The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning finds another gold nugget

*Buzzsaw*

I am speaking of course, of Josh Leivo.

Considering the outlay, he has been a big shot in the arm for the team.

Four goals and an assist in 9 games... and the goals were not flukes.

It is not simply a case of him picking up points because he is playing on a line with Petey and Boes... he does have genuine skills.

Excellent accurate wrister, good physical work on the boards, good hand eye for deflections, knows where to position himself and has the speed to play the uptempo Green game.

Maybe he is on a hot streak... maybe he will cool down, but right now, he is looking like another example of Bennings ability to find treasure in other team's discards.

Hmm I know his stat line is good but it looks like he is fighting it out there when it comes to creating chemistry with anyone.

Hopefully it’s jist because he hasn’t had the practise time but he does look a little odd, but hey keep scoring goals and that’s fine 

18 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

I remember when Brendan Leipsic was a gold nugget. Both Golobin and Dahlen are also 'gold nuggets'.

Once the 'new team adrenaline' rush wears off we'll get a good look at what we have in him. Until then, no 4x4s for this man please. 

On pace for 47 points... that's golden.

stop jumping the gun.. it's been 9 games and he has been great, but golden nugget? rofl.. 

This is like saying Leipsic is a golden nugget because he had 9 points in 14 games when we first traded for him. Or Granlund is a golden nugget because he had 19 goals that 1 season playing with the Sedins. Impatient, naive post. 

Leivo's awesome. Such a likable guy and I've heard maybe 1 or 2 interviews from him.  You can just tell.

Leivo's sole ability to win puck battles and come out with the puck most of the time is probably enough for him to warrant a spot in the line-up. Does everything right. A far-cry from the likes of Leipsic, Goldobin, and yes, Baertschi, though we do miss his offensive influence.

7 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

I remember when Brendan Leipsic was a gold nugget. Both Golobin and Dahlen are also 'gold nuggets'.

Once the 'new team adrenaline' rush wears off we'll get a good look at what we have in him. Until then, no 4x4s for this man please. 

You forgot Vey and Pooliot

8 hours ago, Zhukini said:

Hmm I know his stat line is good but it looks like he is fighting it out there when it comes to creating chemistry with anyone.

Hopefully it’s jist because he hasn’t had the practise time but he does look a little odd, but hey keep scoring goals and that’s fine 

I kind of disagree with this because while he hasn't found specific chemistry with one line (Green's blender, which I don't mind btw as it seems like he's adapting to different teams) he looked very good on the Pettersson-Boeser line and it looks like he was taken off because they wanted to get Goldobin going again. Leivo was creating chances on the Horvat line and last night he looked good with Gaudette. He's bringing energy to whichever line he is on and opening up space. He's putting up decent numbers in the meantime as well.

However I do agree with some of the other posters that this could simply be the new team adrenaline, so we will see how he fares over a longer duration.

7 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Fair enough point. We can revisit Leivo after 40 games. What I like about his game is he is big enough to have net front battle. He has a willingness to go there. He has enough pro experience not to be overwhelmed by this adjustment. The Canucks have needed players like this for some time. Leivo, Jake, Horvat and even Eriksson can make these plays. 

IMHO Vancouver has to get bigger to be a serious CUP contender. Horvat is top 6, Virtanen is knocking on top 6 and Leivo might be. We don't know yet. I don't talk about Ericksson because he won't be here when this team seriously contends for a CUP. 

Great signing, Benning does a lot of things well. All of his draft picks and trades haven't been excellent, but for the most part, he's done a great job. He rebuilt this team and the future looks good.

The Canucks are a feisty bunch this year, they're playing with more grit and passion, not so passive as they once were. Pettersson's line needs a winger with size and speed, who can make plays and go to the dirty areas, even keep an eye out for Elias and Brock. Maybe Benning also goes out and gets an upgrade on Leivo, then putting Leivo on the 3rd line. Not sure who that upgrade would be though. I'd like to get Ferland in that spot. 

Leivo has been a breathe of fresh air. Maybe a bit premature to call him a Gold nugget as he's only had 9 games with us, but considering what was traded for him, I'm not exactly complaining either. 

To elaborate on Leipsic, he was a steal in the sense thay we traded an unused asset in Holm for about 40 games and 15 points of play.  It sucked to lose him on waivers, but I'd consider it a win if spun the right way lol. 

Archived