The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Winnipeg Jets at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 22, 2018

-Vintage Canuck-

4 hours ago, stawns said:

when I'm on the ice, the only one responsible to protect me, is me.  I always assume someone is going to look for a hit or a cheapshot and it's up to me to stay alert and know who is one the ice and where.  There's a reason people say "keep your head up kid".

Do you really think an opposition player is going to pass up an opportunity to grind on a star like Boes a bit?

33017C1E-7B97-4547-A2F7-7D2CADB60015.jpeg

1 hour ago, copperlynx said:

All this talk about how good you should be to start getting calls is  BS. The rules are the rules are the rules, equal for everyone - or this league is a joke and can't be taken seriously as a legit business. Open to lawsuits from sport betting companies.

When Kypreos talks about getting 2 out of 3 legit calls being a good stat, it's the same as talking about getting convicted for 2 out of 3 break-ins.

We either have laws or we have Trump. One of the two please. )

Absolutely. It's such BS that the idiots on the panel are defending the referees AND the NHL. Absolutely 0 balls collectively. Just a bunch of yes man. 

What other employer would say to the employee, you did half your work, no one expects you to do the entire job so kudos. 

How did not doing your job properly become ok? 

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

Absolutely. It's such BS that the idiots on the panel are defending the referees AND the NHL. Absolutely 0 balls collectively. Just a bunch of yes man. 

What other employer would say to the employee, you did half your work, no one expects you to do the entire job so kudos. 

How did not doing your job properly become ok? 

When I was back in school, if I average 2/3 in my exams, it is consider terrible. No excuse for missing any calls. No game management. Call a spade a spade. Doesn't matter the game is tied with a minute left or if it is a 5 goal lopsided lead for one team, you call the penalty period. I think The Hockey Guy on his youtube channel said it that it is difficult to get new fans to watch the game of hockey because what is a penalty in the first period isn't a penalty in the third. A play is consider a penalty in October but when the playoffs start the same play would be a non-call. Just call the penalty.

My hope is that the canucks rough up Marner, Matthews, Nylander and Tavares when we play them on prime time. When Martin steps in, I want Guddy to KO him. 

When they get interviewed post game, call a spade a spade and say that they heard that the NHL had a quota on amount of penalties given to star players so they created a game plan around it. 

As long as canucks can go 5/5 on the pk that night, i think that should do the trick. 

1 minute ago, ruilin96 said:

When I was back in school, if I average 2/3 in my exams, it is consider terrible. No excuse for missing any calls. No game management. Call a spade a spade. Doesn't matter the game is tied with a minute left or if it is a 5 goal lopsided lead for one team, you call the penalty period. I think The Hockey Guy on his youtube channel said it that it is difficult to get new fans to watch the game of hockey because what is a penalty in the first period isn't a penalty in the third. A play is consider a penalty in October but when the playoffs start the same play would be a non-call. Just call the penalty.

Being a dad, one of the most basic rules of parenting is consistency. 

If you aren't, your kids will have no idea what's allowed and what's not. 

I agree, even if a team is getting dominated, if they need to take a penalty to stop any more goals, it probably means that they deserve the penalty and need to improve. 

It also doesn't matter if it's a tie game late in the 3rd. If you take a penalty, it means you didn't follow the rule book and made a play that should have a consequence. 

Jeez, this is the most rudimentary behavioral teaching. Cause and effect... 

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

My hope is that the canucks rough up Marner, Matthews, Nylander and Tavares when we play them on prime time. When Martin steps in, I want Guddy to KO him. 

When they get interviewed post game, call a spade a spade and say that they heard that the NHL had a quota on amount of penalties given to star players so they created a game plan around it. 

As long as canucks can go 5/5 on the pk that night, i think that should do the trick. 

Martin has gone back to the Islanders, and Nylander is a chump.

10 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

It has always been that way except before the refs used their own judgment on calls, not emails from the NHL on how to make calls.

That caused a problem in itself, refs were known for calling certain things differently but they were known, sort of like Gregson, the future guy in charge of refs, in 1994 he was known as a homer ref often giving the home team a hand. Others "let the boys play" up to a point and had a firm line, some were known for liking the spotlight and calling lots.

But because there was only one ref they became known to everyone and how they called games, so expected.

With betting coming in point/goal shaving will be a real concern and as Bettman learned in the NBA refs can control games, game management, so lots of camera's and reviews, they will likely need 40 or 50 people to monitor games and use some sort of 6 out of 10 voting system to gauge penalties, calls, missed calls and goals so they can be done from various locations and quickly with a couple of "managers" for each game. A ref can influence a game by calling or not calling penalties.

The NHL has been in control of game management since Bettman broke the ref union in 1993, his first year.

Hear what your saying. 

I am a littlle on the fence all of this. We may end up with a more ‘correct’ officiating of games, but also fear we could kill the game with constant stoppages. 

