The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Van/StL..another, Would U?

First, we'll give it some context with a late January scenario...

- We hold a WC spot, after an excellent Jan(boys won 13 outa' their last 15 games)

- Markstrom & Demko both have excellent months of Jan(around 94, 95% sv pct). So Utica rolling now too.

- Nilsson also playing well. Willing to re-up 2 more yrs/2 mill AAV

- Dipietro had a fine tourney, & is trending as very AHL-worthy, next Fall

- St Lou continues inconsistent play, but Tarasenko sniping more

Their GM calls JB to offer:

Tarasenko (has four more seasons, at cap hit of 7.5 AAV)

Van: Demko, Goldobin, Sutter, 2020 conditional pick(becomes a 1st r pick, if we make PO's and Tarasenko hits 50 pt threshold, otherwise 2020 2nd)

HFBoards had a 5 proposal trade thread for Tarasenko. I tried to match a similar amount of assets, but values are always subjective.

Also tried to consider the Blues' needs. No secret they've long been lacking quality 'tending. Appears they're entering a period of selling off some assets(retool, or rebuild). They're probably too far behind some Central rivals, with stage their team is at.

I'm not selling this! Not even sure if I'd agree to such a deal. The curiosity for me is how CDC'ers value/regard these assets(both sides), or, of course, if any posters can think up any interesting alternatives.

It’ll cost a fair bit to get Tarasenko but I think if the opportunity presents itself for us to trade for him we gotta take it. I was thinking something like:

Goldobin, Gaudette, Juolevi, DiPietro, 2020 1st

I don’t think under any circumstances we should trade Demko. He is our future #1. 

Most of us are saying it's too soon to make aggressive moves. I have to admit, when healthy, our boys have been hanging in with some pretty harsh opponents.

So you add a top sniper. Then late-season, likely Quinn Hughes would be inserted for a PO-taste. I wouldn't pencil in Baer on the lineup(health uncertainty)..more consider him a possible PO 'Black Ace'.

So what it could resemble:

Virtanen - Horvat - Tarasenko

Leivo - Pettersson - Boeser

Roussel - Gaudette - Eriksson (the kid's fine with two vets!)

Granlund - Beagle - Motte

xtras: Baer, Schaller, MacEwen, Archibald, Gaunce (lots of bottom-9 depth for injuries)

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Hughes - Stecher/Biega

Markstrom & Nilsson

D would still be our comparative weak link.

edit: With Green's coaching, this team could surprise for a round or two.

6 minutes ago, Toews said:

Quantity for quality. Quite a few teams can beat that offer.

You're prob right there..but other questions pop up. Are the teams that HAVE cap space, willing to use it?

A top young gt has a lot of value in StLoo nowadays. Not many teams can compete with us in that dept. Also, the Sutter name is pretty good currency out there.

Can you give an example of a team that can easily absorb Tarasenko's hit(next 4 yrs), & a realistic pkg they might throw at them?(guess the Canes would be one?)

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Not interested in Tarasenko for such a hefty price.  That’s too much for him.  Much rather, if we are going to burn assets, get Parayko.  

Exactly.  Demko, probably Stecher and pick for Colton, or we could include Tanev if Pietrangelo is on the table.
No need for two all-star caliber right-wings; the building block positions should be center, D and goalie, and if DiPietro pans out we'd be set for two of the three positions (just needing right-side, building block D).  

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Not interested in Tarasenko for such a hefty price.  That’s too much for him.  Much rather, if we are going to burn assets, get Parayko.  

Good point Alf. Betting about 25 other GM's would go for that too! The pkg would be far greater than the above, no doubt. What would you pony up for a player like Parayko?

23 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Exactly.  Demko, probably Stecher and pick for Colton, or we could include Tanev if Pietrangelo is on the table.
No need for two all-star caliber right-wings; the building block positions should be center, D and goalie, and if DiPietro pans out we'd be set for two of the three positions (just needing right-side, building block D).  

Certainly do hear both you guys..but don't you think the cost for Parayko would be exorbitant?

