The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Dec. 27, 2018

-Vintage Canuck-

44 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Here's what I'm noticing/thinking....I take nothing away from McDavid, he's great.  But it seems it's easy to get in his head...and, with a coach who blames others when he fails to produce, it takes away some of the accountability.  Let's him off the hook.

EP's greatness comes with no satisfaction or complacency...even when he's great, he thinks he can be better.  He doesn't just expect it, he works hard for it.  He's pretty even keeled and rather than whine or blame when he's not finding the success that he'd like, he looks inward rather than outward.  Someone with that mentality is scary good because it's a matter of being a work in progress.  Who knows what the limit is with this kid.  It's pretty exciting. 

There's a confidence that is nicely balanced with being humble and thinking he could be better.  He doesn't just rely on the being the best, he's working on it constantly.  He doesn't whine about being mugged out there, he looks for ways to elude it.  That makes him better than the best, if that's possible.

Pretty good summary of Benning's key draft guideline don't you think? He clearly wants his draft team to find skilled players that are self-driven, humble, gamers. Could end up being the most important decision of Benning's tenure. Boeser, Gaudette, etc. all line up with this philosophy and I think fans will really see the benefits come playoff time (whenever that happens...hopefully this year).

11 minutes ago, Pete M said:

I'd make a trade...Granlund, Baer, Schaller ...take your pick and try and upgrade the 'D'.

...possibly Sutter if he can bring back someone good.

Benning is going to make a trade amongst the forwards eventually but that can't always be done quickly. 

Schaller for sure is on the market but the league knows that he's likely to be waived when Baertschi comes back.  Gagner is on the market but at a 3.1 cap hit, isn't attractive.   

I think that Sutter is very much under rated and would be stunned if they moved on him.  Bennings plan in the off season was to run with Horvat, Pettersson, Sutter and Beagle down the middle.  We have only seen this for what?  10 games to open the season?  On the other hand, I really don't think they want to send Gaudette down but do they really have a choice?  He's a keeper.

And Granny, maybe he's the odd man out but wouldn't he make a good 13th forward since he can slot in pretty much anywhere?  All 3 positions and up and down the line up.

One thing for sure, since I expect you disagree with some of my assessment, is that having too many players who can play is a good kind of problem and by June, something is going to give.

26 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Yes I feel that this team is built to pull upsets. When healthy, It's solid down the line up and every line is ultra competitive and hard to play against. 

UUUUhhh this is a nice thought. But there are very few comparisons to be drawn between this team and the LA team that rolled over us and everyone else on their way to the cup. 

That team was one built for the playoffs from the get go they were a horrid early season team it wasn't until the back half of the season when the intensity ratcheted up they started obliterating teams with their phisicallity or clutching and grabbing their way to 2-1 1-0 victories. Unfortunately the 2012/14 kings would make mince meat of the 2018/19 Canucks.  But it is a nice thought that these Canucks could come on strong late and finish with vigour and lets say by some miracle they do  because I like this fantasy. 

They meet in the 1st round WPG I think we can end this fantasy here.

In conclusion This IMO would actually be a best case scenario the experience gleaned from this would be invaluable to the teams future success. I would take a playoff birth this year and drafting one of Foote, Sieder  over Jack Hughes. 

Damn Jay Beagle is a helluva player.

16.7% ozone starts.

2nd among forwards in ice-time at just over 20 minutes.

A point, and +2.

That line gave the Coil fits all night.

Lottery champions can only score with game-managed man-advantages.  Such a sad, once-proud franchise.

Gotta love Gud and Motte as well....

and of course, Eddie who played a hair under 26 minutes, was +2, with 7.7% ozone starts (2 ozone, 24 D zone) 11 hits and 6 blocks = epic performance.

23 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

One would have to think that the Oilers are a better team than we saw last night because they had 3 of their top 4 D injured.  Having said that, their forwards are thin and the scoring is pretty much between McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH and Chaison (who was hurt in the 1st).  It really drops off after that.  

The Oilers must be a very frustrating team to play for.  I don't know what the problem is but listening to Spector last night who was saying that they have had 8 coaches in 11 years etc and McLellan was quality too.  He really didn't look happy the last while before he was fired.  So when the coach is beaten down, there is some trickle down on the team too.  Stability is important.

