The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Erik Karlsson suspended 2 games

55 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

The hands were high but at the top of the chest which is legal. The stick was in one hand and it was recklessly in the air and connected because Chiarot was backing to his left while Motte tried to cut to his right, therefore should've been a penalty but that's about it.

The Karlsson one is arguable whether it's clean on not because it'll be hard to defend that was clean if you think the Martel one was dirty. Very similar plays. The Karlsson one would be clean based on the Martel excuse given which just demonstrates the league's inconsistencies. However I think there was more into play where Martel did get a penalty (albiet the wrong call) and there was some on ice justice (Gudbranson's free punch that went uncalled and could've been fined/suspendable IMO as well), which might be understandable coming from a former enforcer like Parros, but cannot be used as a legitimate excuse to explain away the suspension.

Again, we'll agree to disagree. The puck was chipped to the right of Motte, and past Chiarot, and Motte went left. Motte was highsticked and interfered with IMO. Either was worthy of a penalty. IMO Karlsson's hit was on the shoulder and he came towards the Kings player. Martel was a blindside and stood up to catch Stetcher's head (and shoulder). Gudbranson 100% should have been penalized. I dislike cheapshots immensely. 

Although the Martel hit was sort of similar, the Karlsson one was FAR more forceful, and got all of Wagner's head. 

Go back and look at the 2 again. Stecher barely moves from the impact (just kind of spins a bit), whereas Wagner's face totally plants into the shoulder, and he goes flying. Very dangerous play, that probably gets more if it wasn't Karlsson.

7 hours ago, Hoosierdaddy said:

Again, we'll agree to disagree. The puck was chipped to the right of Motte, and past Chiarot, and Motte went left. Motte was highsticked and interfered with IMO. Either was worthy of a penalty. IMO Karlsson's hit was on the shoulder and he came towards the Kings player. Martel was a blindside and stood up to catch Stetcher's head (and shoulder). Gudbranson 100% should have been penalized. I dislike cheapshots immensely. 

I can see the justification for an interference call as well. I agree that it should've been a penalty regardless, but it was a blown call and that's it, no supplementary discipline. The Karlsson one wasn't called as a penalty (unless I'm mistaken), so the refs agreed with you in that it wasn't a play worth a penalty call. So in terms of it being more obvious that it's a penalty, sure but I wouldn't suggest it is "worse" as even there are blown calls for trips, hooks, etc that no one would say is "worse".

As for suspension that Karlsson got, well it all depends on how you interpret the rule book and the inconsistency of the league is what makes it confusing. The fact that are debates about these kinds of hits every time is really caused by this confusion created by the NHL. I can argue that Karlsson nicked his shoulder just prior to connecting to Wagner's head therefore the head wasn't the primary point of contact, but it undeniable that Karlsson hit him in the head. Wagner didn't have his head up or wasn't aware of someone coming, but that is more his own fault. Stecher was indeed more blindsided, but that clearly has been refuted by the league as a non-reason to be suspended. So looking at the same situation taking away the blindside aspect, Martel just get Stecher's should and the head after as well, but it was also a bit of a nick of the shoulder before connecting the head as well. This is why both hits to me are similar with Karlsson's being more impactful at the speeds they were going at. So that's why it's hard for one to defend one over the other, either both are suspendable plays or neither are (I think both are).

At least we agree on the Gudbranson one.

20 hours ago, King Heffy said:

NHLPA need to be fighting hard to taking player safety in their own hands as the NHL has been proven unable or unwilling to conduct themselves appropriately.

Problem is, NHLPA would rather protect the offender's payday rather than the victim's safety.  They are not better than the NHL.

52 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Problem is, NHLPA would rather protect the offender's payday rather than the victim's safety.  They are not better than the NHL.

When guys are having careers cut short, it's more likely they will clean up their mess.  The NHL has proven the only way they will act with any integrity is if they are ordered to by a judge.

On 12/23/2018 at 11:19 AM, Nancouver said:

Man these plays are tough to call nowadays. Shoulder to shoulder but definitely blindside and clips the head obviously. Watched it a few times and honestly that looks like a clean hit to me, at the same time I don’t like seeing wagner concussed. I think the league is going to have to make a new rule concerning blindside hits regardless of hitting the head.

Shoulder to shoulder only counts if the guy is standing upright. What is required is a hit squarely through the body - essentially through their center of gravity or center mass. So, if someone is leaning forward (while skating up the ice or whatever) then their center of gravity would be more towards their chest/waist than just their shoulders.

blog-examprep-032813-1.jpg

centre-of-mass-various.jpeg

For this hit, Karlsson needs to either come at a better angle from the side (blindside hits are not defined in the rule book anymore) or straight up from the front. Obviously he can't get low enough to hit his shoulder into his waist, but if he puts the majority of his body's mass into that area on Wagner, then any head contact becomes incidental regardless of which body part makes contact first.

Archived