The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Western Separatism

ABNuck

15 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Absolute BS. Albertans are the highest earners in Canada and by a significant amount. BC ranks 4th.

Alberta

Saskatchewan

Ontario

BC

Alberta has to over pay....  thats the only way the Alberta companies  can attract people to live in a province that gets about 2 weeks of summer per year.......

3 hours ago, canuckistani said:

Yes. Best climate. Crappier everything else mostly. Less diversity than Ontario, less culture than Quebec, less ease of living than Alberta. And worse winters in my eyes. People make way too much about snow, but i grew up in a country that sees 45C in the summer and lived in Ontario for years. Give me the snowy, sunny -25 any day of the week over the depression inducing, sunlight starved west coast winter. 

okanagan baby best of both worlds

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Remember i lived in alberta and i am u of a alumni 

lol

calgary is a crap city with 2 weeks of summer per year 

but i do agree with u that victoria is lovely    In fact all of van isle is pretty amazing .... hopefully never ruined by a dirty alberta bitumen spill.  

No we are busy ruining it with bunker fuel from cruise ships and pumping sewage. You are not fooling anyone with your pretense about eco concern. 

7 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Alberta has to over pay....  thats the only way the Alberta companies  can attract people to live in a province that gets about 2 weeks of summer per year.......

Sure. But BC weather is MEH too when whole year is concerned. This is why the richer people don't retire in BC, they retire in California or Florida. 
Having better weather than rest of Canada doesnt change the fact that when 365 days of the year are taken as whole, BC's coastal weather is mediocre at best. 

I for one, will not be retiring here either - its Costa Rica for me. 

Better weather, just as beautiful and food is far fresher. Will come back for health checkups but thats it.

Just now, canuckistani said:

Sure. But BC weather is MEH too when whole year is concerned. This is why the richer people don't retire in BC, they retire in California or Florida. 
Having better weather than rest of Canada doesnt change the fact that when 365 days of the year are taken as whole, BC's coastal weather is mediocre at best. 

Better weather, just as beautiful and food is far fresher. Will come back for health checkups but thats it.

Pretty much everyone i know has a place in Costa Rica....

Jungles don't really interest me.  Way too much humidity.    I much prefer spending my time in South of France.....

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

Pretty much everyone i know has a place in Costa Rica....

Jungles don't really interest me.  Way too much humidity.    I much prefer spending my time in South of France.....

When you RETIRE, the whole idea is to pick a spot that suits you best for 365 days a year. South of France sucks in winter, aka 4 months. Costa Rica is not that humid compared to the monsoon belts of the world. But then again, you are a born and bred Canadian, so i don't expect you to have much appreciation of what the best weathers in the world feel like.

2 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Best option is  winters in  Hawaii, San Diego, Palm Springs... ..    Nov to March.    

BC  from April to October....  with a bit of summer holiday in August  to  South of France. 

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Best option is  winters in  Hawaii, San Diego, Palm Springs... ..    Nov to March.    

BC  from April to October....  with a bit of summer holiday in August  to  South of France. 

BC sux before may long weekend. I am having doubts of you being an actual lower-mainlander if you think best time to be in BC is before May long weekend. 

BC weather sucks from early october to late may. The entire period in there is meh or utter trash. 

So no, BC does not figure in top 10 of the weather from where i've been, not by a country mile and i've not been everywhere either. 
BC has best weather in Canada, if you dont mind the gloom overcast. Thats about it. 

Remember i lived in alberta and i am u of a alumni 

lol

calgary is a crap city with 2 weeks of summer per year 

but i do agree with u that victoria is lovely    In fact all of van isle is pretty amazing .... hopefully never ruined by a dirty alberta bitumen spill.  

Alumnus.

Yet another example of the crappy education standards in Alberta....:P

I don't agree with everything stani says but he is bang on over here. This squabbling over Alberta or BC, Surrey or Calgary is meaningless. Let's not pretend that anyone wouldn't swap places at a drop of a hat provided that enough of their asks were met. And if you wouldn't then you have to ask yourself wtf is wrong with you for showing such irrational loyalty to an artificial boundary.

15 minutes ago, Toews said:

I don't agree with everything stani says but he is bang on over here. This squabbling over Alberta or BC, Surrey or Calgary is meaningless. Let's not pretend that anyone wouldn't swap places at a drop of a hat provided that enough of their asks were met. And if you wouldn't then you have to ask yourself wtf is wrong with you for showing such irrational loyalty to an artificial boundary.

100 % disagree with this.

It is great when families put down roots and commit to a community for life and even better when its for multi generations.

I love going to small town Quebec where families often are all living in the same communiities now for  many many generations...  People have cousins all over their town /  village and people know each other  / help each other out.

I think a real weakness in Western Canada is how people tend to be migrant and move cities regularly.  Very little sense of community in many BC towns... and families in BC tend to be so far away from their family members......

I guess it is all pro's and con's.     I just love how close Quebec families are with each other and how the small towns / cities in Quebec people tend to know their neighbours.... and have family close by.   I guess it could be a result of native french speakers having less opportunities to move to other english provinces....

3 hours ago, canuckistani said:

BC sux before may long weekend. I am having doubts of you being an actual lower-mainlander if you think best time to be in BC is before May long weekend. 

BC weather sucks from early october to late may. The entire period in there is meh or utter trash. 

So no, BC does not figure in top 10 of the weather from where i've been, not by a country mile and i've not been everywhere either. 
BC has best weather in Canada, if you dont mind the gloom overcast. Thats about it. 

yeah if you hate skiing, snowboarding or snowshoeing, or starting your garden in February its sucky :lol:

29 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah if you hate skiing, snowboarding or snowshoeing, or starting your garden in February its sucky :lol:

i snowboard, but i am no pro and i am not gonna do it more than 2-3 times an entire winter. Its a novelty thing, i will take winters that don't hurt my face every day, any day of the week over novelty of snow-sports half a dozen times in the gloom.

100 % disagree with this.

It is great when families put down roots and commit to a community for life and even better when its for multi generations.

I love going to small town Quebec where families often are all living in the same communiities now for  many many generations...  People have cousins all over their town /  village and people know each other  / help each other out.

Sure. But you can move around for years or decades and still come back to your community. When the same bunch of people live at one spot for generations, they become narrow-minded, their world revolves around the 100km radius of what they know and they lose sight of the big picture. And become NIMBY-idiots. 
I've kept in touch with the same closest friends from high school for decades and its amazing when we meet up every other year or 3 years. With modern tech, you don't need to live next to each other to still have your circle of friends and community. 

BC, Alberta, etc. exist only to make Ottawa's job of governing easier. And we are fast approaching the time when its getting in the way of our nation, not helping it, so time to abolish BC, Alberta, Ontario, etc. are fast approaching in my view.

4 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

i snowboard, but i am no pro and i am not gonna do it more than 2-3 times an entire winter. Its a novelty thing, i will take winters that don't hurt my face every day, any day of the week over novelty of snow-sports half a dozen times in the gloom.

not, me, I try to make it up the north shore or Whistler 3x per week all winter. 

Archived