The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Dec. 27, 2018

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

My definition of a disastrous period was; our absence of shots, zone time, offensive pressure, countless giveaways (EP with like 4 terrible giveaways himself), and the oilers turning the jets on. Sure, they only got 1 PP goal out of it, and we did play a good game, but let’s not kid ourselves, that 2nd period was not a good one, not at all. Thank you Marky. 

wasn't a good period, at all.

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

Has that Lucic signing ever gone downhill - even faster than most of us anticipated.

They've won nothing in the initial stages....

And now, here they are with a 1 goal scorer, who has 6 assists, 2 of those on the powerplay.

5 even strength pts through 37 games...the Canucks have literally no one with production that anemic, let alone that comes with a 6 million cap hit - when the Coil are supposed to be contending.

What's maybe even worse is that they have Lucic playing an absolute misfit role on a bottom six 'checking' line, something he does not appear cut out to fulfill. 

LE's 7 goals and 16 pts, and 15 takeaways (+10) not looking so bad by comparison.

But, but Lucic hits people.  Those might be the most expensive hits in NHL history.

LE has done better of late.  He seems to be playing with more energy.  I think we would all be happier if that became a regular occurrence.  If he has 20g this season playing like he has in the last 10 games... it may actually make JB look not so bad at this FA thing.  

Chirelli, well he should be fired by now.  

Resident Sportnet Oilers homer, Mark Spector, with a gushing Canucks article

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-beginning-build-belief-promising-rebuild-gains-traction/

EDMONTON — Whether you’re in the vortex that is the perpetual rebuild in Edmonton, or inside the one that’s beginning to gain some traction in Vancouver, so much of what you can accomplish hinges on belief.

So, as the Vancouver Canucks climbed over the Oilers in the Western Conference standings with a 4-2 road win — their second win over Edmonton in the past five games — the belief is beginning to build inside this Canucks dressing room. If not quite yet on the outside of those doors.

“If not us, who else is going to believe in us?” asked goaltender Jacob Markstrom. “You (media) guys aren’t, so sure as hell we are.”

Fair, Jacob.

That defines the Canucks, a group that was supposed to be in the ‘Lose for Hughes’ constellation, which instead finds itself right in the wild-card mix as the halfway part of the season approaches. Vancouver got a bit of luck on Thursday when Oilers goalie Mikko Koskinen mailed in his first stinker of the season, but buried four goals on six first-period shots before hanging on for the win.

The Canucks win because they were opportunistic, and their goaltending was better than the opponent. So what if they only had 20 shots on goal and were dominated for long stretches by Edmonton?

Last we checked, there is no room in the standings for an explanation, and this win puts the Canucks at 18-18-4.

“This is how it should feel,” Markstrom said. “Winning shouldn’t be something you celebrate. It should be normal … and in this organization we had that for a long time. That’s what we’re working to get back.”

There are holes here, of course. That’s why there wasn’t a voice in the hockey wilderness that picked the Canucks to challenge for a playoff spot this season. But they’ve got an incredibly skilled superstar in Elias Pettersson, and skilled and sturdy second-line centre in Bo Horvat, a legit sniper in Brock Boeser and a few more pieces coming.

Not to mention a coach that looks like the long-term solution, something the Oilers still haven’t found umpteen years into their project.

“From Day 1 we’ve talked about how we want to play,” Travis Green said. “We want to be faster and harder to play against, and we wanted to play meaningful games down the stretch. For us it’s about developing our young guys and, obviously, winning. We want to win, and we’re preaching it.

“We’re not getting ahead of ourselves — we’re at .500 right now and we have a long way to go.”

You could hear the belief in their voices in the Vancouver room, while down the hallway in the Oilers bathhouse, there they were — still, In 2018 — trying to convince themselves that this four-game losing steak is just a blip. That they can break right out of this and make that playoff run starting Saturday against San Jose.

“We have dug ourselves a little bit of a hole the last four games and we can’t afford to keep digging it,” said Milan Lucic, the $6-million winger who has two games left in 2018 to add to the two goals he has scored in this calendar year. “We have to find a way out, and it isn’t going to take just one or two guys, it is going to take every one.

“We know it is there,” he pleaded. “We believe in this group. It is just about coming out of this spot and tough part of the season that teams go through. If we find a way to come out of it sooner than later, hopefully it will make you better.”

Edmonton, in fact, did dominate much of the game, after giving up a 4-1 first-period lead (the first four-goal Canucks first period in exactly nine years to the day). They outshot Vancouver 32-20, and Cam Talbot relieved Koskinen after 20 minutes and did not allow a goal.

Alas, it was another moral victory for a team that could build an office tower out of them, since this rebuild began some 11 or 12 years ago.

“I believe right now this is the building block back again,” said Ken Hitchcock, who has a knack for telling the media exactly what he thinks his players need to hear. “I know we’re in a really tough situation injury-wise, we have a lot of people out, but I saw some things today that are some building blocks that we can move this thing forward and hopefully to another level.”

Oh, yes. Sixteen-goal man Alex Chiasson left the game and did not return after being struck by a puck in the knee. That’s the bad news.

The good news? Edmonton won’t see Vancouver again until Jan. 16.

He even rips on the Humpback of NoGOALa Dame

53 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Nice result.  Brutal reffing, but at least the refs got around to putting the whistles away for the Canucks too.  It was reminiscent of the 80s and 90s with that reffing.  Petey putting up with a lot of crap out there, worse if not more quantity than McD dealt with the last time we played.  Crosscheck to the head was good for a fine a couple weeks back, but I guess Connor gets a pass.  Given how in recent games Canucks were responding better after plays like that, I guess they had to put it in check given Oilers PP success and the close game.

Great to see Motte come back after the hit he took too.  Love his attitude.  It's players like him every team needs to be successful.  Relentless energy making up for any lack of talent.

