The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Winnipeg Jets at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 22, 2018

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

didn't anyone else enjoy the game last night? i seems like to some, the officiating or lack of it, far out shone the teams efforts. i was very proud of our team. 

our guys did great. I wish Brown would change up that power play arrangement tho, that was the one area where we need to change things. 

5 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

didn't anyone else enjoy the game last night? i seems like to some, the officiating or lack of it, far out shone the teams efforts. i was very proud of our team. 

It is possible to both enjoy the game AND find fault in the officiating. Great game with some baffling missed calls both ways . 

For sure it was a good game, the atmosphere was good and frankly the Canucks speed had Winnipeg pinned back for long periods. On last nights showing they looked comparible. The Jets were more physical aided and abetted by the officials, who left at the end of the game knowing they had been the worse part of the game, the crowd really give it to them. I was happy with the Vcr play and yes even Green addressed the situation with the officials in his post game interview and that's rare …. for him to critique the officials.  Vcr went basically 3-2 ( discount the EN gal )against Tampa and 1-0 against the Jets. The vcr speed had the Jets backing up all night but in particular the 2nd and third periods. I'm think there's a fair amount of reflection in Winnipeg management after that game. I' sure every team looks at the video in prepe for the play-offs ...what did Vcr do and how did they do it

28 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Consistency is all we can ask for...

There will always be missed calls or judgement calls, but it seems to be the case, that its the same debate after every game.

I loved the physicality last night. And I like our team to learn, what it takes to win, when it matters ie the play offs.

But I find it frustrating that whats being called in one game is not being called in another... and if fans feels like this I'm sure the players will be even more frustrated.

On a side note, one thing that pleases me no end, is the players don't complain constantly to the refs about calls not going their way. They suck it up and carries on. That bodes well for the future...

It has always been that way except before the refs used their own judgment on calls, not emails from the NHL on how to make calls.

That caused a problem in itself, refs were known for calling certain things differently but they were known, sort of like Gregson, the future guy in charge of refs, in 1994 he was known as a homer ref often giving the home team a hand. Others "let the boys play" up to a point and had a firm line, some were known for liking the spotlight and calling lots.

But because there was only one ref they became known to everyone and how they called games, so expected.

With betting coming in point/goal shaving will be a real concern and as Bettman learned in the NBA refs can control games, game management, so lots of camera's and reviews, they will likely need 40 or 50 people to monitor games and use some sort of 6 out of 10 voting system to gauge penalties, calls, missed calls and goals so they can be done from various locations and quickly with a couple of "managers" for each game. A ref can influence a game by calling or not calling penalties.

The NHL has been in control of game management since Bettman broke the ref union in 1993, his first year.

0 for 4  on the power play last nite ,I cant remember when they did score on the PP. they used to win games solely being  able to convert ,this IS the area that needs the aggression that is void in their game , like TL,JB often said "patience" it'll come .during the 11 or 12 game slide it became blatantly obvious how reliant the team was on veteran presence, judging by the turn around since their return, there will come a time when the youth wont be reliant on veteran presence .So there really isnt much left to be impatient about , the team is farther ahead of where I expected I cant find any REAL reasons to be disappointed in the team . THE POWER PLAY WILL EVENTUALLY IMPROVE . go canucks go!

4 minutes ago, chon derry said:

0 for 4  on the power play last nite ,I cant remember when they did score on the PP. they used to win games solely being  able to convert ,this IS the area that needs the aggression that is void in their game , like TL,JB often said "patience" it'll come .during the 11 or 12 game slide it became blatantly obvious how reliant the team was on veteran presence, judging by the turn around since their return, there will come a time when the youth wont be reliant on veteran presence .So there really isnt much left to be impatient about , the team is farther ahead of where I expected I cant find any REAL reasons to be disappointed in the team . THE POWER PLAY WILL EVENTUALLY IMPROVE . go canucks go!

Literally scored on the PP against St Louis last game. 

3 hours ago, stawns said:

to me, the clutch and grab of the 90's was the result of taking out the redline and two line pass.  The crackdown on fighting and hitting is the result of lawyers using ex-players concussions to line their pockets.

And an effort by ownership to protect their assets. Not sure who represents the fans? I'm not even sure what the purpose of a rebuild is anymore since the time frame for a CUP shot is narrowing so fast.

Just now, Alflives said:

I thought our guys were BY FAR the better team.  Winterpig’s goalie was awesome, and stole the game.  

Did you watch the game?

I did.  We were the better team.  Markstrom didn't see a lot of shots but made quite a few key saves to keep us in it.  The plays on Boeser and Motte should have been called, but for whatever reason they weren't. 

We didn't lose because of non calls, we lost because we couldn't bury any of the plethora of chances we had.  Too many perimeter shots and not enough plays to the net.  The Jets defenders played the Canucks perfectly.  Kept them to them to the outside and keep letting them shoot from a distance and boxed them out of the crease.  There weren't too many second chances.  They trusted their goalie to make the routine saves and he did.

Unfortunately they got one by Markstrom.

It happens.  Penalties were missed. They scored late.  The Canucks put up a great effort but came up short.  The game is over and done.  No point in dwelling on what should or shouldn't have been.  Move on and focus on what you can control.

12 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Literally scored on the PP against St Louis last game. 

considering the team being 10th place OA (31 TEAMS)in goals for, and only 23 power play goals,its clearly an area thats deficient ,but dont get wrong i'm certainly NOT whinning about it rather just pointing out a fact , like all the facets of their game that have progressed ,I cant imagine not seeing an improvement in that area.

