The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning finds another gold nugget

*Buzzsaw*

9 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

I remember when Brendan Leipsic was a gold nugget. Both Golobin and Dahlen are also 'gold nuggets'.

Once the 'new team adrenaline' rush wears off we'll get a good look at what we have in him. Until then, no 4x4s for this man please. 

What exactly are the great Phillip Holm and Jannik Hansen doing these days for their respective NHL teams?

Breaking, this just in - neither are in the NHL anymore. 

While Leipsic is no longer on the team, and Goldobin on a 50 point pace, you have to consider that the pieces we gave up for him would have contributed less than what the returns have contributed. So they are wins for GMJB. 

6 hours ago, Drakrami said:

stop jumping the gun.. it's been 9 games and he has been great, but golden nugget? rofl.. 

This is like saying Leipsic is a golden nugget because he had 9 points in 14 games when we first traded for him. Or Granlund is a golden nugget because he had 19 goals that 1 season playing with the Sedins. Impatient, naive post. 

Granlund: 61 points for the Canucks and an important penalty killer

Shinkaruk: 4 points for the Flames and a 4th line plug in the AHL

But please, go on. 

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Great signing, Benning does a lot of things well. All of his draft picks and trades haven't been excellent, but for the most part, he's done a great job. He rebuilt this team and the future looks good.

The Canucks are a feisty bunch this year, they're playing with more grit and passion, not so passive as they once were. Pettersson's line needs a winger with size and speed, who can make plays and go to the dirty areas, even keep an eye out for Elias and Brock. Maybe Benning also goes out and gets an upgrade on Leivo, then putting Leivo on the 3rd line. Not sure who that upgrade would be though. I'd like to get Ferland in that spot. 

Rick Nash

1 minute ago, Megalodon said:

Rick Nash

I never even gave him a second of thought, but it's interesting. He becomes a UFA after this season, but really, he's struggled since the 2015/16 season and isn't getting any younger. I wonder if playing with Pettersson would breathe new life into his career.

14 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Now if only he can unearth a right shot depth D-man with a bomb for the PP... 

Nah Leivo's been great here.  Glad to have him following the likes of Sven, Goldie, Marky, Granny...

Marky was a Gillis acquisition was he not? Probably the last move he made before getting canned.

12 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Marky was a Gillis acquisition was he not? Probably the last move he made before getting canned.

Yes, I think it was. And I believe just after that he traded Schneids to NJ for their #9 (Horvat), giving the Canucks two 1st round picks. Gillis let Jordan Schroeder (his former 1st from 2009) walk. Great that he drafted Bo with the #9 that year, but then he drafted Shinkaruk at #24! Those were pretty uncertain times.

6 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I kind of disagree with this because while he hasn't found specific chemistry with one line (Green's blender, which I don't mind btw as it seems like he's adapting to different teams) he looked very good on the Pettersson-Boeser line and it looks like he was taken off because they wanted to get Goldobin going again. Leivo was creating chances on the Horvat line and last night he looked good with Gaudette. He's bringing energy to whichever line he is on and opening up space. He's putting up decent numbers in the meantime as well.

However I do agree with some of the other posters that this could simply be the new team adrenaline, so we will see how he fares over a longer duration.

Well peeps also forget there's an adjustment time to a different system but if he's done this good already then it shows talent in the middle of it and then on top of it the adjustment to new players too...

17 hours ago, Zhukini said:

Hmm I know his stat line is good but it looks like he is fighting it out there when it comes to creating chemistry with anyone.

Hopefully it’s jist because he hasn’t had the practise time but he does look a little odd, but hey keep scoring goals and that’s fine 

17 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Beautiful pass to Gaudette tonight too but wasn't counted as an assist as Gaudette lost possession to a Blue's D for a moment. 

16 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

I remember when Brendan Leipsic was a gold nugget. Both Golobin and Dahlen are also 'gold nuggets'.

Once the 'new team adrenaline' rush wears off we'll get a good look at what we have in him. Until then, no 4x4s for this man please. 

A Mathew Barzal reminds us, pretty much every new acquisition is viewed positively, especially guys who are acquired at relatively low cost. We always want to believe that Benning has found a hidden gem. But despite a long list of such players acquired during the time Benning has been GM, the team struggled pretty badly the last few years.

The key to this year's improvement is EP40, and the continued progress of Horvat and Boeser -- all first round picks. Those are guys driving the bus and several other guys are being pulled along.

I am happy with the Leivo pickup but it is too early to celebrate just yet.

When asked about Leivo, Green has been pretty cautious, saying that Leivo had the opportunity to show he belonged in the top 6 but still had work to do. Personally I don't see Leivo playing on the first line. I don't think that Leivo contributes a lot to EP and I would rather see someone with more offensive skill and creativity playing with EP and Boeser. Leivo is more of a "play a simple game" or "play a straight line game" kind of guy.

Leivo has been pretty fortunate with his goals. His shooting percentage is 20%, which is obviously unsustainable and he has only 1 assist in 9 games despite getting a lot of ice time with EP and Boeser. That is a very low assist number playing with those two guys.

Reminds me of when Ronalds Kenins broke in with the Canucks and had a couple of quick goals on low probability (i.e. lucky) shots and there was lots of optimism. But it was not sustainable.

I like Leivo playing with Gaudette. They both play a high-energy hard-nosed game with responsible defense and can provide some secondary scoring. So I see those guys as complementary to each other and as valuable players in a bottom six role. 

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yes, I think it was. And I believe just after that he traded Schneids to NJ for their #9 (Horvat), giving the Canucks two 1st round picks. Gillis let Jordan Schroeder (his former 1st from 2009) walk. Great that he drafted Bo with the #9 that year, but then he drafted Shinkaruk at #24! Those were pretty uncertain times.

He traded Schneider first and we ran with lack an luo for a while before we traded for Marky.

As for the 2013 draft shink was without a doubt the BPA at the time. New Jersey had brought him in for 3 interviews and was expected to take him at 9 (if they didnt trade the pick) most mock drafts had him at 10. 

Archived