The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Western Separatism

ABNuck

2 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

It would be the other way around 

Nobody is leaving. People are slowly waking up to the idea that anti-Canadian elements are gleefully manipulating provincial medias and creating an 'us vs them' mentality for foreign competitors to exploit. As such, the sentiment of weakening provincial powers is growing across Canada and its a good thing. 
Canada is coast to coast. And Canada has to act in benefit of most Canadians. Doesn't matter if they live in Ontario or Quebec or Nunavut. 

1 minute ago, canuckistani said:

I got news for you. If you are trying to be a high-school teacher anywhere on the planet that is not a private school, you are in the wrong business if you are expecting to have any significant disposable income. 

If you wanna make money, STEM or trades are the only way or at worst, a BBA if you have amazing networking skills.

You are missing my point.

My point is how the governments in Canada have allowed universities to extend their academic programs to ridiculous lengths in a pursuit of higher fees from students......  This rip off has basically made post secondary education in Canada unaffordable to those that are not from rich families.....

Thus rich families can fund their kids education and retain the top jobs.. eg. law school, dentist, doctor , engineer , teacher etc.....

The average to poor canadians are stuck with jobs in the decent paying but often physically demanding jobs in the  trades... or minimum wage services jobs...

Academic inflation has had a negative impact on the lives of the average Canadian. 

Would be great to see post sec programs shortened in duration with mandatory paid coops....  Top students should have tuition rebates.... or even free tuition. 

Reduce the number of university program  seats in   ( B.A's )  and instead increase places in STEM / Tech diploma' s  / skilled Trades programs.

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

My point is how the governments in Canada have allowed universities to extend their academic programs to ridiculous lengths in a pursuit of higher fees from students......  This rip off has basically made post secondary education in Canada unaffordable to those that are not from rich families.....

Its not unaffordable. Its affordable on loan. Education is unaffordable in countries that do not have student loans, bursaries etc. Try Malaysia or South Africa for example. You CANNOT get an education if you don't have money. Here, you can. 

Thus rich families can fund their kids education and retain the top jobs.. eg. law school, dentist, doctor , engineer , teacher etc.....

As a person in STEM field, most people i know who graduated with STEM degrees from North America did it on student loans. The rich actually have a disproportionate representation in arts, because poor people, who have to pay university fees via loan are much more likely to go for a 'safe-play' of engineering rather than 'i sunk 50K into studying philosophy and now i have to flip burgers at McDonalds'. 

The average to poor canadians are stuck with jobs in the decent paying but often physically demanding jobs in the  trades... or minimum wage services jobs...

Thats got nothing to do with being poor, thats got everything to do with not excelling in highschool in science and math. If you are not serious about science/math in high school, you are not getting into university level STEM fields. 

Academic inflation has had a negative impact on the lives of the average Canadian. 

Would be great to see post sec programs shortened in duration with mandatory paid coops....  Top students should have tuition rebates.... or even free tuition. 

Reduce the number of university program  seats in   ( B.A's )  and instead increase places in STEM / Tech diploma' s  / skilled Trades programs.

Mandatory co-ops are horrible. UWaterloo has it (or atleast, had it) for its engineering program and they get paid $12-15 an hour to do it- same as a summer job selling hot-dogs in PnE but way more demanding than flipping hot dogs in the warm summer sun. Why ? because employers are not stupid. If they know you HAVE to do Co-op, they are going to low-ball you. 

But yes, i will agree that arts program needs to be seriously nixed from funding. Its just a drain on the system producing meaningless degrees by and large.

36 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

the problem with useful and useless is far more so relevant depending on the field in question- outside of STEM field, its pretty useless in most cases. A son of a friend has 75K debt with a Bachelors in Philosophy. And i am like ' wtf are you gonna do with this ? this is saddled with debt for no good reason, you can read Neitzche or Kant from library all you wish'.

Exactly.

Charging for degrees in Philosophy, English, Political Science, Art History... What

The

&^@#

Those are not degrees.