Even so, they have some good players coming along like Suzuki, Pulujarvi, Bouchard, Yamamoto but Spector also alluded to their lack of veteran leadership.  Lucic sure isn't that guy.  I have thought for some time that the front office must have issues.  The team is a real head scratcher.  They have had such high draft picks but have never been able to develop players beyond the first round.  Even a blind squirrel finds a nut from time to time.  It can't all be drafting.

Anyhow, this is turning into a longer post than I intended.  McDavid doesn't have the support that he needs from veterans.  Imagine for example if they had Beagle.  Benning has tried to retain veteran leaders throughout and has also drafted for character.  So the Sedin's have retired but a 23 year old Horvat is ready for the C.  I think the Oilers are missing out on some of the intangibles

I honestly wonder if character vets would make a difference there. From the outside its almost like all their #1 picks feel they're so good they don't need to listen to veterans or learn from them because they feel they're already so much better. I have no basis of proof or fact that this is the case, but it must be something? It makes me really appreciate the team culture we have. Even our star kids that are ripping it up are relatively humble and aware of how much they can learn about being pro from the vets. Sometimes I get the feeling the oilers are like the lord of the flies with the kids running the island. Year after year they seem to degenerate into chaos. The team tuning out so many coaches in such a small amount of time seems to suggest this as well. 

Love my team 

2 minutes ago, Samgagner'sface said:

I honestly wonder if character vets would make a difference there. From the outside its almost like all their #1 picks feel they're so good they don't need to listen to veterans or learn from them because they feel they're already so much better. I have no basis of proof or fact that this is the case, but it must be something? It makes me really appreciate the team culture we have. Even our star kids that are ripping it up are relatively humble and aware of how much they can learn about being pro from the vets. Sometimes I get the feeling the oilers are like the lord of the flies with the kids running the island. Year after year they seem to degenerate into chaos. The team tuning out so many coaches in such a small amount of time seems to suggest this as well. 

Love my team 

I think drafting McCann was a eye opener skill is one thing but if you aren't part of the team off the ice you won't be part of the team.

23 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Benning is going to make a trade amongst the forwards eventually but that can't always be done quickly. 

Schaller for sure is on the market but the league knows that he's likely to be waived when Baertschi comes back.  Gagner is on the market but at a 3.1 cap hit, isn't attractive.   

I think that Sutter is very much under rated and would be stunned if they moved on him.  Bennings plan in the off season was to run with Horvat, Pettersson, Sutter and Beagle down the middle.  We have only seen this for what?  10 games to open the season?  On the other hand, I really don't think they want to send Gaudette down but do they really have a choice?  He's a keeper.

And Granny, maybe he's the odd man out but wouldn't he make a good 13th forward since he can slot in pretty much anywhere?  All 3 positions and up and down the line up.

One thing for sure, since I expect you disagree with some of my assessment, is that having too many players who can play is a good kind of problem and by June, something is going to give.

think anyone picks up Schaller with his price tag? I bet he clears. I think that is part of the reason JB gave him that contract is zo that we can send him down as and bring him up without worry. If the Canucks make the playoffs having him waiting in the wings is quite savvy though regular season it might appear dead weight.

12 minutes ago, Samgagner'sface said:

Love my team 

TBH, I think its a combination of the sheer pressure of playing for a Canadian team like Edmonton and having no veteran leadership to help guide the youth mentally. I mean, these high draft picks start playing for the Oilers at like 19 and 20, were being paid millions of dollars at a young age, were being pressured to succeed like crazy from the fans but had nobody to turn to for mental guidance on how to deal with all these things. Not to mention, its possible that some of these guys were being rushed.

43 minutes ago, The Beagle had landed said:

I think thats on management and their failure to add a legitimate veteran leader.  The curse of having multiple first overalls is their belief that these kids were so good that they'd figure it out themselves.

It truly is a disgrace to the city, the fans, and the league in general that this organization continues to draft these amazing talents without any guidance or leadership.

I'm saying this as a fan of hockey.  I hate the Oilers and they're getting what they deserve, but these young players deserve much better.

The Oilers management team has always thought they could re-create the Oilers teams of the early 80's. This was perpetuated by the fact they continually added management that were former players from that era. Their owner is a self confessed ultra fan of those teams and lives out his obsession by surrounding himself with ex-players of those teams.

I had the unfortunate pleasure of being an Oilers season ticket holder from 1979 - 1984 and the attitude of the team at that time was to have all the kids on the team play and grow together......never a mention of ensuring they had some veteran leadership. That strategy worked for them at that time and I am convinced the Kevin Lowe's and Craig McTavish's have tried to use that same strategy to re-create their glory years again. Obviously that strategy has not worked for them and they still will not deviate from what made them successful in the 80's.

