The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tanking Economy Will Affect NHL?

Rate this topic

17 hours ago, skolozsy2 said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa...the Hawks dont "stink", they're merely lying low in the weeds, preparing to pounce on the those glorious Jack Hughes Sweepstakes.

So you have Kane, Teows, Seabrook, and Keith but you still need to tank to get Hughes? You guys are where we were after our Tortorella year. Too stubborn, too stale and too strapped to do anything until your core leaves and with thier contracts, you guys will be running on fumes for a while.

23 hours ago, morrissex95 said:

The economy isn't tanking.

The US unemployment is the lowest it's been in 50 years.

Canadian economy is doing pretty well too

Just saw an article on ZEROHEDGE calling this the worst Dec since the Great Depression.

I'm not sure you & I are reading the same sources?

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Chicago is a city that supports its teams. Be it the Bears, Cubs, Bulls, Blackhawks. There are cities in the US that have great support for its teams.

San Jose, Nashville, and yes..(groan) Vegas. But there are teams like Florida, Carolina, Arizona, that lose money. Even New Jersey has been on shaky financial ground.

That's why expansion is a bit of a sham. It provides teams that lose money expansion fees, so it's owners can line the pockets to stem the bleeding. 

Having lots of teams makes a TV contract more lucrative. But long term considerations have to look at teams that fail to find a market. Hockey also needs to find a way to expand it's talent base. Having bigger player base, and finding ways to make the game more affordable, so more kids can get into hockey. Be it trying to improve the CIS.

Or helping establish a true junior system in the US. (Outside of the US cities that are in the CHL). Perhaps even working in communities to get high schools into hockey.

(Having hockey equipment on consignment, getting deals on unsold equipment and skates?)

You hit on a lot of important topics.  I feel like I'm just giving quick "brush off" kind of answers to your insights, and for that I apologize.  Trying to prevent this response from being too long winded.

Being a Chicago sports fan, I have had to begrudgingly accept that being in a big market, my teams will perpetually be supporting the smaller market teams. This is regardless of the sport or the commissioner.  Nothing I can do about it....my Bulls ticket will always be more than a Pacers ticket, my Cubs ticket will always be 5× that of a Pirates ticket, my Hawks ticket will always offset the price of a Coyotes ticket.  I accept this because it's good for hockey.  We need hockey in Arizona because it gave us Austen Matthews, we need hockey in Florida because it produced the Hughes brothers, we need hockey in California because it gave us Thatcher Demko.  A non traditional, unprofitable market can still be the foundation that gives us some great hockey players from areas we never expected. 

Working in amatuer hockey for the last 18 years, the NHL under Gary Bettman has been OUTSTANDING at providing its local youth programs with free hockey equipment and starter kits to help get kids involved in hockey without cost becoming prohibitive.   Hockey is outrageously expensive in the States, and you would really have to work in the industry to appreciate all the small gestures the NHL has made to alleviate those costs for the financially strapped.   Before Gary, these type of programs and incentives didn't exist.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Economic talking heads sound dramatic again, as of late. Apparently reasons are increasing that the economy resembles a leaning Jenga tower.

In another month I believe there is some kinda' "opt-out" clause for the current CBA. Should another lehman-type bust occur, I wonder the effect this will have between the two entities?

Something tells me the owners are going to try & squeeze the NHLPA, next round of bargaining. Otoh, they are prob looking forward to pocketing them juicy expansion fees. Just seems there are more issues to haggle/argue over.

• 6 months later...

March 11..12th, (here in Japan)

On returning home, heard news of NBA season kaiboshed.

Looks like this Corona-pandemic will be devastating to many sectors(or everyone?!) of the general economy. Those recent 84-88 mill cap-estimates are slumber-dreams while sleeping on Fantasy Isle, at this point.

Whenever this nightmare ends, when they start it up again, wouldn't be surprised if they have to make major CBA adjustments/alterations. As markets crash(so too will currency?) we might come out the other side with a completely different/new economic reality.

Don't think many folks can appreciate how profoundly upturned everything will be. Some serious dominoes will be rolling over the coming months/yrs...

If it’s not fully cancelled, which I think it will be, wouldn’t it be fun to qualify all teams and have a massive best-of-three playoffs until there are 16 teams left whereby the best-of-three format becomes the regular best-of-seven for the last four rounds?

That would recoup a lot of money.

Edit:

Ok.... apparently this is already a discussion.

Edited by Me_

Wonder if the KHL might one day PASS the NHL?

I'm not sure the(or shall I say, us) hoi polloi can fully grasp what's goin down here. The system will probably crash, pretty soon. When they are INJECTing trillions weekly into the banks/markets, & it's not moving the needle..well my friends, the party's over.

As I'd heard an expert amusingly say, "The black swans are falling from the sky, as if they were made by BOEING!"

We just cannot comprehend(nor accept) this transpiring reality.

- We've all witnessed/lived through about 6 or 7 decades of the globally privileged, maximizing their wealth/tech/clout. Decade over decade gains. We become lured into believing it lasts forever.

- The past few decades have been largely fueled by cheap debt(WELCOME to Fantasy Island!)

- The cheap oil(as in, easy to obtain) is mostly yesteryear. Soon it gets very costly..either in currency, alliances or environmental-excess.

- The west can no longer BULLY the non-compliant. Military supremacy is now a myth.

- As all of this becomes increasingly & universally accepted, expect currencies to resemble land mines(buried, or tripped off)

Both Russia & China purport to hold one HELLUVAlotta' Gold. 20,000 tonnes in the case of China. Apparently the US hasn't shown/proven their gold holdings for decades. Also hear China is working on/visualizing a crypto-yuan that WILL be gold-backed. Prob they & Russia will be setting the economic rules.

I'd started wondering 2 or 3 yrs back, whether true professional player loyalty resides in pursuit of Lord Stanley's silver, or rather, chasing the most sexy currency(& lots of it) that they can get their grimy meathooks on. I suspect we might soon find out.

• 7 months later...
On 12/21/2018 at 6:57 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Let's say(for sake of discussion) there is a severe downturn, that affects the masses pretty significantly. Cuts entertainment spending, of course. I'm contemplating league-effects:

- Are there any vulnerable ownerships(esp locales where situation is exacerbated)?

- Could this influence CBA acrimony? (or conversely, bring parties to quick agreement)?

- Perhaps wind up with a team or two changing markets?(Quebec must hope so!)

- Affect decisions to arrive in/leave NA?

This thread was started almost 2 yrs back. I was anticipating trouble through an economic-cause. Obviously COVID is the big domino that kicked off the frenzy.

From where we sit today, would suggest these questions are still relevant. That BOG & NHLPA rushed Soooo quickly to draw up a new CBA, is a pretty good indication of how serious & severe they are currently viewing the whole kettle of fish.

Have to expect a further rise to power of leagues like the KHL & SHL in relation to their NA'n counterparts.

If we were ever to stumble into Utopia, I'd love to one day see the Cdn cities/owners question being joined at the hip to this corrupt, US-interest driven league. The Cdn fan has been maliciously manipulated & duped for 3 decades now.