The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Erik Karlsson suspended 2 games

Man these plays are tough to call nowadays. Shoulder to shoulder but definitely blindside and clips the head obviously. Watched it a few times and honestly that looks like a clean hit to me, at the same time I don’t like seeing wagner concussed. I think the league is going to have to make a new rule concerning blindside hits regardless of hitting the head.

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Karlsson gets 2 games for that and Martel doesn't even get a penalty for a similar type hit on Stecher.  LMAO...

This.

There is absolutely zero consistency with the NHL's discipline. 

6 minutes ago, Nancouver said:

Man these plays are tough to call nowadays. Shoulder to shoulder but definitely blindside and clips the head obviously. Watched it a few times and honestly that looks like a clean hit to me, at the same time I don’t like seeing wagner concussed. I think the league is going to have to make a new rule concerning blindside hits regardless of hitting the head.

Blindside doesn't matter.   

Frankly after the hit on Stetcher I feel this was clean. He hit the shoulder first and the head contact was secondary.  The NHL DOPS  aka Department of Perpetual $&!#heads strikes again! 

I agree the DOPS is out to lunch and currently I have no idea what is suspendable and what isn’t. It’s kinda like the hit scheifele gave boeser last night though, a hit to the shoulder when the player isn’t looking. Are players less aware then they used to be with concern to what’s happening around them and preparing for hits?

29 minutes ago, Jaku said:

This.

There is absolutely zero consistency with the NHL's discipline. 

The issue is when you appoint people whose role when they played was to drop the gloves and spent more time on the bench and in the penalty box then on the ice and ask them to develop a disciplinary process. While I have heard arguments against it (the concern is it makes it ok to injure others etc) the simplest way to eliminate headshots is regardless of who the offending player is - if you target another person's head  you sit out a pre-determined number of games. Do it again and its a longer suspension., Maybe then players will think twice before running another guy. I'm not advocating a no hit league - I love a good clean hit as much as the next guy. But I am sick at the lack of protection for players on the ice - NFL has done a lot better job of protecting players. NHL needs to catch up.

2 minutes ago, xereau said:

The DOP(e)S are all dain bramaged themselves.  Its the only thing that makes any sense.

But even prior to the current staff at DOPS, inconsistency was and is rampant. 

What I don't get the whole argument for 2 refs is so they can spot more trouble. Yet, a Canuck player can get practically chopped down and there's no call. 

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

But even prior to the current staff at DOPS, inconsistency was and is rampant. 

What I don't get the whole argument for 2 refs is so they can spot more trouble. Yet, a Canuck player can get practically chopped down and there's no call. 

The problem with 2 refs, and I have pointed this out many times, is that the raw straight up error is doubled.  That's a huge problem.  Massive.  Outweighs any other instances of "getting it right".  And I will actually make the argument, that it MORE than doubles the error, as there is some kind of psychological competitive one upping of the other guy going on too.  They seem to feed off the others' ineptitude, or strictness.  Two refs is the worst change ever in the game.

The solution to the two ref conundrum, if the league absolutely insists in having two, is to move one off the ice.  With veto power.  That can assess hits by replay, and over rule, amend, or add to calls made on the ice.  Especially unsportsmanlike (get rid of embellishment and call it what it really is) and over the glass delay of game.  That little 4 man huddle of the guys pretending to confer on what they saw, and then get it wrong based on the replay, is a joke to the game.  The off ice use replay can make the game better.

5 minutes ago, xereau said:

The problem with 2 refs, and I have pointed this out many times, is that the raw straight up error is doubled.  That's a huge problem.  Massive.  Outweighs any other instances of "getting it right".  And I will actually make the argument, that it MORE than doubles the error, as there is some kind of psychological competitive one upping of the other guy going on too.  They seem to feed off the others' ineptitude, or strictness.  Two refs is the worst change ever in the game.

The solution to the two ref conundrum, if the league absolutely insists in having two, is to move one off the ice.  With veto power.  That can assess hits by replay, and over rule, amend, or add to calls made on the ice.  Especially unsportsmanlike (get rid of embellishment and call it what it really is) and over the glass delay of game.  That little 4 man huddle of the guys pretending to confer on what they saw, and then get it wrong based on the replay, is a joke to the game.  The off ice use replay can make the game better.

2 refs is a huge problem, especially working down, because we have guys in each league who would not nearly be qualified under the one ref system.  NHL has guys who are qualified to be NHL or AHL under the old system.  AHL now has guys who would have been qualified to do ECHL or CHL, and it trickles down from there.  Add in the fact that the league absolutely refuses to discipline the guys who are clear problems and it's a recipe for disaster.

Archived