The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Unconditional Waivers] Patrik Berglund, Radel Fazleev

Apparently it was for a failure to report?  I don't follow the Sabres but that seems odd.  Posters in the Sabres forum feel that it's out of character for a guy like him.  Hope he's okay!

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/sabres-suspend-patrik-berglund-for-failure-to-report-on-unconditional-waivers-intent-to-terminate.2582877/

Berglund has generally seemed to be a good team guy so it's surprising to see things sour so much for him.  I could see teams still having interest in signing Berglund but there's probably going to be a lot of discussion about what happened and my guess is that he'll have to come at a discount.  Not convinced the Canucks should inquire unless they're already intending to move out a few existing pieces in the bottom-6 and want to add size.

14 minutes ago, KristoffWixenschon said:

Apparently it was for a failure to report?  I don't follow the Sabres but that seems odd.  Posters in the Sabres forum feel that it's out of character for a guy like him.  Hope he's okay!

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/sabres-suspend-patrik-berglund-for-failure-to-report-on-unconditional-waivers-intent-to-terminate.2582877/

Stop listening to the idiots on hfboards.  Berglund is fine health-wise.  He didn't like being a healthy scratch and refused to report after the Sabres scratched him one last time.

https://buffalonews.com/2018/12/19/buffalo-sabres-patrik-berglund-nhl/

The Buffalo Sabres have announced they have placed veteran center Patrik Berglund on unconditional waivers with the intent to terminate his contract.

Berglund, who was suspended indefinitely by the club on Saturday for "failure to report" after missing the team flight to Washington, is owed $3.85 million for the next three years on the salary cap. The termination move shows the Sabres' intent to get out from under that money.

Berglund is also owed $2,235,484 for the rest of this season, according to CapFriendly.com and the Sabres would get relief from that money as well.

Acquired from St. Louis on July 1 as part of the Ryan O'Reilly trade, Berglund has just two goals and two assists in 23 games for the Sabres this season. He started the

season as the club's No. 2 center but was unable to keep the role as defensive deficiencies led coach Phil Housley to make him a healthy scratch in October.

Berglund's play improved some as a winger on the team's fourth line but he was scratched again for wins earlier this month over Los Angeles and Arizona and apparently decided in stunning fashion that his days in Buffalo were done by no-showing practice and the team flight.

The Sabres initially covered for Berglund, with Housley  telling reporters he was absent from practice because he was "sick". But when Berglund did not take the plane to Washington, the team immediately put him on suspension.

The Sabres said today "there will be no further information or comment at this time" on Berglund.

Asked by The Buffalo News about the situation on Tuesday, General Manager Jason Botterill simply said, "There's communication going on there, but I don't have an update for you on it. When the time is right, we'll certainly try to elaborate on the situation. Right now, I can't discuss anything else."

Getting out from Berglund's contract would be a huge move for the Sabres going forward, relieving some pressure on their cap and giving them more money to use to re-sign winger Jeff Skinner, who has exploded on the scene with 25 goals before Christmas in his first year with the team.

Skinner, who will be an unrestricted free agent after the season, is likely going to want a long-term deal in the $8-9 million per season range.

More to come

37 minutes ago, KristoffWixenschon said:

Eichel strikes again?

13 minutes ago, apollo said:

That's outrageous... He left all that money on the table over getting scratched? 

Just collect your millions and sit in the press box... 

I think he was embarrassed since the young swedes on the Sabres looked up to him as a role model.  Even so, to walk away from over 12 million dollars is crazy.  No sane GM will sign him for anywhere near that kind of money.

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

Wow.  It was mutual.  He voluntarily gave up the contract and the Sabres get to knock over 12.5 million off of their cap.  So it's a clean break...  Way to go Jason Botterill!!!

This seems very unusual. There must be more to this, but we may never know.

Just now, Ojibwa72 said:

Berglund is someone interesting to me, if you could get him at a discount. Could potentially be a help to Petey as well.

Berglund was scratched not only for no offensive output, but for playing poorly in the defensive zone.  The last thing that the Canucks need with inconsistent goaltending is an inconsistent 2-way forward.

16 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

This seems very unusual. There must be more to this, but we may never know.

Honestly, I think he wants to go back to St. Louis.  It was rumoured that they were interested in re-signing him at a lower cost.

If he considered St. Louis home, it may be worth it to him to walk away from that kind of money in order to go back.  We have players that never moved away from Buffalo after retiring or being traded, so it may be the same thing with him.  Heck, up until recently Scotty Bowman made Buffalo his home even though he never won a Stanley Cup with the Sabres and he currently works for the Blackhawks.

Archived