The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Leafs acquire Hutchinson from FLA

NucksCelts

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Andersen is day-to-day with a groin injury.  

Hutchinson is likely a better backup option than Kasimir Kaskisuo who they just recalled on emergency basis.

good deal for both sides, a temporary emergency backup for a 2020 5th, not too steep of a price given that there were probably very few teams who had guys both good enough to trade for and bad enough not to care about in a month. 

5 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Hey Jimbo, see this AHL G get a 5th, I hope you can at WORST get the same for Nilsson at the TDL. Time for Demko to get some NHL games in the new year imo. That way he can train extra hard in the off season after getting a taste of the NHL 

Maybe, but if Utica is fighting for the playoffs, I'd rather Demko lead the way down there. 

6 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

So they waive McElhinney and then later trade a pick for Hutchinson ?  Oh man, the shrieks of "ASSET MANAGEMENT"! that would be heard if the Canucks did that.

They could only protect Andersen plus 1 ! Sparks, McElhinney and Pickard. Chances were good that they were losing 2 goalies to waivers no matter who they protected !

4 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

They could only protect Andersen plus 1 ! Sparks, McElhinney and Pickard. Chances were good that they were losing 2 goalies to waivers no matter who they protected !

You guys are both right.  The Leafs had little choice but to waive a goalie, but if the Canucks were in a similar spot people would've been out for blood over the 5th and talk of "Dim Jim" would've gone on ad nausiem.

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

You guys are both right.  The Leafs had little choice but to waive a goalie, but if the Canucks were in a similar spot people would've been out for blood over the 5th and talk of "Dim Jim" would've gone on ad nausiem.

Yes, a trade might have been possible for one of the three. I think that TML were hoping to lose only one. Marlies became very weak, very quickly !

9 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Oh, I wasn't criticizing the move just how some Canucks fans would react if it was done here.

Just now, SingleThorn said:

Yes, a trade might have been possible for one of the three. I think that TML were hoping to lose only one. Marlies became very weak, very quickly !

Teams had a lot of options at the start of the season so there wouldn't have been much leverage to trade a goalie for anything other than someone else's unwanted contract.  If the preference is to not want to take the contract on, it's easier to simply put on waivers.

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Hey Jimbo, see this AHL G get a 5th, I hope you can at WORST get the same for Nilsson at the TDL.

It doesn't work like that.

Goaltending market is entirely dependent/contingent = timing, injuries/need.

ie: ermagerd, the Leafs coulda just claimed Hutchinson on waivers!  Now they're giving up a pick for him?   #asset-management.    Does not compute in the real world.

Part of what makes Hutchinson worth a pick is having cleared waivers.   And he's not simply an "AHL G" - he's 'proven' to be a capable NHL backup in Wpg.

The Leafs can utilize him as a backup for up to 10 games/30 days - and be able to assign him (without waivers) to the Marlies in the event of another injury - and have an experienced backup available at the AHL level.   A goaltender that had not cleared - would mean waiving Sparks or that guy.

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Hey Jimbo, see this AHL G get a 5th, I hope you can at WORST get the same for Nilsson at the TDL. Time for Demko to get some NHL games in the new year imo. That way he can train extra hard in the off season after getting a taste of the NHL 

This sort of antagonist belly aching is what I hate most about Canucks fans. 

Hey @Canuckster86 your last post sucked I hope your next post is better than @oldnews last post. 

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Trade] Leafs acquire Hutchinson from FLA
55 minutes ago, oldnews said:

It doesn't work like that.

Goaltending market is entirely dependent/contingent = timing, injuries/need.

ie: ermagerd, the Leafs coulda just claimed Hutchinson on waivers!  Now they're giving up a pick for him?   #asset-management.    Does not compute in the real world.

Part of what makes Hutchinson worth a pick is having cleared waivers.   And he's not simply an "AHL G" - he's 'proven' to be a capable NHL backup in Wpg.

The Leafs can utilize him as a backup for up to 10 games/30 days - and be able to assign him (without waivers) to the Marlies in the event of another injury - and have an experienced backup available at the AHL level.   A goaltender that had not cleared - would mean waiving Sparks or that guy.

You should save this post under "Goalie in AHL gets traded for pick". Then in future threads you can just change up the names. #efficiency :P

2 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

Yep.

And actually the right "asset management" move was keeping Garrett Sparks because of the 3 goalies, he was the youngest with the most future potential. 

Pickard is an average/below average NHL goalie. He'd been waived before by Vegas and was the puckstopper for an abysmal Aves team.

And McElhinney, though having the best season of the 3, was not only the oldest but before this season was a above average career backup that's over 35. Sure he's good now but his run isn't sustainable.

Sparks is a good fit as the Maple Leafs back up and if he develops well into the NHL (as he has developed in the AHL). Leafs could have a piece they can move later. The real test for him is how he handles the starts for Toronto in Andersen's absence.

Hutchinson is a good third string goalie. He should do well in Toronto this season.

Bigger question is where Nilsson will land because the Canucks have to move him. With Florida moving on from Hutchinson, I wonder if Nilsson could be a fit especially if Luongo gets injured again.

Archived