The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] We need Drivers!

J.I.A.H.N

Well, aside from the obvious joke

Here is what I am saying...……………………..

Pettersson, is an amazing talent, and given time and space, can do some amazing things

But! He is the only player on his line that is a driver of play.....Brock is a finisher, and does not push back defensemen in the same way

The problem is, Pettersson is slight, and he is getting the best defensemen on every team, and they are hanging on him

He needs someone else that can push the play as well, and force these defensemen to play a little more honest with Pettersson

Pettersson, with another driver becomes a much more dangerous player, and so does Brock, if he stay with Pettersson

So, either we draft a winger who fits the bill, or we sign a UFA that fits the bill, either way he needs to be a driver of play

I say, we Sign Mark Stone who is a big power forward with hands, who can push defensemen back

Then we draft another C/LWer for BO (but someone over 6 ft. if possible and over 190 lbs)

This would give us elite lines, along with some very good depth in the bottom 6...……….

As for Dmen...………..I honestly think we try and trade Edler right after the break, and bite the bullet, he will never have as good of value as he does now

He will bring in a 1st and a 3rd, and can be re-signed immediately this summer to a 3 year extension…...we need this to happen now, because honestly

We are so close to being finished our rebuild...……...

In another thread I suggested Parayko for our 2020 1st unprotected, Dahlen and Joulevi and a conditions 2021 2nd if we make into the 2nd round in 2020......this is rebuild material

This to me, completes our rebuild...………………..and see the line up as something like this

Stone (26)/Pettersson(20)/Boeser(21)………………...9+1+7=17 Million

Baertschi (25)/Horvat(23)/Virtanen(21)………………..3.5+5.5+1.5 = 10.5

Granlund (25)/ Sutter (29)/ Eriksson (33)……………...1.5+5+6 = 12.5

Rousell (29)/Beagle(33)/Gaudette(22)………………….3+3+1 = 7

Goldobin/Motte.Leivo……………………………….......1+1+1 = 3........................Forwards  50Million

Hughes(20)/Parayko(26)................................................1+ 4.5 = 5.5

Edler (31)/Tanev (29)......................................................4 + 4.5 = 8.5

Hutton (24)/Gudbranson (26)...........................................3 + 4 = 7

Tryamkin( 24)/Stecher (23)...............................................4 + 2.5 = 6.5.

Woo (19).................................................................=1 M..............................Defense 28.5 Million

Markstrom (28)/Demko (23)...............................................3.5 + 1 = 4.5..................Goalies 4.5 Million

Total 83 Million and that is with 26 players, which you could move several players if need be!

Plus you have an early/mid 2019 1st rounder........................LW/C

plus an additional  late 2019 1st from Edler trade...................LD

Our own 2019 2nd...................................................................D

our own 2019 3rd.....................................................................Goalie

Plus an additional later 2019 3rd form the Edler trade.............Goalie

And I will sell my take tomorrow!...Because we would have good size, speed. drivers of forwards, and goal scoring

On Defense you would have Parayko, Gudbranson, Tryamkin, Edler and Hutton, all bigger and mobile, with Hughes and Stecher zipping around the ice

In goal, we let the chips fall as they may.....start Markstrom and team Demko

Bottom line..............trade Edler. Trade for Parayko

Boot out MDZ and Pouliot

and bring back Tryamkin

But the key is the Driver for Petey!

I like the idea of going after Stone this off season...  

I think that Paryako deal is too rich in areas we can't afford.  

I am down with trading roster players and even our first, but I dont want to part with Woo, OJ, Dahlen, Hughes or Demko.  

Everyone else is fair game.  Rathbone is hopefully off anyone's radar.  

Guys that would hurt to part with, but for the right deal...  Dipeitro is a guy the blues may want, Stecher would be another.  

Paryako for our 1st (protected) and Stecher and Goldy?  I love Stecher, but Paryako would be a huge upgrade.  If JB can find another player to keep Stecher, it would be better for us.  Even the rights to Trymakin.  He likely would rather play in St Louis with more Russians, especially if Goldy is moved.  

It makes Tanev movable either be the TDL or pre draft.  Tanev should see a good return.  A first or a good young player, maybe someone to fill that LW void.  

I would re sign Edler.  He and Guddy make a good pairing.  

Hughes  Paryako

Edler       Guddy

Hutton    Stecher

MDZ, Biega, Pouliot as depth.  Next season with OJ healed up and Woo wanting to not go back to jr, we will have more depth pushing into the roster.  

