The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] David Backes suspended 3 games

"While Backes does graze Coleman's shoulder on his way to making contact with Coleman's head, the brunt of the impact on this hit is delivered to Coleman's head."

Hmm. I guess the rules have changed in the last few weeks.

7 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

"While Backes does graze Coleman's shoulder on his way to making contact with Coleman's head, the brunt of the impact on this hit is delivered to Coleman's head."

He comes from the front too.  Still has me wondering why the guy who clipped Stecher in the head, from the blind side, got nothing?

12 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Lol was coming here to say just that.

This was going to be a completely clean hit until the follow through from coleman on the clearing attempt rotated his shoulder out from the direct path of where Backes was aiming. 

They need to clarify the rules. Because it seems that some guys can take your head off but because the wind ruffled the jersey on  the shoulder area on the way past to the head it was a shoulder contact first and not an illegal check to the head.. no suspension. Others can drive right through the shoulder and the helmet pops off and its a suspension. 

( yes I am exaggerating slightly )

I am sorry but this hit is a pure hockey play. Keep this in the game. 

1 hour ago, MikeyBoy44 said:

Jesus. What the &^@# is actually going on with dops $&!#. This was a good hit. I just don't even know anymore. 

3 games and the guy he hit finishes the game. Martel gets 0 games for actually injuring a player. &^@#ing wild

Some of you guys are out to lunch. Clean hit? :picard:

Backes didn't hit him in the shoulder at all -  pretty much nothing but head. Not at all like the Martel hit, which was at significantly less speed, and got mostly shoulder. If you can't see the difference, try removing your Homer glasses.

It couldn't have been easier to see where Coleman's center of gravity was, he was standing on one friggin leg. Backes could have absolutely blown him up by hitting him where that leg was, and it be 100% clean. Instead he resorted to a cheap fly-by to the head, at a high velocity.

Coleman was lucky that more damage wasn't done. Good on the DOPS for suspending the action, even though the victim wasn't seriously hurt this time.

3 hours ago, D-Money said:

Backes didn't hit him in the shoulder at all -  pretty much nothing but head. Not at all like the Martel hit, which was at significantly less speed, and got mostly shoulder. If you can't see the difference, try removing your Homer glasses.

It couldn't have been easier to see where Coleman's center of gravity was, he was standing on one friggin leg. Backes could have absolutely blown him up by hitting him where that leg was, and it be 100% clean. Instead he resorted to a cheap fly-by to the head, at a high velocity.

Coleman was lucky that more damage wasn't done. Good on the DOPS for suspending the action, even though the victim wasn't seriously hurt this time.

Not quite seeing this as mostly shoulder.  Blind side mostly head.  Unsuspecting player unable to prepare or protect himself.  

4 hours ago, D-Money said:

As i was saying it was going to be a completely clean hit but his follow through after clearing the puck dropped his shoulder opening his head up to contact.

Backes had to cut left to make the hit as i think he expected Coleman to be a little further out instead of clearing the puck right away. This was a split second in timing. DOPS states the Coleman didnt change his positioning immediately prior to the hit.  but the fact he was in follow through after shooting the puck negates that claim.

He clipped shoulder and the guys head was there this was a nice hit. Not perfectly clean because he did get the head but as far as comparison's in the past this is a non suspension.

4 hours ago, Borvat said:

Not quite seeing this as mostly shoulder.  Blind side mostly head.  Unsuspecting player unable to prepare or protect himself.  

That was directly into Stecher’s shoulder, the problem was Troy was spinning, so his head also spun into the hit. Even then, it was at far less speed than Backes’ hit. And “blindside” is no longer a consideration at all.

The thing I didn’t like about Martel’s hit is how he put his shoulder/arm up. Thought he probably deserved a game, but understood why DOPS said no. Not even close to what Backes did.

Archived