So many things about Petey make me choke up some.  I love what he is bringing to this team.  I love how he instills hope.  Even his little smirk, and the confidence behind it, makes me feel nice n warm inside.  Bo, Boes, and Petey... lead us to the promised land.  We fans have suffered for too long, but I believe you can help us all out soon.

GCG!

Motte has been a genius trade.  Has been dangerous and our 4th line has to be dealt with.  

Ot seems that we are not running at full power yet.  We usually get two lines running well, then th other two seem to struggle a bit.  

Once we get all four lines clicking in the same game.... 

Sometimes you need your goalie to win you one and get a turnover here and there to make a better team look bad.  

2 points and a very frustrated Oilers and their fans must be calling for someones head.  

13 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Why the f---k is it a bad game when we hold a team with some of the best players in the league to 2 PP goals and put four 4 past them? Have you looked at the age of our team? Did you see their travel schedule for the game?

We played f----g great!! - so that makes it a GOOD game in my book. Even Pouliot was decent.

You don't have to agree with me, that's fine. But I disagree with your assessment. Goaltending aside I thought Edmonton was the better team most of the game, the shots evened out a bit towards the end but during the second and third periods it felt like Edmonton just kept coming at us. Pete was good, Goldy and Horvat were good, the fourth line was fantastic and Marky was stellar. Edler, Tanev and Guddy played solid defense too. That being said Edmonton had the territorial advantage and McDavid could have had four points against us last night if not for Marky coming up big. For me Marky was the difference. Shaky goaltending sunk Edmonton early but we didn't look like the better team to me after the first period.

Age be damned, the younger guys on our team are there because they've either proven they should be in the lineup or management thinks there's something there worth developing or looking at. As for travel schedule they'd just had five days off and were fresh.

We were great for the first period but after that we were good enough defensively and not much else. That doesn't make for a good game in my book, it was just enough to get the win. We played better hockey against the Jets imo and we lost that one. I'm happy we won but I expect a more complete effort and we'll need it against Calgary.

Spector is wrong - or at least I guess my voice isn’t heard in the hockey wilderness - I thought they’d challenge for a playoff spot. I didn’t think they’d actually make it, but I thought we’d be somewhat close to a wildcard.

With the amazing/surprising play of Pettersson we could even make it if we get and stay healthy.

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

You don't have to agree with me, that's fine. But I disagree with your assessment. Goaltending aside I thought Edmonton was the better team most of the game, the shots evened out a bit towards the end but during the second and third periods it felt like Edmonton just kept coming at us. Pete was good, Goldy and Horvat were good, the fourth line was fantastic and Marky was stellar. Edler, Tanev and Guddy played solid defense too. That being said Edmonton had the territorial advantage and McDavid could have had four points against us last night if not for Marky coming up big. For me Marky was the difference. Shaky goaltending sunk Edmonton early but we didn't look like the better team to me after the first period.

Age be damned, the younger guys on our team are there because they've either proven they should be in the lineup or management thinks there's something there worth developing or looking at. As for travel schedule they'd just had five days off and were fresh.

We were great for the first period but after that we were good enough defensively and not much else. That doesn't make for a good game in my book, it was just enough to get the win. We played better hockey against the Jets imo and we lost that one. I'm happy we won but I expect a more complete effort and we'll need it against Calgary.

That's what happens when games are played. You win some you shouldn't, and lose some you shouldn't.

Mark Spector is trying to blame the goalie for the Oilers loss... but he is wrong.

- The goal by Motte was a legitmate snipe right inside the post.

- The goal by Boeser was basically unstoppable with the pass by EP setting him up with an open side.

- The goal by Petey was also brilliant snipe.... he picked a very small area open above Koskinen's right shoulder... if Koskinen had moved right to cover that, he would have uncovered more of the far side...  the shot was perfect.

-  The goal by Roussel was a result of the Oiler D failing to corral Horvat... and then the puck bouncing around like a pinball and being pounced on by a Canuck forward... again because the Oiler D didn't clear the front of the net.

None of the Canucks goals were classic goalie errors.

No, the problem with the Coil goes much deeper... the team defense is bad and the forwards are not compensating by playing hard in their own zone.

Plus nobody is scoring, (except on the PP) on any line except McDavid's.

21 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I watched about the final 50 minutes of the game. My thoughts:

- Pettersson was fantastic, as usual, but did have a few bad giveaways

- Markstrom was my first star. We were able to hold onto this game because of him.

- Roussel looked like the dream mixture of Burrows and Hansen. Amazing game by him.

- Horvat had a very strong game, as usual

- Tanev and Edler both had strong games

- Pouliot was pretty bad aside from a good pass to make a goal early on

- Boeser had a few good moments, but wasn't out of this world

- Goldy had some amazing offensive moments. He's arguably next to only Pettersson in hockey IQ on this team.

- Eriksson was largely unnoticeable but had a few good moments

- Motte was fantastic--created a few good chances and had a blazing wrister to score a goal

- Biega had a strong game

- Gudbranson had a surprisingly strong defensive game

- Refs were terrible, tons of missed calls on both sides

What do you mean Gudbranson is surprising?   Dude is a beast.  This is what we got him for.  To play shutdown d like he did in Florida.   

5 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

I think that Motte is the player you are thinking of. I'll add Vancouver CapFriendly page. If a player has a green down arrow attached to their name, then they do not need to clear waivers ! https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks

Thanks ST appreciate it. Yes it was Motte I was thinking of. Looks like it was the right decision to keep him up

Just read that Elmer Benning has passed away (Jims' Dad) I knew he had cancer but last I had heard he was still going to the rink once in awhile and that wasn't to terribly long ago

Rest in Peace Mr Benning - you were a true scout

Archived