If the Gov gave a crap they'd stop the charade and actually bridge the gap between industry and education.

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Surrey is 100 times nicer than any city in Alberta.    I have lived in both provinces.

Surrey is so much more beautiful than an Alberta city ....  and a bonus is that BC real estate actually goes up in price and makes for a solid investment.

Surrey is Canada’s dumping grounds. And No one sane brags about living in a dump. 

If Alberta ever learns to diversity their economy or actually invest some of their oil royalties ... maybe they can turn that province around......

What will happen to Alberta's economy when the courts decide Alberta companies need to start compensating BC cities for the damages due to their Oil economy...... ???

What would happen. Perhaps surrey could use the money to finally get the upgrade it needs. 

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Stop by my place in Crescent Beach....   looks like Hawaii where i live in Surrey.....

Crescent beach... haha oh man. I guess having a strong imagination is needed when you live in a garbage dump. I see why you changed you avatar. Closes thing you could find to oscar. 

4 hours ago, luckylager said:

I find it fun to bash Surrey too, however, you're wrong. BC is a "have Province". We can support ourselves, thanks.

I love B.C.  I got a summer place in Invermere.  And I head to fernie quite a bit for snowboarding. But honestly just can’t stand surrey. My sister moved out there for a year because van was too expensive and man was that ever a bad move. Top 5 worst town/cities I’ve been too in Canada....and thats saying a lot because I worked on the Rigs when I was younger so I stayed in some real sketchy towns. 

I know I started this as a bit of a tongue-in-cheek response to the revival (Brett Wilson) of the Western Separatist movement of late (similar to the steam it built up in the '80's under Peter Lougheed) but there have been a couple of interesting comments on here that I want to address:

1/ Telling me to get out of the country because of any speak of "breaking it up". Before passing such judgement I ask you 2 questions:

Firstly, tell me what it is that you have done for Canada (all of Canada, not just the city / province in which you reside). I for one, signed my name on the dotted line to serve and protect and give up my life if necessary for the people of Canada.

Secondly, tell me all that Eastern Canada has done for the West...other than use us as a bank to subsidize their wild and out of control spending? Where's the 2-way street? When Alberta first started to decline economically a few years back, it took a year of begging and debating in the House just to get the Feds to give us some of our cash-back...to help the "Canadian-born" Alberta oil patch worker...sure didn't feel like part of Canada then...

2/ Alberta is a crap hole...okay. I live in about a 4000 sq ft fully developed house with front attached double garage that is 13 yrs old. The latest average house prices in this area (all very similar single dwelling homes...newer part of Calgary called Evanston) is about $525,000. My wife and I make about $200,000 a year combined...and we usually end up with about $50,000 in disposable income at the end of the year (we both have car loans on brand new SUV and truck). So tell me, in Vancouver, what would that house be worth (I'm guessing in the $1.0 - $1.25m range)? How much disposable income would you have left after paying THAT mortgage (oh, plus the taxes on it, plus higher personal provincial income tax plus higher HST)? So I have a ton of spare cash to spend within the Canadian economy BECAUSE I live in a wonderful city / province. People joke about Albertans and all of our excess wealth...trust me, it's a double edged story (we make good money but enjoy a lower cost of living)...so what's not to love? Wouldn't Vancouver be a better city (and its residents a whole lot happier) if your mortgage was half what it is now?...like Calgary?

BC is where I was born and raised...and it truly is "Beautiful British Columbia"...that is why most talk of Western Separatism includes both of our provinces together...we have a lot more in common with each other than we do with Quebec, or Nova Scotia, or PEI.

But again...all in good fun...right!?

10 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Until we stop spending 90% of our tax dollars to prop up our medical system, teachers are not getting paid. 

