The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Question] Would you take on Bobby Ryan's contract in order to get Chabot?

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

because Chabot is turning out to be something special. Woo might, we'll see, but you don't get many chances to stack the deck defensively. 

Ryan can be bought out (its better than Loui's), sent to the Marlies, who cares, it won't matter. 

but who else are we going to have to give up or possibly a 1st rd pick?

Just now, Hairy Kneel said:

In my other post I suggested Virtanen, Hutton, Gagner, 2nd round pick for Ryan ($2 mil retained) and Chabot.  Might have to add a little more.  Either another pick or prospect or maybe even a guy like Goldobin.  But along those lines.  By taking on Ryan's contract it saves us from trading a top young player or first round pick in exchange.

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

Easy yes from literally anyone you ask. But it does leave a lot of hope that some of our kids take 1 or 2 year deals after their ELCs to allow us to ride out Ryan and Eriksson's contracts. Or even better they leave money on the table so we can squeeze them all in.

Potentially at that point we try to trade Eriksson and Ryan, along with assets for cap relief.  After a couple more years of each of their contracts are burned we can maybe attach a late first round pick (assuming we're at a point where we are competing for the cup) in order to get rid of them.  A late first rounder at that point won't kill us, but adding Chabot now helps a ton.

Just now, underrated said:

Potentially at that point we try to trade Eriksson and Ryan, along with assets for cap relief.  After a couple more years of each of their contracts are burned we can maybe attach a late first round pick (assuming we're at a point where we are competing for the cup) in order to get rid of them.  A late first rounder at that point won't kill us, but adding Chabot now helps a ton.

Really depends on what we lose to move those guys. Those contracts are fat and ugly. If we lose guys like Dahlen or Lind to move em I'd say it becomes a lot less cost effective for Chabot. Even taking in Ryan's contract they will ask for Boeser, Petey, Bo etc type player going back. Chabot is bordering on point per game on a team that was supposed to be worse than ours. Guy is flirting with becoming a superstar. They aren't cheap, especially when he's on his ELC still.

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

Really depends on what we lose to move those guys. Those contracts are fat and ugly. If we lose guys like Dahlen or Lind to move em I'd say it becomes a lot less cost effective for Chabot. Even taking in Ryan's contract they will ask for Boeser, Petey, Bo etc type player going back. Chabot is bordering on point per game on a team that was supposed to be worse than ours. Guy is flirting with becoming a superstar. They aren't cheap, especially when he's on his ELC still.

Yeah if they ask for us to take Ryan and give a guy like Boeser, Petey or Bo, clearly we say no.  With the fact that no team would take Ryan even when Erik Karlsson was the bait, I think Ottawa realizes they're stuck with $30 million at this point because nobody will take him, not even for Erik Karlsson.  This is their one and only out from that deal, is to include a guy like Chabot.  I don't think any team would take Ryan for a first round pick.

1 minute ago, underrated said:

Yeah if they ask for us to take Ryan and give a guy like Boeser, Petey or Bo, clearly we say no.  With the fact that no team would take Ryan even when Erik Karlsson was the bait, I think Ottawa realizes they're stuck with $30 million at this point because nobody will take him, not even for Erik Karlsson.  This is their one and only out from that deal, is to include a guy like Chabot.  I don't think any team would take Ryan for a first round pick.

Problem with Ryan being tied to Karlsson was the teams that wanted Karlsson couldn't manage to take in 13mil in cap without gutting their team. Nor did it make sense to take in a bad contract when they are trying to compete. It was just too many pieces and complicated things too much. Especially when Ottawa clearly wanted to maximize value on Karlsson, which honestly they didn't even manage that imo. Ryan's contract is definitely movable, I just think they aren't willing to pay the prices teams want. I'd definitely take Ryan if it included Ottawa's first next year, but that's not something they are interested in.

we should offer Ottawa a decent proposal then if they refuse, offersheet Chabot that Melynk couldn't afford :bigblush:

all seriousness tho, Chabot is going to be special. He's having a Norris type season so far. Big, mobile, puck moving defenceman! 

2 hours ago, underrated said:

Ottawa is rebuilding and likely would not be willing to part with Chabot under almost any circumstances, I do understand that.  He's a key piece they are building around.  So granted this is very unlikely.  However there is one massive insane wildcard: Eugene Melnyk.  He's unpredictable, and it was clear they tried to part with Ryan as part of the Karlsson deal.  So it might be worth the Canucks reaching out to see just how badly they want to shed that contract.  This deal would save Melnyk $29 million dollars of his personal money, so I can't fully blame him even if it's bad for the on-ice product!

Assuming Ottawa would say yes (which they shouldn't...but might), would you be willing to take on Bobby Ryan's contract in order to acquire top young defenseman Thomas Chabot?  Ryan would also have to waive his NMC, but he might just to get out of Ottawa.

Keep in mind Bobby Ryan has four more years (including this season) on his deal at $7.25 million, and that would also complicated when starting to re-sign players.  But we could also maybe deal him when he only has a year left.  If we get Chabot, I don't see Ottawa also keeping part of his cap hit nor us dumping a guy like Eriksson.  I could only see them pulling the trigger if they fully walk away from Ryan's bad contract.

As for players we include, they may be interested in the expiring deals of Ben Hutton and Michael Del Zotto.  Maybe they'd take Gagner? Or likely they'd want at least one young player in return so it doesn't look as much like a cap dump.  A guy like Goldobin?  Or do you think they'd need a good young player also going back their way to agree?

Acquiring an elite young defenseman without trading an elite young player or top draft pick is nearly impossible except for a unique situation like this.  And Chabot would absolutely be a massive part of a young core going forward.  Personally I'd even be willing to add non-elite young talent to the deal to make it happen.  

So two questions:

1 - Would you be willing to take on Ryan's contract in exchange for Chabot?  Do you think the Aquilini's would?

2 - Say Ottawa is open to the concept, what players do you think we'd have to include? 

My answers:

1 - Absolutely, Chabot is a game changing defenseman and if Melnyk is desperate enough to do this, then we should jump on it.

2 - I think for PR purposes the Sens couldn't accept a deal unless it looked at least slightly like they're getting young value in return.  So maybe they'd accept a deal like Ryan and Chabot for Hutton (expiring but RFA and young), Goldobin (also young RFA), 2nd round pick and maybe we can add in Gagner too.  I could see them holding out for Virtanen over Goldobin, which personally I'd still be willing to do.

Thoughts?

It’s a great thought but there’s no way the Sens are giving up Chabot.

13 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

there's a pretty short list of guys you'd protect, but of course thats who Ottawa would want. But its all academic, for the same reasons we could take Ryan on, Ottawa can now not have to pay to dump him. 

Archived