Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(discuss) Canucks January's Schedule


Pete M

Recommended Posts

January's schedule looks good to make up some ground and go streaking...survive this road trip (go 3/3 or 4/2), then the 6 game home stand with the boys getting healthy and playing tough defensive, but fast hockey with Marky holding the Fort against teams they can beat....the team could be standing in a playoff spot after January is over...Go! Canucks! Go!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

.500 on this road trip, then potentially beating down several inferior teams, then a 9 game break to heal up for a last push.... it certainly helps given how screwed over we were on the schedule so far. Man that losing skid hurts, even winning one more would be huge right now. 

 

Its going to be a tough last 1/3 of the year tho. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Dombrova22 said:

The only thing is, we have a couple more games played already compared to a few that are right behind us/right ahead of us.

This is true that a few teams have games in hand, but the bulk of these are road games for us.  Once the Canucks have finished this trip, they will have played 26 road games, and 19 home games.  Of the teams last 37 games, 22 will be at home, 15 on the road and mostly shorter trips.  If the Team comes back from this trip a point or two out of a playoff spot, I think there is real potential of them pushing for a playoff spot at the end of the year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, zombieksa said:

More rest time than 90% of the league and more home games than road games makes for a good chance at a push in the 2nd half. 

My worry is that we struggle against Pacific rivals as those are 4 point games.

We should play more games against Edmonton we own them this year :bigblush:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

January's schedule is no harder than most months this year, a fairly easy 9 games this month.

 

As far as the playoffs.....not one more injury.....and getting 53 to 55 pts the remainder of the season will give the team a chance at a WC spot.

 

They only have to play as good as Tampa has so far.

 

This standings thing is so off, the Nucks have played 5 games more than a team 5 points behind them, every team would have to lose 7 games in a row and the Canucks would still need to win the next 3 to stay even.

 

It is not impossible just highly unlikely, 55 pts in 42 games. 23+ W's and OTL's in 42 games, with not one more injury to Tanev, Edler, Horvat, EP, Boeser, Markstrom or even Jake? A blocked shot, another body check, illness, trades?

 

Is it worth it to be 8 points out of playoff spot and drop 7 spots to 10 or 12 at the draft when this team needs so many more young stars? Is it being suggested that the team not be active at the TDL or before?

 

Is it worth it to get to the playoffs, miss the top players in the draft and possibly go one and done due to lack of depth?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Is it worth it to be 8 points out of playoff spot and drop 7 spots to 10 or 12 at the draft when this team needs so many more young stars? Is it being suggested that the team not be active at the TDL or before?

 

I cheer my team on to win, not get a better draft position. Benning will get a great player in the 1st round, no matter where we draft. So can we just drop the tank mentality already.

 

Is a winning record worth it? Of course it is, that’s invaluable to a young teams confidence. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, arsenalian said:

I cheer my team on to win, not get a better draft position. Benning will get a great player in the 1st round, no matter where we draft. So can we just drop the tank mentality already.

 

Is a winning record worth it? Of course it is, that’s invaluable to a young teams confidence. 

 

Well just understand that a .560 record puts the team around 20th out of 31 in the standings and as many points as they have now they are 18 Wins and 22 losses.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

 

They only have to play as good as Tampa has so far.

 

 

Is it worth it to get to the playoffs, miss the top players in the draft and possibly go one and done due to lack of depth?

 

 

no, they only have to play better than Edmonton and Dallas. 

 

Is it worth it? age old CDC question right there :lol: when you listen to how pumped guys like Boeser and Bo are to still be in the playoff conversation, yeah I do think its worth it. These guys are still learning how to win as a team and that doesn't happen on tank teams. It just doesn't. 

 

Do we have enough drafted talent to be a playoff team next year? thats hard to say. Maybe. But I do think it will take a couple more key free agent signings too to make this team an actual contender. 

 

We're not going to be bad enough for a top 3 pick anyway this year so they might as well go for it, the draft talent is still good over most of the 1st round anyway. 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

no, they only have to play better than Edmonton and Dallas. 

 

Is it worth it? age old CDC question right there :lol: when you listen to how pumped guys like Boeser and Bo are to still be in the playoff conversation, yeah I do think its worth it. These guys are still learning how to win as a team and that doesn't happen on tank teams. It just doesn't. 

 

Do we have enough drafted talent to be a playoff team next year? thats hard to say. Maybe. But I do think it will take a couple more key free agent signings too to make this team an actual contender. 

 

We're not going to be bad enough for a top 3 pick anyway this year so they might as well go for it, the draft talent is still good over most of the 1st round anyway. 

 

 

 

And Minny - 3 pts back with 4 games in hand

And St Lo - 5 pts back and 5 games in hand

And Yotes 6 pts back and 3 games in hand

 

Edmonton - 1 pt back and 3 games in hand

Dallas - 1 pt up and 2 games in hand.

