The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler on the powerplay

Silky mitts

Edler needs to be taken off the first unit ASAP, how the coaching staff can’t realize this baffles me. He constantly makes terrible decisions shooting into the oppositions shins and has blinders on, never passes to ep or brock when they are ready to tee it up . Especially EP I can remeber so many times even yesterday petey is wide open in his wheelhouse but this guy can’t spot him if his life depended on it. Hutton belongs on the top unit atleast he knew what to do and that was to just set up Brock and petey , no coincidence we haven’t seen Ep unleash his one timer since edler has been back on the unit. Edler should be dropped to the second unit since it is garbage anyways and put hutton back on the top one.

Edler had a great start to the season, but he's slowly going back to the old Edler. It's actually kind of frustrating to watch. It sucks we have no legit top 4 LD outside of Edler. He has way too much work on his plate. He'd be amazing with minutes more in line with Tanev. 18-20min a game would be fine. But his game slightly suffers when he needs to push 22-24 minutes. He had like 30 last night.

PP desperately needs someone with some speed on the blueline. Hutton has his moments, but I dunno. He doesn't have that poise he had when he was a rookie and he was handling the puck like a magician. 

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Edler had a great start to the season, but he's slowly going back to the old Edler. It's actually kind of frustrating to watch. It sucks we have no legit top 4 LD outside of Edler. He has way too much work on his plate. He'd be amazing with minutes more in line with Tanev. 18-20min a game would be fine. But his game slightly suffers when he needs to push 22-24 minutes. He had like 30 last night.

PP desperately needs someone with some speed on the blueline. Hutton has his moments, but I dunno. He doesn't have that poise he had when he was a rookie and he was handling the puck like a magician. 

But Hutton realized that to score on the powerplay setting up ep and brock constantly leads to goals, edler enjoys shooting into shins 

2 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

But Hutton realized that to score on the powerplay setting up ep and brock constantly leads to goals, edler enjoys shooting into shins 

He's been shooting into shins for 6+ years now. I am more worried about actually getting into the zone, will worry about what we do once we actually get there. Hutton might be our best option currently though, outside of a certain NCAA player we can't use just yet.

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

He's on the PP because his shot is a threat, I agree his passing is abysmal and he makes bonehead plays but he's the best we have.  

He’s better off on the second unit then don’t you agree? We already have Ep and brock for clappers on the top unit. They are by far the best shooters on the team and the entire powerplay should be focusing on them getting shots off.

4 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

He's on the PP because his shot is a threat, I agree his passing is abysmal and he makes bonehead plays but he's the best we have.  

His shot is a threat of giving up a shorthanded breakaway if anything. Guy hasn't had more than 3 PP goals in the last 3 seasons. For a guy spoonfed PP time with 2 of the best passers this franchise has ever seen that isn't exactly a good endorsement of his "threatening" shot. Then again without the PP this guy losses roughly half his points.

6 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Yesterday could have been an entirely different game if we could score on the powerplay ..

Yes you're right. But not scoring isn't Edlers fault...

He's trying to get pucks on net to get a deflection or rebound goal... EP almost got one on an Edler rebound but Vasilevsky robbed him.

Edler is our #1 Dman. Edler is our best D threat on the PP.

It would be absolutely silly to take him off the PP. People on these forums just plain and simple don't like Edler because they need a scapegoat.

12 minutes ago, apollo said:

Yes you're right. But not scoring isn't Edlers fault...

He's trying to get pucks on net to get a deflection or rebound goal... EP almost got one on an Edler rebound but Vasilevsky robbed him.

Edler is our #1 Dman. Edler is our best D threat on the PP.

It would be absolutely silly to take him off the PP. People on these forums just plain and simple don't like Edler because they need a scapegoat.

I agree he is our number one ,but I feel he can be better utilized on the pathetic second unit which is let’s be honest very unthreatening 

12 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Didn't he score a PP goal 2 games ago?

The guy's a tank, he played 30 minutes last night against the Bolts and finished with an even +/-

He's been playing with Petterson for not even half of one season.  The opposition have to respect Edler's position at the point because he can shoot, which opens up more room for Petey and Brock

Yeah and then he fails to see and distribute the puck to them 

If this is a rebuild with youth then let Hutton play some time on the !st pp unit.  Edler in my opinion is not our #1 d man in any part of the game.  Too slow, bonehead plays, give aways, inaccurate passes, etc, etc, etc.  When he is out there everyone just holds their breath, just hoping that he doesn't cough up the puck (again).

27 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

He's our best shooter and has the best offensive vision of all our defensemen. He's not the greatest, but we don't exactly have great options right now and I'd say he's the best we've got.

Our powerplay has looked anemic since he is back . Not a single Ep one timer , Hutton had it right feeding ep on his unstoppable shot , how edler can’t recognize this is beyond me and and on brown 

5 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Our powerplay has looked anemic since he is back . Not a single Ep one timer , Hutton had it right feeding ep on his unstoppable shot , how edler can’t recognize this is beyond me and and on brown 

Edler himself has scored 2 powerplay goals in his last 7 games and had the primary assist on Boeser's PPG against Nashville. In watching the games, it's clear that Edler is passing to EP plenty on the PP, he's just not scoring on as many of them as before. Edler frequently passes to both Boeser and EP on the PP.

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Edler himself has scored 2 powerplay goals in his last 7 games and had the primary assist on Boeser's PPG against Nashville. In watching the games, it's clear that Edler is passing to EP plenty on the PP, he's just not scoring on as many of them as before. Edler frequently passes to both Boeser and EP on the PP.

A lot of his passes are when they have already sunken down low and not in a position to one time it anymore , his awareness needs to improve , seems he can’t figure out when to shoot and when to pass. 

Archived