6 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

And an effort by ownership to protect their assets. Not sure who represents the fans? I'm not even sure what the purpose of a rebuild is anymore since the time frame for a CUP shot is narrowing so fast.

so true

15 hours ago, Filthy McNasty said:

I remember when Gillis called out the refs in the playoffs 

although he got fined it should happen more often, Benning should look straight in the camera and flip the bird 

Awful and gain a reputation of being sore losers.

i hate it when we lose fans start to believe the only

resodn we did is the refs the jets are a good team!

we didn’t even score a goal man.

travis green already cries every time we get a penalty and that bothers refs so

w don’t need our gm

doing this too tonfurther aggricatte officials

2 minutes ago, chon derry said:

considering the team being 10th place OA (31 TEAMS)in goals for, and only 23 power play goals,its clearly an area thats deficient ,but dont get wrong i'm certainly NOT whinning about it rather just pointing out a fact , like all the facets of their game that have progressed ,I cant imagine not seeing an improvement in that area.

The Canucks need to do a better job of using there skill and speed to put defenders out of position.  They don't utilize behind the net as much as they should and rely too much on passing plays around the face off circles.  The Jets defense isn't a pushover either so credit them for that.

12 hours ago, canuckleheads fan said:

No-calls killed the Canucks. Four minute high stick against Jake early, the high stick against Motte late, the interference and the grabbed Jersey against Petey. Ten minutes in OBVIOUS no-calls. I know the HNIC guys were asking how many penalties against the stars are you going to call. How about ALL of them! The rules are there for a reason, they hopefully stop players from being hurt but they are also there to spark offense. So EVERY TIME some plug pulls Petey down or hits him late, etc. it should be called. I feel the same way about clutching and grabbing against McDavid, Goudeau, Sid, etc. People pay to see the stars play. They tune in to see McDavid streaking past DMen, not to see some slow footed oaf drag him down. Teams need to learn how to play the stars without cheating! I understand the point that this type of game prepares you for the playoffs, but I don't buy that. Call the play by the book. The Canucks were obviously the faster team on the ice, the only way the Jets could compete is by cheating, that's pure BS and a stolen game!

I love your point about the rulebook existing for a reason. 

The non calls became the norm somehow. This is blatant game management amd they are no longer even bothering to hide it. 

1 minute ago, The Beagle had landed said:

The Canucks need to do a better job of using there skill and speed to put defenders out of position.  They don't utilize behind the net as much as they should and rely too much on passing plays around the face off circles.  The Jets defense isn't a pushover either so credit them for that.

the whole point of my last 2 posts were primarily regarding the play of the younger guys and how veteran presence was important in how they mentored ,and/or protected ,sheilded ,call it what you want, i'm not going to start micro analyzing what play is or isnt present in the power play, specifying a play against 30 other teams is 1 thing , I think its a simple matter of being more aggressive  on the forecheck , keeping it simple.

I am sure everyone enjoyed the game

Commenting on how a good game could have been a great game with more consistency, from not only 1 but 2 refs ,

does not take away anything from the Team (game played)

That kind of stuff is out of the Canucks hands and a league problem

Not that long ago the NFL wasn't like it is today

Gambling had a lot to do with making the NFL what it is today

If they were making decisions like the NHL does, people wouldn't have the faith in gambling on the product like they do now

I wouldn't be surprised if most people felt that the integrity and faith in an outcome of an NHL game as just above the WWF

The players come out to play and have no part in any of the marketing of the league and how it looks bad

Bettman can't market the NHL like the NFL

He can sell every team as having a chance throughout the whole season with his point system and cap system and to a certain extent game management to show the owners they can make money in this league

I don't make this comment like I know this to be true, just as anyone saying it is not true and cannot prove otherwise it's an opinion (which this forum is about)

This is a discussion group, no use getting bent out of shape if yours differs (usually I can respect it, without agreeing with it)

I won't lose sleep over it, as I expect people to think otherwise too

Just as Laws are not based on morals and integrity (as I originally thought), they are based on money (sports, leagues included)

People with lots or none, these laws are very subjective (It doesn't make it a conspiracy) ;) 

I use to write cheques to criminals, because it was cheaper than going to court

They would claim to get injured from a guard or guard dog ( It did not matter that they were criminals breaking into and doing damage to property that was not theirs)

The judges and lawyers saw they couldn't make money off the criminal and saw me as one who could pay

I wonder how Stecher feels about Karlsson ruling?

Frontier justice not even an option

47 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

Awful and gain a reputation of being sore losers.

i hate it when we lose fans start to believe the only

resodn we did is the refs the jets are a good team!

we didn’t even score a goal man.

travis green already cries every time we get a penalty and that bothers refs so

w don’t need our gm

doing this too tonfurther aggricatte officials

Officiating this sport can be literally nerve racking to the point your entire body gets covered in red welts (blisters) If you know what that means you know who I’m talking about, and how he wore a turtle neck to hide the ones up near his face calling his first game seven playoff game and worrying since he got the call that something could happen that would require him to make a call that could affect the outcome.  The doctor said it was neeves, he went out called a perfect game and when he went to shower after the game all the welts were gone (and he waited until everyone left and dressed before anyone go there so nobody would notice).

We all all belly ache about it from time to time, and that’s part of being a fan, I’d encourage people to watch some games that we have no skin in (not Canucks or any other team you might like) you’d likely notice that if they are letting things go it’s both ways, or if they are calling it clean it goes both ways.  And that they make mistakes against other teams just as often.  They are the best in the business, aren’t controlled by Bettman or any agenda, but are human and surely feel more pressure the higher the stakes. 

Hint on the official above, he had perfect red hair, never one out of place, and became one of the most respected officials all-time.  And burned us more than once...and looked the other way more than once too.

Archived