The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

About Last Night

NickTheGreek

22 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

No thanks bud. I've seen it already and now I'm on a forum to share my opinion. I don't really care that you disagree as you clearly aren't interested in actually having a discussion. 

The discussion is a joke. Jake is the embodiment of never doing enough. Drops his gloves and punches Martel in the face  "needs to do more". Gudbranson throws one punch with his glove on with the ref between him and you are praising him. Lol. Okay bud. Jake will never do enough in most of your eyes regardless of what he does. Good on Guddy for essentially sucker punching the dude that was already fighting Jake though. 

5 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

The discussion is a joke. Jake is the embodiment of never doing enough. Drops his gloves and punches Martel in the face  "needs to do more". Gudbranson throws one punch with his glove on with the ref between him and you are praising him. Lol. Okay bud. Jake will never do enough in most of your eyes regardless of what he does. Good on Guddy for essentially sucker punching the dude that was already fighting Jake though. 

Seems to be that's your opinion not mine actually... but assume what you like. 

I'm saying Jake need to be meaner. That is my opinion. I don't know why you need to get so heated about it. 

12 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

Seems to be that's your opinion not mine actually... but assume what you like. 

I'm saying Jake need to be meaner. That is my opinion. I don't know why you need to get so heated about it. 

He is slowly starting to realize how much stronger he is than most players. Another year or two and I think he will be what they saw in Jr.

1 hour ago, NickTheGreek said:

I've flip flopped this year. Been on team tank for a while, then on team win, then back to team tank. And now? I'm on team last night.

I wake up today not giving a rat's behind that we lost the game. For the first time in a long looooong time, I'm over the moon proud of the team I support.

Finally, a Canuck player (multiple actually) stood up for their teammate right before our very own eyes. It was unbelievable

If what we saw last night can carry on (and there's no reason it shouldn't) we're witnessing a team truly come together. This season has been a fun one so far with the great play of all the young dudes but there was something missing from this team that left a frustrated taste in my mouth. That taste went away last night and I hope it can stay away for a long time.

Whether you're on team tank or team win, if you're a real Canucks fan, you're definitely on Team Last Night

Amen and Hallelujah!

I actually stood up and was yelling at the TV and cheering when the scrums happened. I have'nt been that passionate about a game in quite a while. 

Not say that I hope to see it all the time but it s good to see they re willing to draw down when it s necessary.

Don t need to see Brock and Elias in them though.

That wasn't a 5-2 game last night.  We hung with the best team in the league until the last 4 minutes with our backup goalie.  I think that game will be one of the most important of the season for this team, they played hard and tougher than any other game this year.  Stoked on how things are tracking.  I think that was Virtanen's best game as a canuck.

I loved watching the game last night, but it worried me too. Not just Stecher getting blind-sided, but what would happen to Pettersson and Boeser. Where was Leivo during all of this? I can't recall. I think after seeing the fight back from the Canucks, Benning may address this with his next trade/signing. The league doesn't have their back and they will have to fend for themselves.

Goldobin looked lost out there last night too. I would be okay if they traded Goldobin to upgrade the grit factor up front. 

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I loved watching the game last night, but it worried me too. Not just Stecher getting blind-sided, but what would happen to Pettersson and Boeser. Where was Leivo during all of this? I can't recall. I think after seeing the fight back from the Canucks, Benning may address this with his next trade/signing. The league doesn't have their back and they will have to fend for themselves.

Goldobin looked lost out there last night too. I would be okay if they traded Goldobin to upgrade the grit factor up front. 

Leivo was right in the middle of it man. Even came down the dressing room hallway with a giant fu*king smirk on his face. Not his fault that Green decided to throw Goldobin on that line again. 

I knew we weren’t beating Tampa. They are in their prime and contenders while we are in the midst of a rebuild and starting to turn a corner. 

But our team showed a ton of spirit and pushback by not letting the Lightning push us around and take shots at our star players. If only our Powerplay was better we could’ve won that game.

Give us a year or two and we will be clobbering these mofos. 