However if they could get decisions as quickly as now, i would be happy with that. 

8 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

And people think it will be more consistent in the playoffs? LOL, some poster said one of the non calls would of been called in the playoffs? Huh? If they're not calling it in the season why would they call it in the playoffs when the whistles go away.

But yes I've questioned the refs and how this league is run for years, and yes it's very inconsistent, especially when they play a certain way all season then change the rules come playoffs which makes no sense when you're still playing the same sport, it's a bush league and has been run like one for many years and have come to that conclusion and really don't care anymore, because they're not doing anything to change or improve it, and all it does is create more stress in your life when I really don't care anymore and just accept it's a bush league.

Chuck, my point about consistency is more in the way of, what is suspendable offences... I find it hard, despite looking at videos explaining it, to see consistency in it. 

I liked the play off feel of the game. I liked they were allowed to play a little harder. 

But its frustating even weird that next game a penalty will be called for far less infringements than in this game. 

As a player it much also be hard to work under. Actually always thought, just like rugby, the players show incredible restraint after some of the calls, bearing in mind they are ultra hyped. 

8 hours ago, spook007 said:

Hear what your saying. 

I am a littlle on the fence all of this. We may end up with a more ‘correct’ officiating of games, but also fear we could kill the game with constant stoppages. 

However if they could get decisions as quickly as now, i would be happy with that. 

They said they were going to try this new system this year in undisclosed games and not all the arenas had enough camera's. The decisions could be a quick as a replay with enough people watching on a closed system.

9 hours ago, spook007 said:

Chuck, my point about consistency is more in the way of, what is suspendable offences... I find it hard, despite looking at videos explaining it, to see consistency in it. 

I liked the play off feel of the game. I liked they were allowed to play a little harder. 

But its frustating even weird that next game a penalty will be called for far less infringements than in this game. 

As a player it much also be hard to work under. Actually always thought, just like rugby, the players show incredible restraint after some of the calls, bearing in mind they are ultra hyped. 

Yup consistency is not a word in the NHL language, hence Bush League.

12 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

I agree

But I think this is the Leagues stance

It is my opinion that they instruct refs when hiring them  the outline of how they want games officiated, they want a parity league, where all teams have a chance to win and keep interest and revenues up 

It is explained upon hiring that this is their business plan and that is in the best interests of the Owners, Players and Refs and all workers to make more money, and at the same time keeping the fans interest alive

The refs are also given immunity and job protection from following this plan without repercussions

I don't see this as a conspiracy, I see it as a business model

18 hours ago, Team Bagues said:

Harold used to block pucks with his head - without a helmet - he was a beauty.

In the old days you used to have to keep your head up - now it's someone else's fault if you don't keep your head up.

I love Boesser but he's a bit of an air head sometimes - I hope he learns to keep his head on a swivel.... kind of like Gaudreau, who just never gets hit - or Kane, who I used to wish Kesler would run through the glass, but you just can't do it - those guys are too aware out there.

Keep his head on a swivel? So players that play the puck should be expecting blind side head shots? What a load of crap lol. 

At the end of the day, all I care about watching any sports is consistency from the officials, and from the beginning of the season to the end, and then playoffs, hockey is easily the most inconsistent of the major sports. 

Watch the Jets game again and tell me how the refs managed to miss the Virtanen double minor, the Boeser blind side, and the Motte hit, but managed to catch Tanev with his soft boarding call?

I’m not a conspiracy theorist..Ij don’t think the NHL is “out to get us” but there’s no way you can convince me otherwise that there’s not game management, and the last game proved it. 

Either let the boys play and Hitchcock whine, or call it all by the book and let the game be decided by special teams. Regardless of what style you enjoy, at least it would be consistent. 

2 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

They said they were going to try this new system this year in undisclosed games and not all the arenas had enough camera's. The decisions could be a quick as a replay with enough people watching on a closed system.

Thanks Guardian. I did not know this. Sounds very intriguing. It shall be very interesting to see/hear the outcome of these trials. 

Part of hockey is the speed of the game. You do not want to take that away by constantly waiting on reviews. But this sounds promising. 

Could be helping the refs as well. Wonder how they feel about it?

32 minutes ago, GreyHatnDart said:

At the end of the day, all I care about watching any sports is consistency from the officials, and from the beginning of the season to the end, and then playoffs, hockey is easily the most inconsistent of the major sports. 

Watch the Jets game again and tell me how the refs managed to miss the Virtanen double minor, the Boeser blind side, and the Motte hit, but managed to catch Tanev with his soft boarding call?

I’m not a conspiracy theorist..Ij don’t think the NHL is “out to get us” but there’s no way you can convince me otherwise that there’s not game management, and the last game proved it. 

Either let the boys play and Hitchcock whine, or call it all by the book and let the game be decided by special teams. Regardless of what style you enjoy, at least it would be consistent. 

This... perfectly said. 

Archived