The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Dec. 27, 2018

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, EastVanCanuck said:

What do you mean Gudbranson is surprising?   Dude is a beast.  This is what we got him for.  To play shutdown d like he did in Florida.   

+1 our team is so much better with him on our team, I hope he is here for years to come especially when we are legit contenders. He is the perfect age for our core.

7 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

LE has done better of late.  He seems to be playing with more energy.  I think we would all be happier if that became a regular occurrence.  If he has 20g this season playing like he has in the last 10 games... it may actually make JB look not so bad at this FA thing.  

Chirelli, well he should be fired by now.  

To be fair, there was a lot of butt hurt in these parts when Milan signed with the Oil instead of the Canucks.

This might have been a case of better lucky than good.

7 hours ago, EastVanCanuck said:

What do you mean Gudbranson is surprising?   Dude is a beast.  This is what we got him for.  To play shutdown d like he did in Florida.   

I find that he's often too slow to play strong defense and is at best mediocre often. He had a strong game though.

8 hours ago, Coconuts said:

You don't have to agree with me, that's fine. But I disagree with your assessment. Goaltending aside I thought Edmonton was the better team most of the game, the shots evened out a bit towards the end but during the second and third periods it felt like Edmonton just kept coming at us. Pete was good, Goldy and Horvat were good, the fourth line was fantastic and Marky was stellar. Edler, Tanev and Guddy played solid defense too. That being said Edmonton had the territorial advantage and McDavid could have had four points against us last night if not for Marky coming up big. For me Marky was the difference. Shaky goaltending sunk Edmonton early but we didn't look like the better team to me after the first period.

Age be damned, the younger guys on our team are there because they've either proven they should be in the lineup or management thinks there's something there worth developing or looking at. As for travel schedule they'd just had five days off and were fresh.

We were great for the first period but after that we were good enough defensively and not much else. That doesn't make for a good game in my book, it was just enough to get the win. We played better hockey against the Jets imo and we lost that one. I'm happy we won but I expect a more complete effort and we'll need it against Calgary.

I think you were influenced by the PPs

But hey, the game is all about opinions. You can't help yours I suppose. :lol:

3 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

To be fair, there was a lot of butt hurt in these parts when Milan signed with the Oil instead of the Canucks.

This might have been a case of better lucky than good.

It is better to be lucky vs good.  I can't remember is LE was JB's first choice and Lucic was second.  It has been a while.  

Both were terrible signings.  Redemption is on a grading curve.  At least our terrible signing is looking way better than the Oilers terrible signing.  

21 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

My definition of a disastrous period was; our absence of shots, zone time, offensive pressure, countless giveaways (EP with like 4 terrible giveaways himself), and the oilers turning the jets on. Sure, they only got 1 PP goal out of it, and we did play a good game, but let’s not kid ourselves, that 2nd period was not a good one, not at all. Thank you Marky. 

Meh.   Markstrom was good, but Edmonton had a mere 11 shots - with 2 powerplays.  Not exactly 'disaster' considering a 3 goal lead/deficit.

But this is why an early 3 goal lead in a game is referred to as the worst/most dangerous lead in hockey - it's 'natural' to take less risks/play 'prevent' in those circumstances.

Edmonton generated very few real threats at even strength all night - and that's without a Sutter line in effect.

They're just not as good as people who paper-tiger that team think - not a very well built team imo.

They have no real shutdown units.  I mean Lucic is the opposing winger to Kassian on their 'checking line' - a line that got exposed imo whether it was facing the top 6 or our '4th line'.

22 hours ago, oldnews said:

Has that Lucic signing ever gone downhill - even faster than most of us anticipated.

They've won nothing in the initial stages....

And now, here they are with a 1 goal scorer, who has 6 assists, 2 of those on the powerplay.

5 even strength pts through 37 games...the Canucks have literally no one with production that anemic, let alone that comes with a 6 million cap hit - when the Coil are supposed to be contending.

What's maybe even worse is that they have Lucic playing an absolute misfit role on a bottom six 'checking' line, something he does not appear cut out to fulfill. 

LE's 7 goals and 16 pts, and 15 takeaways (+10) not looking so bad by comparison.

But, but Lucic hits people.  Those might be the most expensive hits in NHL history.

A lot of folks here were salivating at the thought of us signing Lucic. Glad that didn’t happen.

20 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

Have to stop you there alf... playing for Hitch he wouldn't get too far without being great without the puck!

I dunno about that... I re-watched about half the game, all of the 1st and a good portion of the 3rd, mostly to watch McD's play.  There was an awful lot of McD circling out around his blue line waiting for a breakout attempt rather than sticking to his check.  And he still played half the game.