 

All these teams have to lose all those games in hand, that is 17 games that have to be lost just to keep the status quo, the standings as they are now.

 

And 95 points is the average to make a wild card spot, last year Florida with 96 didn't.

 

As far as bad enough, well the other two times didn't work for a top 3 pick so maybe a 7th spot gets lucky and nabs #1, better odds the lower, the lower the more young players are learning together to win. And the team has still lost 4 more than they have won with a lot fewer injuries than last year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

And Minny - 3 pts back with 4 games in hand

And St Lo - 5 pts back and 5 games in hand

And Yotes 6 pts back and 3 games in hand

 

Edmonton - 1 pt back and 3 games in hand

Dallas - 1 pt up and 2 games in hand.

 

All these teams have to lose all those games in hand, that is 17 games that have to be lost just to keep the status quo, the standings as they are now.

 

And 95 points is the average to make a wild card spot, last year Florida with 96 didn't.

 

As far as bad enough, well the other two times didn't work for a top 3 pick so maybe a 7th spot gets lucky and nabs #1, better odds the lower, the lower the more young players are learning together to win. And the team has still lost 4 more than they have won with a lot fewer injuries than last year.

thats very possible given the state of those teams right now. Not saying its going to be easy but its still possible. 

 

Bo, Boeser and Petey are already too good, and we're playing a great team defence, its just not going to be a tank year. But who knows, maybe Bettman wants to gift us 1st oa :lol:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

And Minny - 3 pts back with 4 games in hand

And St Lo - 5 pts back and 5 games in hand

And Yotes 6 pts back and 3 games in hand

 

Edmonton - 1 pt back and 3 games in hand

Dallas - 1 pt up and 2 games in hand.

 

All these teams have to lose all those games in hand, that is 17 games that have to be lost just to keep the status quo, the standings as they are now.

 

And 95 points is the average to make a wild card spot, last year Florida with 96 didn't.

 

As far as bad enough, well the other two times didn't work for a top 3 pick so maybe a 7th spot gets lucky and nabs #1, better odds the lower, the lower the more young players are learning together to win. And the team has still lost 4 more than they have won with a lot fewer injuries than last year.

So? Every team goes on losing skids. You’re assuming those teams will win all their games in hand. Even if they win all those, 12 points back is not the insurmountable impossibility you make it out to be with more than 1/2 the season still to go. You play to win your games and not worry what other teams are doing. Seems like you’ve never played competitive sports, and would rather just sit on the sideline stat gazing.

 

I’m going to be cheering them on to make the playoffs, and if they don’t oh well it’s been a succesful year regardless. Enjoy your defeatist gloom though, in the hopes of maybe moving up a few picks in the draft, that’ll be franchise changing, lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, arsenalian said:

So? Every team goes on losing skids. You’re assuming those teams will win all their games in hand. Even if they win all those, 12 points back is not the insurmountable impossibility you make it out to be with more than 1/2 the season still to go. You play to win your games and not worry what other teams are doing. Seems like you’ve never played competitive sports, and would rather just sit on the sideline stat gazing.

 

I’m going to be cheering them on to make the playoffs, and if they don’t oh well it’s been a succesful year regardless. Enjoy your defeatist gloom though, in the hopes of maybe moving up a few picks in the draft, that’ll be franchise changing, lol

If they all lose in OT it will take the Canucks winning twice as many games in a row as the games they have in hand to be even with them.

 

This is not defeatist gloom, it is a reality check.

The worst team in the league this year has 15 W, four less than the Canucks, only 4 less wins and those teams have up to 5 games in hand.

This team is not even close to being ready for a playoff run, Edler gets hurt, Tanev, Horvat and then what? The ref's put the whistles away and our pygmies can't check but can get lots of stick infractions and holding calls.

And yes it is a successful year just because the have another single draft pick playing, one a year and the projection is for a 27th spot finish, still.

 

As bad as Edmonton has been lately they are still making moves to improve and they are not so far out of a playoff spot, if they win 3 games in hand they move ahead of Anaheim, Dallas, Vancouver and are only 2 & 3 pts out of 2nd in the division.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TheGuardian_ said:

12 points back is not the insurmountable impossibility you make it out to be with more than 1/2 the season still to go

The Nucks could win every game in January, all nine of them and if the other all the other teams ALL lose every game and they go to OT, then the Canucks will still be behind them. That is the joy of the loser point, they can lose every game in OT and be a .500 team without winning.

When going for a playoff spot it is not just a team they are chasing, it is maybe 6 teams they have to chase down, these games in hand that other have are Canuck killers.

 

The Canucks have a great January schedule, only 9 games so lots of practice and recovery time, more than just about every other team s they should have a winning percentage that month. It is an easy month.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...