The d group above is far better than the one we started with this season.  Going down the stretch we will be hard to contain.  

2 hours ago, mll said:

Friedman believes that Vegas will be frontrunners for Stone.  AGM Kelly McCrimmon was coach, GM and owner of his junior team the Brandon Wheat Kings.

Stone is a great player, but he wont be cheap and lots of teams will be after him.

I personally want JB to go after Josh Anderson in a trade. Size and skill, pefrect combo for a player to be added to Pettersson's wing in my opinion. He is still youngish too. Sure we could go size Simmonds if he hits UFA, but he has alot more miles on him and will cost more initially. Anderson has another year with a cap hit under 2m. Then he will get paid but still only be in his 20's.

The Canucks are close to being a playoff team this year or next, management needs to really look at some playoff hockey from recent years and remember how the gaps get tighter, and the game gets a lot more physical. EP is already being targeted by teams regularly, it will only continue and come playoffs its another animal. The west has some big teams or teams that play physical. I know we have got a bit of grit, but we need that key cog winger to play and protect EP40.

Go after Josh Anderson from Columbus imo, bite the bullet and pay the price JB

8 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well, aside from the obvious joke

Here is what I am saying...……………………..

Pettersson, is an amazing talent, and given time and space, can do some amazing things

But! He is the only player on his line that is a driver of play.....Brock is a finisher, and does not push back defensemen in the same way

The problem is, Pettersson is slight, and he is getting the best defensemen on every team, and they are hanging on him

He needs someone else that can push the play as well, and force these defensemen to play a little more honest with Pettersson

Pettersson, with another driver becomes a much more dangerous player, and so does Brock, if he stay with Pettersson

So, either we draft a winger who fits the bill, or we sign a UFA that fits the bill, either way he needs to be a driver of play

I say, we Sign Mark Stone who is a big power forward with hands, who can push defensemen back

Then we draft another C/LWer for BO (but someone over 6 ft. if possible and over 190 lbs)

This would give us elite lines, along with some very good depth in the bottom 6...……….

As for Dmen...………..I honestly think we try and trade Edler right after the break, and bite the bullet, he will never have as good of value as he does now

He will bring in a 1st and a 3rd, and can be re-signed immediately this summer to a 3 year extension…...we need this to happen now, because honestly

We are so close to being finished our rebuild...……...

In another thread I suggested Parayko for our 2020 1st unprotected, Dahlen and Joulevi and a conditions 2021 2nd if we make into the 2nd round in 2020......this is rebuild material

This to me, completes our rebuild...………………..and see the line up as something like this

Stone (26)/Pettersson(20)/Boeser(21)………………...9+1+7=17 Million

Baertschi (25)/Horvat(23)/Virtanen(21)………………..3.5+5.5+1.5 = 10.5

Granlund (25)/ Sutter (29)/ Eriksson (33)……………...1.5+5+6 = 12.5

Rousell (29)/Beagle(33)/Gaudette(22)………………….3+3+1 = 7

Goldobin/Motte.Leivo……………………………….......1+1+1 = 3........................Forwards  50Million

Hughes(20)/Parayko(26)................................................1+ 4.5 = 5.5

Edler (31)/Tanev (29)......................................................4 + 4.5 = 8.5

Hutton (24)/Gudbranson (26)...........................................3 + 4 = 7

Tryamkin( 24)/Stecher (23)...............................................4 + 2.5 = 6.5.

Woo (19).................................................................=1 M..............................Defense 28.5 Million

Markstrom (28)/Demko (23)...............................................3.5 + 1 = 4.5..................Goalies 4.5 Million

Total 83 Million and that is with 26 players, which you could move several players if need be!

Plus you have an early/mid 2019 1st rounder........................LW/C

plus an additional  late 2019 1st from Edler trade...................LD

Our own 2019 2nd...................................................................D

our own 2019 3rd.....................................................................Goalie

Plus an additional later 2019 3rd form the Edler trade.............Goalie

And I will sell my take tomorrow!...Because we would have good size, speed. drivers of forwards, and goal scoring

On Defense you would have Parayko, Gudbranson, Tryamkin, Edler and Hutton, all bigger and mobile, with Hughes and Stecher zipping around the ice

In goal, we let the chips fall as they may.....start Markstrom and team Demko

Bottom line..............trade Edler. Trade for Parayko

Boot out MDZ and Pouliot

and bring back Tryamkin

But the key is the Driver for Petey!