You could really see that the Oilers were going to be a very good team by the 1981/82 season and they virtually did that with very little veteran leadership. They had the following players all 23 and under on that 1981/82 team:

- Glen Anderson

- Paul Coffey

- Grant Fuhr

- Wayne Gretzky

- Charlie Huddy

- Jari Kurri

- Kevin Lowe

- Mark Messier

- Andy Moog

You could probably get away with not having veteran leadership with a young core like that but their management simply will not recognize that that was a one off and they will never have a young core like that again. As you say, the team is a mess and shows no sign of moving in the right direction even with a player like McDavid.

29 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Yeah, way to soon to let go of Sutter; besides, he still has a NTC until next season.  The game last night proved how guys like Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Leivo and even Eriksson create a more complete team surrounding the young stars.  Very happy regarding the Beagle and Rousell term.  I think Sutts stays for another season, at least.

I think they waive Schaller (who will not be claimed) and send Gaud down.  I don't want to see Gaud playing low TOI as a W.  Also, having Schaller and Gaud in Utica will be a massive improvement and help the Comets compete well in the 2nd half.  The farm team dearly needs some attention.

3 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Waiver exempt and he can go tear up the AHL. It would be best instead of burying him on the 4th line or in the pressbox

I must have it wrong in my memory, but I thought, at the beginning of the season, it was said if Gaudette was in the lineup for just 3 more games he became waiver eligible? Everyone says he’s not though. So is it just an age thing with him? I’m not understanding why he isn’t eligible at this point. Could someone in the know explaon this for me? I know nothing about waiver rules (as you can see) I have a feeling I must be mixing him up with someone else though, maybe it was Leipsig or Motte

32 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Here's what I'm noticing/thinking....I take nothing away from McDavid, he's great.  But it seems it's easy to get in his head...and, with a coach who blames others when he fails to produce, it takes away some of the accountability.

EP's greatness comes with no satisfaction or complacency...even when he's great, he thinks he can be better.  He doesn't just expect it, he works hard for it.  He's pretty even keeled and rather than whine or blame when he's not finding the success that he'd like, he looks inward rather than outward.  Someone with that mentality is scary good because it's a matter of being a work in progress.  Who knows what the limit is with this kid.  It's pretty exciting. 

There's a confidence that is nicely balanced with being humble and thinking he could be better.  He doesn't just rely on the being the best, he's working on it constantly.  He doesn't whine about being mugged out there, he looks for ways to elude it.  That makes him better than the best, if that's possible.

Exactly Deb that was the character and heart I was describing and that is what will put us above the rest. Not only do they have skill but they have more which is difficult to measure. It will make the difference between making it to the finals to actually winning a championship. No excuses just the desire to excel.

Management has taken so much heat for signing vets these past few years, it’s nice to see CDC at least appreciate the character we’ve built despite some losing seasons.  

Side by side against the oilers it’s pretty clear JB has had the right idea bringing in guys like Beagle, Roussel, Sutter, Gudbranson (Miller, Dorsett, etc) and keeping guys like Edler and Tanev on the roster while fans were hollering for more 2nd round picks and a scorched earth rebuild.  

It hasn’t been perfect by any stretch but I’ve always backed JB’s obvious effort to support our incoming younger guys with high character vets.

Further, I’ve appreciated how Green (and WD before him) have always kept the club working hard despite icing some rosters that had no business in on NHL ice. 

The internal competition is also key despite a lack of talent over the years (see: Gagner in the minors, Virtanen spending a year in Utica, etc).

Anyways, I’m jumping the gun a bit declaring a victory here but this was always the process we were undertaking and it’s nice to see it working out, even for a one off against Edmonton.

38 minutes ago, arsenalian said:

I must have it wrong in my memory, but I thought, at the beginning of the season, it was said if Gaudette was in the lineup for just 3 more games he became waiver eligible? Everyone says he’s not though. So is it just an age thing with him? I’m not understanding why he isn’t eligible at this point. Could someone in the know explaon this for me? I know nothing about waiver rules (as you can see) I have a feeling I must be mixing him up with someone else though, maybe it was Leipsig or Motte

I think that Motte is the player you are thinking of. I'll add Vancouver CapFriendly page. If a player has a green down arrow attached to their name, then they do not need to clear waivers ! https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks

Archived