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Oh, and I also think Boeser should get a lot of kudos for standing up to Paquette after his targeted hit on Pettersson. Boeser is not a fighter, but he was the first one to approach Paquette and say "that is not okay". Hopefully more of Pettersson's team mates will stand up for him in the future when an opponent takes a run at him. 

I love the pack mentality. For the non-fighters on the team, go after the guy anyway, you're going to have the cavalry coming behind you.

17 minutes ago, Dombrova22 said:

Leivo was right in the middle of it man. Even came down the dressing room hallway with a giant fu*king smirk on his face. Not his fault that Green decided to throw Goldobin on that line again. 

That's good to hear, I missed seeing everything as it was unfolding. Haven't watched video. Leivo looks like a guy who doesn't take a lot of crap from anyone. Glad he's on our team. They need to keep a winger with some size and grit on Pettersson's line. Goldobin has some skill, but I would prefer the Canucks had more snarl.

12 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

The league's DOP(e)S have their fingers in their ears, hands over their eyes, and are chanting "lalalalala we can't see/hear you".  :rolleyes:

I have to believe they didn’t see this angle.  If you were making up an animated graphic of a blindside hit to the head it would look exactly like this.  One of the other angles wasn’t nearly as clear.

Also, I believe the wording is the head being the principle point of contact and not the initial point of contact.

Apparently when in discussion with the Canucks this morning the league’s explanation was that he hit the shoulder first and then brushed off it to the head incidentally.  There is no argument that the main (principle) point of contact here was the head even if there was slight contact with the shoulder first.

Maybe Benning should forward this video to the league and thank them for their clarification about this being a clean play that we can teach our players going forward. (I know that it wouldn’t help in reality... just being snarky)

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

That's good to hear, I missed seeing everything as it was unfolding. Haven't watched video. Leivo looks like a guy who doesn't take a lot of crap from anyone. Glad he's on our team. They need to keep a winger with some size and grit on Pettersson's line. Goldobin has some skill, but I would prefer the Canucks had more snarl.

100% agreed. I know Green is just trying to get Goldobin going... but I think he would have already figured things out if he ever was going to. Especially playing with those two. Just my opinion though. 

1 hour ago, Provost said:

This is a definitive angle on the Stecher hit.  I don’t know how they can say the head wasn’t the prime point of contact.

The head is the only point of contact.  Whether intentional or not, the league should suspend this player.  It's a reckless play.  

14 minutes ago, Provost said:

I have to believe they didn’t see this angle.  If you were making up an animated graphic of a blindside hit to the head it would look exactly like this.  One of the other angles wasn’t nearly as clear.

Also, I believe the wording is the head being the principle point of contact and not the initial point of contact.

Apparently when in discussion with the Canucks this morning the league’s explanation was that he hit the shoulder first and then brushed off it to the head incidentally.  There is no argument that the main (principle) point of contact here was the head even if there was slight contact with the shoulder first.

Maybe Benning should forward this video to the league and thank them for their clarification about this being a clean play that we can teach our players going forward. (I know that it wouldn’t help in reality... just being snarky)

There is no way they didn't have all angles available.  If not, then it really is a Mickey Mouse operation. No, they saw it, and chose not to act. Why is the question.

Perhaps Bettman has given orders that a lot of head shot majors and suspensions made public for those, is not good publicity. So do call the obvious ones, but if you can, avoid calling anything major on the ice, and further if the DOPS can find even a slight brush of the cloth of the other players shoulder before 99% of the force goes into the head, then use the old "principle point of contact" to cover it up. Now to best get away with this, do that more with games played on the west coast, like Vancouver, where games are too late for most viewers in the more populated eastern hockey world.  So there'd be less outcry in general.

But at least we now seemingly have realized we are on our own. And have to take care of it on the ice. That is Bettman's message to us. Can u imagine if we'd let that hit slide again, turn the other cheek and say we'll let the league handle it?  Because then we'd wake up today without ANY payback whatsoever. At least we got our pound of flesh.

27 minutes ago, Provost said:

I'm sorry, but if the angle exists, dops saw it. 

Archived