The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kevin Bieksa - Sportsnet 650 interview

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/canucks-central-at-noon/kevin-bieksa-spengler-cup-nickname-fedor-fedorov/

Was listening to it and thought it was a really good segment.

Basic rundown if some of you don't prefer to listen:

• Kevin Bieksa is joining Team Canada for the Spengler Cup this Christmas season...so if you guys are ever bored of the WJC (lol) support Juice!
    • He has been skating with the Everett Silvertips - putting in training for several months now with the Ducks as well.  
    • Mentioned he was on a 2 month retirement until he was called by Sean Burke to see if he was interested in joining the Spengler Cup for Team Canada, which awoke his competitive spirit again
    • Had been coaching his sons team down in California several times a week, and his family will join him in Davos, Switzerland.  Son will be water boy for team Canada.
  • Kevin also shared the name "juice" the backstory of it
    • Peter Sarno an ex-Canuck property who played for the Manitoba Moose (when they were still our affiliate) gave him that name
    • Kevin Bieksa had worked out basically quite a bit, was the most jacked guy coming to training camp for the Moose, and Sarno gave him that name.

• Alex Auld and Satir Shah asked Kevin about the Fedor Fedorov fight he had that basically made him famous to Canucks' management
    • Kevin very humbly played it off - had some fun with it saying Fedor deserved it (haha)
    • Doesn't like to talk about it though

• Auld and Shah asked Kevin which player(s) on the Canucks (past) were misunderstood by media and the fanbase
    • Kevin shared how Keith Ballard was a tremendous teammate who cared about the team despite media and fans harping over him early.  Didn't understand why that was the case, and thought it was not fair.
    • Raffi Torres - Juice blushed about Raffi how he was the reason Canucks made it through the playoffs.  The hits despite the connotation behind his reputation were something they really appreciated.
    • Aaron Rome - Bieksa made some fun of him by saying "Aaron Rome was only 26 at the time but somehow looked 40".
      • said that all three of these guys contributed to the winning culture.  Wasn't just the twins, kesler, Burrows etc, but the depth guys brought that mentality as a whole. 
  • Kevin also shared some impression about Bo Horvat
    • how he has seen his evolution from his first training camp til now.

I got the gist of the whole 24 mins of the segment, but a good listen.  Really like hearing from Kevin.  Hope one day they bring him on full time. Quite the character especially how he went back and forth with Alex Auld.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I know KB is set financially for life, but he sure would be great as a radio guy.  He's really bright, and too funny!  Plus, he's an actual hockey guy.  We need actual hockey guys (full time) on the radio shows here.  

Might be controversial, but he was my favourite Canuck in recent memory.  Even if he's set for life he'll probably be bored and will want to explore some options.

I can see a playoff team interested in adding him as depth if he shows he can still play in the Spengler Cup.

Glad that Bieksa has shown appreciation to the depth guys that get ragged on. It's easy to support the point producers, but there is much more to the game.

Thought this whole time he got the juice nickname because he drank a lot of juice or something along those lines.

Definitely hope he becomes a colour guy of some sort. He seems to provide some good insight and is good on camera. With his kids growing up in California though, he will likely be working down there.

This is the perfect type of person who should be asked to be part of the Canucks Media Group for Hockey Night In Canada games as a helpful color man etc.

We would be informed as well as entertained by Kevin B. instead of that sack Ron Maclean, or other old cronies from Toronto.

I'm sure he would tell it like it is similar to Brian Burke.

Instead of all Leafs or Bruins fron Don "the fossil" Cherry.$&!#, I could have coached that Bruins team with Orr etc.

That's what Vancouver Canucks need more than anything is a truthful Ex-Canuck telling our side of the stories.Not Torontos or Edmontons etc.That familiar voice of reason.

I always thought Raffi Torres was under appreciated, and his reputation after he left the Canucks got so bad it almost erased people's memory of how effective of a player he was when he was at his best.  Think of how important Tom Wilson was to the Capitals cup run.

1 minute ago, The Sedge said:

I always thought Raffi Torres was under appreciated, and his reputation after he left the Canucks got so bad it almost erased people's memory of how effective of a player he was when he was at his best.  Think of how important Tom Wilson was to the Capitals cup run.

When we get back into the playoffs, hopefully we will see the effect of someone like Virtanen and hopefully that'll finally end the debate between him, Ehlers and Nylander.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I know KB is set financially for life, but he sure would be great as a radio guy.  He's really bright, and too funny!  Plus, he's an actual hockey guy.  We need actual hockey guys (full time) on the radio shows here.  

Bieksa needs to brown nose Toronto more for that to happen. I do think Bieksa would be great as a radio guy or a tv personality. At least he has some personality. Right now the only interesting dude on TV is Burke.

1 hour ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

I also don’t get the hate for Ballard.  Sure he was s pricey bottom pairing dman, let’s not forget he was acquired before we got hamhius, and he had a top pairing role in Florida.  Would take him over gudbranson or poulioit any day.

I'd take Gudbranson over Ballard in those 2011 Finals 985 times out of a 100. 

Nothing says more to me about Bieksa than on that infamous Calgary game night and he waived  a 6’6” rookie out of the face off draw and took it himself so the kid didn’t take a beating in his first game.

I forget the name of the Calgary player, but he was a goon heavyweight and out of Bieksa’s weight class.

For those who haven’t been in a real fight, it takes serious bravery to step in when you know you are likely to get beaten to a pulp.

That is the kind of team mate you want.

11 minutes ago, Provost said:

Nothing says more to me about Bieksa than on that infamous Calgary game night and he waived  a 6’6” rookie out of the face off draw and took it himself so the kid didn’t take a beating in his first game.

I forget the name of the Calgary player, but he was a goon heavyweight and out of Bieksa’s weight class.

For those who haven’t been in a real fight, it takes serious bravery to step in when you know you are likely to get beaten to a pulp.

Westgarth. Very tough customer. Heavy weight. 

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Yet flames fans called him a spot picker cause of who he fought that game.

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Bieksa needs to brown nose Toronto more for that to happen. I do think Bieksa would be great as a radio guy or a tv personality. At least he has some personality. Right now the only interesting dude on TV is Burke.

I would love it if he replaced Don Cherry (sorry to all you Cherry fans).

Archived