Losing Demko is too big a piece to lose. DiPietro is a wild card, hell so is Demko. But we need goaltending more than we need another winger. I get Tarasenko is an elite breed, but still Demko could become an elite goalie. I'd risk DiPietro in a deal maybe, but Demko is untouchable for me. Unless it's 1 for 1 which is ridiculous to expect. Lol.

53 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Certainly do hear both you guys..but don't you think the cost for Parayko would be exorbitant?

The price for Tarasenko wouldn't be??  That's two roster players, one elite prospect and an early round pick that was offered in the OP for a guy who's having an off year (0.66 points/ game at this time).  Reputation OR talent speaking, it'd cost a lot for either.

I'd rather give up a similar package for Parayko:

To STL: Juolevi + Gaudette + 2019 2nd + 2020 2nd

To VAN: Parayko

I feel like this deal might've worked before, but I don't know where Juolevi's value is at after his surgery. I'd like this trade if it went through though. 

11 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

The price for Tarasenko wouldn't be??  That's two roster players, one elite prospect and an early round pick that was offered in the OP for a guy who's having an off year (0.66 points/ game at this time).  Reputation OR talent speaking, it'd cost a lot for either.

Yes, all we can do really is cite past deals as comparables..but I'll guess the values(considering cap hit & positional importance) will wind up with Parayko fetching a greater return(if they're dealt in similar time-frames..unlikely, of course).

Both would be really nice assets to obtain, no doubt.

Pettersson

Bo

Gaudette

Don't know about you guys, but I'm lovin the idea of a decade+, running out these 3 C's. Young goaltenders always seem so uncertain.

If there were a choice between which piece to move..think I'd almost prefer to keep AG over TD. I'm sure over the coming yrs, offers will always come in for these two young talents.

I would not trade for a guy reach 30 and sacrifice a large chunk of our future. If your going to pay such a high price it better be for a young yet proven RHD player.

Draft and develop. Older vets at their peaks performances right now decrease the quality of players we draft. Would rather fall and draft a guy such as Hughes, Kakko, Cozens, Podkolzin. Any of these guys could end up being better then Tarasenko.

So... Tarasenko has one more point than Goldobin albeit with a few games in hand... If you think Tarasenko will play better here... otherwise whats the point? Do we want another pouty Russian on out team? Who knows whats going on with the Blues but they faltered last year as well with Tarasenko...

If you want to sell the farm for an elite forward you might as well get OReilly but he looks to be a cancer in the dressing room from his mileage...

What Vancouver is really lacking is a shooter from the back end... we have nothing, it's embarrassing... Parayko could fill that void.

But really... if your the Blues GM, do you trade Parayko? I doubt Payrako is part of the problem... What do I know tho...

21 minutes ago, Canucklehead73 said:

So... Tarasenko has one more point than Goldobin albeit with a few games in hand... If you think Tarasenko will play better here... otherwise whats the point? Do we want another pouty Russian on out team? Who knows whats going on with the Blues but they faltered last year as well with Tarasenko...

If you want to sell the farm for an elite forward you might as well get OReilly but he looks to be a cancer in the dressing room from his mileage...

What Vancouver is really lacking is a shooter from the back end... we have nothing, it's embarrassing... Parayko could fill that void.

But really... if your the Blues GM, do you trade Parayko? I doubt Payrako is part of the problem... What do I know tho...

I agree and disagree with you. 

Tarasenko plays a very North American game. He's not scared to drive the net, hes super competitive, has a crazy shot and high hockey iq.

I agree that Porayko may be our missing piece on the back end. I think he would be a perfect compliment to Hughes. He has a very team friendly deal, if he has a ressurgence. I would trade quite a bit to get him. 

But, as far as our team. I would wait and see what pick we secure at the draft, then I would evaluate from there. 

2 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Good point Alf. Betting about 25 other GM's would go for that too! The pkg would be far greater than the above, no doubt. What would you pony up for a player like Parayko?

2020 first and any players not including: Bo, Boes, Petey, Jake, Juiolevi, Hughes, Woo, and Demko.  

Archived