winnipeg will allow Patrik Laine to “buy in,” I think it makes the situation far more likely.  Don’t be surprised if Laine’s contract is *not* over 10 million.  If Trouba doesn’t want to “buy in,” he will likely be moved.

Tampa Bay = same thing.  Hedman and Stamkos have excellent value contracts.  Washington-Ovechkin/Backstrom, etc. = same thing.  Ditto for San Jose.  Don’t be surprised if Karlsson is allowed to walk from San Jose.  Colorado seems to be building something special as well.  Mackinnon’s cap hit is likely the best long term contract in the NHL.  As a result, many other core players in Colorado are more likely to do the same.

Over there in Nashville, I think there are reasons why we sometimes here rumblings that the Preds are open to trading P.K. Subban.

No matter how good a player is, *any* cap hit that is over 10 million is likely to handicap that team more than help them.  Vegas has proven that a team full of cap friendly contracts had the ability to assemble great depth, and a team with great depth will almost always destroy a top heavy team with limited depth.

As it relates to the Canucks - I think the Canucks REALLY have to be careful in how they handle Boeser.  When negotiating with Boeser, the Canucks REALLY need to encourage “buy in” and having the cap space available to build a winner.  

Horvat’s contract can hopefully serve as a precedent of some kind.  If Boeser’s contract can be closer to Horvat’s, in terms of “buy in” and “building a winner,” then it serves as good leadership for future contracts.  Boeser signing for something between 6.5 and 7.5 would be a great sign of leadership and buy in.

On the flip side however, if Boeser breaks bank, then our future RFA’s will NOT buy in.  Pettersson will get something over 10 million, while Quinn Hughes would also get something at or close to that IF lives up to his promise.

Boeser’s contract and setting team culture will be extremely important for the long term future and culture in Vancouver.

Archived