The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] No hearing for Danick Martel (TB)

Ossi Vaananen

If this happened to Matthews, Martel would get 3-5 games. Green is really pissed as well, so I wonder what kind of push-back the Canucks will have from now on. I'm really proud of the guys who stepped up (Roussel, Gudbranson, Virtanen, Hutton, even Boeser), although he's not a fighter. That's obvious. Roussel and Motte were excellent signings by Benning. I think it's because of Roussel and Motte, the Canucks are now a grittier, tougher team to play against. I wonder if Martel is in the lineup next year when the Canucks play them again. I hope so. Canucks gotta get Tryamkin back.

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Benning needs to go full Burke and call out the league in media. Take the fine that will be handed to him but something needs to be said.  Our players are standing up for each other or gm should do the same. 

Totally. The disappointment amongst the team right now must be palpable.

I said this yesterday.  JB needs to call the Vegas GM and trade for Ryan Reeves.  I don't care how many draft picks we have to give up.  Put him in the lineup and let him loose.  I can guarantee you a guy like Martel will not be taking cheap shots at our smaller players if Reeves is on the ice or on the bench.  Guaranteed...

Text book blind side.

by a guy that’s not an nhler taking out a nhl regular. 

7 minutes in pentalites to Roussel with no injuries . 2 minutes for a blindside head shot...and player safety important lol.

shades of Moore/burtuzzi. A system failure.

a suspension wouldn’t even matter the losers been a heathy scratch the last month. 

Players actions should result in team fines, see if owners want these guys when they start costing them big $$.

37 minutes ago, smokes said:

So the NHL has made it clear. There are certain teams who are open season and certain teams you can't run. Check. Got it.

If that's Morgan Reilly do you think there is a coming BIG suspension?  I don't understand why that hit is allowed?  The only contact point is with Stecher's head.  

Just now, Alflives said:

If that's Morgan Reilly do you think there is a coming BIG suspension?  I don't understand why that hit is allowed?  The only contact point is with Stecher's head.  

Western media is not as powerful as eastern media.

15 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I said this yesterday.  JB needs to call the Vegas GM and trade for Ryan Reeves.  I don't care how many draft picks we have to give up.  Put him in the lineup and let him loose.  I can guarantee you a guy like Martel will not be taking cheap shots at our smaller players if Reeves is on the ice or on the bench.  Guaranteed...

Scumbags like Martel make those decisions regardless of who's on the ice. Reaves won't stop it if he's not on the ice.

The league needs to hire officials who actually are capable and willing to call games as unbiased as possible. But this league is a corrupt joke.

Stecher is having a hearing for head butting Martel’s shoulder. They just don’t have the personnel to stop other teams from taking liberties with them. They got pushed around last night by the smallest team in the league. Maybe it’s time for Benning to try and draft some toughness instead of a bunch of dwarves. Last years drafted players for the Canucks average height was 5’10, average weight 167. That’s not going to deter teams from taking cheap shots. Even players like Gudbranson and Tryamkin are big but they aren’t mean. The league has shown they don’t give a rats ass about the Canucks. So they better get some toughness before one of their young stars gets seriously hurt from a cheap hit

The NHL's indifference is not a surprise. What caught my attention, was the TB reference to Troy Stecher being 5ft 8in ! I actually think that the 'nucks are being very generous with their 5'10" stats. TS is very small. I am also a little disappointed that Dhaliwal can't spell Stecher !

12 minutes ago, Archie the grim said:

Stecher is having a hearing for head butting Martel’s shoulder. They just don’t have the personnel to stop other teams from taking liberties with them. They got pushed around last night by the smallest team in the league. Maybe it’s time for Benning to try and draft some toughness instead of a bunch of dwarves. Last years drafted players for the Canucks average height was 5’10, average weight 167. That’s not going to deter teams from taking cheap shots. Even players like Gudbranson and Tryamkin are big but they aren’t mean. The league has shown they don’t give a rats ass about the Canucks. So they better get some toughness before one of their young stars gets seriously hurt from a cheap hit

You can't stop injuries. You can only deter them. 

What happened to Stecher should've been handle alot better by the refs. But if a blind man is your guide, you'll ve led astray.

SevereConcreteAntarcticgiantpetrel-size_

From the rulebook

48.1 Illegal Check to the Head – A hit resulting in contact with an
opponent’s head where the head was the main point of contact and
such contact to the head was avoidable is not permitted.
In determining whether contact with an opponent's head was
avoidable, the circumstances of the hit including the following shall be
considered:
(i) Whether the player attempted to hit squarely through the
opponent’s body and the head was not "picked" as a result of poor
timing, poor angle of approach, or unnecessary extension of the
body upward or outward.
 (ii) Whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position by
assuming a posture that made head contact on an otherwise full
body check unavoidable.
(iii) Whether the opponent materially changed the position of his body
or head immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit in a way
that significantly contributed to the head contact

https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/no-suspension-for-danick-martel-nhl-s-department-of-player-safety-remains-a-bad-joke-1.23547441

Archived