Offensively, away from the puck, he is good/great.  His speed and skill will let him take advantage of opportunities that his team can provide.  Last I saw, however, McD is a center.  Isn't cherry picking a winger's game?  I did not see much of McDavid coming back inside the dots to support his D.  Small sample size, perhaps.  And, it might be coaching.

Conversely, I love seeing Petey helping out.  He's obviously not big, but he is determined, and often works hard as a checker on his own end of the rink.  I never thought about this before, being one who put a lot of Oiler losses on the backs of lame D play... are they getting good support from their centers?

Here it is. Edmonton, even after hiring the Hitch, SUCK. 

If you are unfortunate enough to be an Oilers fan you're also realizing Vancouver is better than Edmonton, far better. 

San Jose just blasted the Oilers for 7 goals this afternoon. Got to love it.

I say it over and over. Total house cleaning. Too bad the owner can't get a brain transplant. 

Why do either JugHead Lowe and Jughead MacTavish have their jobs after all this time?

It's Jughead management. 

Here's where the Oilers could have been now:

#1 line:   Draisaitl McDavid Chiasson

#2 line:   Hall Nugent-Hopkins Caggiula

#3-4 lines:  Not Lucic and his contract... probably Kassian, Puljujarvi... some checkers etc.  Probably needed to trade Eberle... but get a D.

Defense:  Subtract Larsson, add Hamonic and whoever else they could find... maybe they could have stolen Guddy from Florida instead of the Canucks?  Sent Eberle to Florida for Guddy?

They would have had two excellent scoring lines and a mediocre defense... which they could have built up with free agent signings and drafts

But the idiots in management at the Oilers thought they could have a Stanley Cup Contender only one year after lucking out with the #1 draft and McDavid.

Oilers management needed to have patience... instead they jumped the gun and p*ssed away their #1's and their offensive depth.

Worst example of NHL managing in history of the league.

3 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Here's where the Oilers could have been now:

#1 line:   Draisaitl McDavid Chiasson

#2 line:   Hall Nugent-Hopkins Caggiula

#3-4 lines:  Not Lucic and his contract... probably Kassian, Puljujarvi... some checkers etc.  Probably needed to trade Eberle... but get a D.

Defense:  Subtract Larsson, add Hamonic and whoever else they could find... maybe they could have stolen Guddy from Florida instead of the Canucks?  Sent Eberle to Florida for Guddy?

They would have had two excellent scoring lines and a mediocre defense... which they could have built up with free agent signings and drafts

But the idiots in management at the Oilers thought they could have a Stanley Cup Contender only one year after lucking out with the #1 draft and McDavid.

Oilers management needed to have patience... instead they jumped the gun and p*ssed away their #1's and their offensive depth.

Worst example of NHL managing in history of the league.

I was convinced Hitch would get that team playing the right way.  He was able to for a short stretch at first, but they have gone back to being selfishly playing on the wrong side of pucks.  McDavid has to be a true captain, and start playing the game the right way, and not just thinking offensively 100% of the time.  

17 hours ago, Alflives said:

I was convinced Hitch would get that team playing the right way.  He was able to for a short stretch at first, but they have gone back to being selfishly playing on the wrong side of pucks.  McDavid has to be a true captain, and start playing the game the right way, and not just thinking offensively 100% of the time.  

I think we all know Hitch isn't the problem.

We've determined ownership and the Jughead management team approach has flopped beyond words. Over a decade of poor results.

lol, They thought bringing Gretzky was going to help. No chance. No change. 

Past the two players there is little to work with. The young players Edmonton possess aren't that good. It's not like they are saying,"wait a few years until this guy develops."

The expected Hitch to turn the show around but how can he if the team he was given to coach just isn't good enough. 

Zach Kassian, as I've stated many times simply isn't smart. At least he's not partying. Both Montreal and Vancouver weren't stupid in washing their hands of this guy. 

Then the Milan Lucic signing. All I can say is I'm glad Edmonton has that contract, at least in Vancouver with Eriksson they have a player with some defensive and that can skate.

God forbid Edmonton lucking out and getting the number one overall again.

The mess grows daily.

On 12/30/2018 at 3:41 PM, Samgagner'sface said:

Edmonton be busy today. Looks like they just reshaped their back end

Total waste of time that was. Not even McDavid seems motivated and he's the captain. 

This outfit is in deep trouble. 

The moves made on the back end will do little to steady things especially with no goaltending worth speaking of. 

Edmonton has had so much time to build a good team with a good prospect pool. 

Vancouver has far surpassed Edmonton in all aspects of a rebuild. 

Here's a good one.  

Who gets fired next, GM, Kevin Lowe or MacTavish?

Personally all "3" should be flushed but start at the top for $hits sake. 

I'd say GM is done, gone before seasonsend. Can you image how the trade deadline with look like for Edmonton. 

It's beyond a disaster.  

Archived