1 hour ago, ABNuck said:

But again...all in good fun...right!?

most of the time :P 

its unfortunate that ego-manics in the AB mediascape like "W" Brett Wilson like to fuel one of the most ill-conceived separatist movements ever with the idea that Albertans "do more" than the rest of us tax paying flunkies, but it is what it is. It will only lead to an inevitable breakdown of good behaviour. 

10 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Surrey is Canada’s dumping grounds. And No one sane brags about living in a dump. 

I love B.C.  I got a summer place in Invermere.  And I head to fernie quite a bit for snowboarding. But honestly just can’t stand surrey. My sister moved out there for a year because van was too expensive and man was that ever a bad move. Top 5 worst town/cities I’ve been too in Canada....and thats saying a lot because I worked on the Rigs when I was younger so I stayed in some real sketchy towns. 

Surrey is a rough place. Only slightly better than Edmonton for dangerous crimes. 

https://www.macleans.ca/canadas-most-dangerous-places/

10 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Invermere must look great compared to the dump of a province you live in.  

My niece got transfered from Van to Calgary as a lawyer..... she has been in tears now for 2 years...

She describes living in Alberta as  2 weeks of summer each year surrounded by rig workers that drive F 350's and spit chewing tobacco as they walk outside.

Zero cultural activities in Calgary unless you consider rodeo / tractor pulls as  artistic events......     

People in BC really need to think about it before moving to the bitumen province...   I would actually recommend Ontario or Quebec for BC citizens looking for a change.

37 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

My niece got transfered from Van to Calgary as a lawyer..... she has been in tears now for 2 years...

She describes living in Alberta as  2 weeks of summer each year surrounded by rig workers that drive F 350's and spit chewing tobacco as they walk outside.

Zero cultural activities in Calgary unless you consider rodeo / tractor pulls as  artistic events......     

People in BC really need to think about it before moving to the bitumen province...   I would actually recommend Ontario or Quebec for BC citizens looking for a change.

I like the giant mosquito creatures in Alberta.  

Honestly, I think Alberta is way ahead of us for electric cars.  There are plug ins everywhere!  :shock:

1 minute ago, canuckistani said:

You mean same way rest of BC wants lower-mainland + Victoria-Saanich to stop trying to represent all of BC and treat them with more respect ?

Not exactly, I was thinking more on the lines of Vancouver vs Toronto or Montreal and Kelowna VS Windsor. Big cities vs Big cities and Smaller cities vs Smaller cities. Wait, how does the Lower-Mainland + Victoria-Saanich not respect the rest of BC?

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Invy is nice. Lots of good golfing although the lake isn’t that great for wake surfing. But there’s a reason I only go there for holidays and not choose to spend 90% of my year there. 

Tears of joy for finally being free of that pile of poop she lived in before. Hopefully she’s able to find herself a good man who able to provide for her and treat her with some respect instead of a lower class citizen unlike the drug dealers she’d be stuck choosing from in surrey. 

Artistic events is how you define enjoyment. Haha I’ll take the less stress and more financial freedom over watching the meth addicts burn out in your front yard or what ever else you call you art.  

You keep saying F350 like it’s a bad thing. But try pulling a boat, 5th wheel, snowmobile, or ATV in your Prius. For someone, who like your self, lives in close proximity to a ton of outdoor beauty, you sure don’t seem to like the idea of getting out and experiencing it.

Mean while you have a ton of posters on this board who’ve moved away and have nothing by great things to say about their experience. Extra income, better quality of life, not having to live next door to a crack house... you no all those things you don’t get to enjoy in surrey. 

11 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

You mean same way rest of BC wants lower-mainland + Victoria-Saanich to stop trying to represent all of BC and treat them with more respect ?

We saw a bit of a "case in point" with Alf's tongue in cheek remark about Albertans having plug-ins for their cars....

....that's something that those of us who grew up in Northern/Central BC know only too well. I had owned three vehicles, before I was able to purchase one without a block heater.

I actually have a bit of a hell story about one of those "plug-ins" in Manitoba, but I won't hijack the thread.

Archived