The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

About Last Night

NickTheGreek

I've flip flopped this year. Been on team tank for a while, then on team win, then back to team tank. And now? I'm on team last night.

I wake up today not giving a rat's behind that we lost the game. For the first time in a long looooong time, I'm over the moon proud of the team I support.

Finally, a Canuck player (multiple actually) stood up for their teammate right before our very own eyes. It was unbelievable

If what we saw last night can carry on (and there's no reason it shouldn't) we're witnessing a team truly come together. This season has been a fun one so far with the great play of all the young dudes but there was something missing from this team that left a frustrated taste in my mouth. That taste went away last night and I hope it can stay away for a long time.

Whether you're on team tank or team win, if you're a real Canucks fan, you're definitely on Team Last Night

Amen and Hallelujah!

Agreed, the more the team fights back the more it’ll put pressure on the league and the refs to make the RIGHT call.

turn the other cheek garbage hockey  lets the refs off the hook and hoping the league does the right thing is a worthless gamble. (Proven once again)

canucks have been a group of push overs for far to long this was nice to see, I won’t lie I want to see more in the third period thou. 

I know I won’t be upset it Tom Wilson ends a TB player in fact I might fist bump a buddy. 

20 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

Gotta love Guddy's uppercut right to the face of that Tampa plug.

Virt has to learn though if he's going to step in for a teammate and take a penalty he might as well do some damage. Stop being the friendly giant man!! He could learn something from Hutton.  

Pretty sure Jake’s gloveless punches did more damage than Guddy’s gloved upper cut with the ref between them. 

If the Canucks can play every team like they did against Tampa, they'll win a lot of games, or else force the other teams to go all out for 60 minutes. I love the push back from last night, I could feel the team was different this year, but last night we saw it. This is a team that goes to war for each other. I'm also very proud how they came together as a team and said collectively, "enough's enough". This might even be a turning point for the team - "us against the rest" kind of mentality. It's obvious the league isn't giving the Canucks a break or any respect really, so they'll demand it on the ice. Gone are the days of the Sedins getting abused. I think we will see a very determined, aggressive group moving forward.

30 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

Gotta love Guddy's uppercut right to the face of that Tampa plug.

Virt has to learn though if he's going to step in for a teammate and take a penalty he might as well do some damage. Stop being the friendly giant man!! He could learn something from Hutton.  

Agreed here. Virt needs to find some inner badass because lord know his size warrants it.

Oh, and I also think Boeser should get a lot of kudos for standing up to Paquette after his targeted hit on Pettersson. Boeser is not a fighter, but he was the first one to approach Paquette and say "that is not okay". Hopefully more of Pettersson's team mates will stand up for him in the future when an opponent takes a run at him. 

4 minutes ago, NickTheGreek said:

Agreed here. Virt needs to find some inner badass because lord know his size warrants it.

the thing that's always been obvious about virtanen is that the things holding him back from reaching his potential are confidence and fear. that's finally started turning around this year, and hopefully he'll continue to get more and more involved to the point where he's no longer playing afraid. 

Virtanen is slowly and surely evolving into one of those pieces every team needs to win in this league. Not just the toughness, but you can see his vision and anticipation of the play get better every game. I've been as hard on Virt as anyone, but it seems like every game I'm thinking "Huh, that was pretty good. I haven't seen him do that before." Dude is becoming a key piece of the rebuild.

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Oh, and I also think Boeser should get a lot of kudos for standing up to Paquette after his targeted hit on Pettersson. Boeser is not a fighter, but he was the first one to approach Paquette and say "that is not okay". Hopefully more of Pettersson's team mates will stand up for him in the future when an opponent takes a run at him. 

You're damn right! That might have actually been my favourite moment of last night. When your star is standing up for your other star, that's a damn good thing that becomes infectious with the rest of the team. Or at least that's the hope

2 minutes ago, mephnick said:

Virtanen is slowly and surely evolving into one of those pieces every team needs to win in this league. Not just the toughness, but you can see his vision and anticipation of the play get better every game. I've been as hard on Virt as anyone, but it seems like every game I'm thinking "Huh, that was pretty good. I haven't seen him do that before." Dude is becoming a key piece of the rebuild.

Jake's passing and awareness has really improved. He's making plays now and turning into a more complete player. Patience is paying off with Jake.

Archived