Get mr zone entry on that line we will be shot gunning cans of tuna before you know it.

31 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Stone is a great player, but he wont be cheap and lots of teams will be after him.

I personally want JB to go after Josh Anderson in a trade. Size and skill, pefrect combo for a player to be added to Pettersson's wing in my opinion. He is still youngish too. Sure we could go size Simmonds if he hits UFA, but he has alot more miles on him and will cost more initially. Anderson has another year with a cap hit under 2m. Then he will get paid but still only be in his 20's.

The Canucks are close to being a playoff team this year or next, management needs to really look at some playoff hockey from recent years and remember how the gaps get tighter, and the game gets a lot more physical. EP is already being targeted by teams regularly, it will only continue and come playoffs its another animal. The west has some big teams or teams that play physical. I know we have got a bit of grit, but we need that key cog winger to play and protect EP40.

Go after Josh Anderson from Columbus imo, bite the bullet and pay the price JB

Vegas has favourable taxation with Florida, Tampa, Dallas, Nashville.  

Columbus are also a young team on the rise - all the arguments you are putting forth are the reasons for them to keep him. 

2 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Pettersson just needs to add more weight, that will come with time, not that he can generate, I think his line still generated enough chances to get at least 2 points each last night.

there is no guarantee he will add too much more weight tho. His older brother Emil is 176lbs and he is going to be 25 in a few weeks. If EP can get to 180 I think that would be tops, dont see him filling out like Backstrom did, hope I am wrong tho!

Good drinking game is to take a shot every time EP gets knocked down, its quite a few times each game. He is young and will get better holding his own against men in due time tho

Canucks are still rebuilding.

Yes they need more drivers and Boeser isn't one.

Horvat, Elias and Jake, yes Jake can back off dmen.

Just drop Sven and Sutter from the conversation, Sven is a tap away from another concussion and Sutter, a good and important player but just not playing enough.

Too many deals need to be made in a single season to make this team cup competitive. They could start getting it ready this year though by loading up on 2020 1rst round picks.

Trade Demko, his last concussion was enough, the team doesn't need a Rick Dipietro (NYI) he should yield a #1.

Move Edler for a pick, 2019 not likely but a 1rst in 2020, especially if there is CBA trouble a few teams will be out to make a dent before their teams age out or contract out.

Maybe do a similar deal for Tanev for a 1rst in 2020.

Sutter, again for a 2020 pick.

Package OJ, two surgeries and some other issue and 4 years

Target the 2021/2022 season for the big slash if the CBA year is done.

The team will have oodles of cap space and there will be some impressive FA's available. If the team is loaded with young players and 2020 draft picks then maybe do a offer sheet or two and give up some future picks for an established star, Dahlin for instance, Buffalo may not be able to keep him at 15+ mil a season, even Ovechkin would be available and the needed playoff experience.

The one big thing is the amount of money the Canucks may have to sign FA's.

Resign Tryamkin.

After next year start the polishing, this season and next get picks, the next two drafts are supposed to be good ones, deep.

And draft "drivers" nothing wrong with three lines that can score.

I know lots of posters and fans are giddy about the recent play but a few things to consider/

Hey the team looks like it is playing better and more entertaining games!

BUT down to earth here

There will be more injuries and every injury on this team can be devastating.

The team needs approximately 57 more points to reach an estimated wild card spot, 95 pts.

They would have to play BETTER THAN TAMPA has so far to make it or have 4 teams disappear.

The team by comparison to itself @ 39 games over the last for years

1 pt behind 2015 - 39 pts

1 pt behind 2016 - 39 pts

1 pt ahead 2017 - 37 pts

2018 - 38 pts.

Scoring is up .282 GF per game, league wide scoring is up .09 GF so an improvement, defending - negligibly up and league wide GA is up by .08 GPG. -  improvement.

While the standings look much better and not taking into account how badly some top teams are doing the improvement may be and look enhanced/better than reality.

Just watching the kid play is enough for now but not enough for solid predictable seasons to come. IMO for that the team needs the next two drafts and in the top ten or better if possible.

• -SN- changed the title to [Discussion] We need Drivers!
On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 2:15 PM, TheGuardian_ said:

Just watching the kid play is enough for now but not enough for solid predictable seasons to come. IMO for that the team needs the next two drafts and in the top ten or better if possible

I AGREE lets not get ahead of ourselves . we need two more years of development and drafting. 

Archived