The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Buyers or Sellers trade deadline

mikeyman109

Ok Its a bit early and assuming a few things but the way things are going we may be close to the playoff race come trade deadline. If we are in a playoff position come deadline day are we buying or selling? What might we need to compete with the top teams. We just finished 8 out of 11 games with wins. We played Winnipeg to a standstill and probably deserved a win or at least a point there. We beat Calgary in their barn, We beat Nashville and the team is starting to get healthy again. When we are healthy it appears we can play with most teams. Are we competitive enough to play in the playoffs yet? What if anything would you want to see them add?

Now having started the discussion I would say we dont want to give up any draft pics but if we could upgrade at RHD with a player that fits us long term we should have a look. Otherwise i say we dont give up draft picks for this season. We could easily become the next Edmonton where we have some success and think we have solved all our troubles only to crash and burn the next season. Keep the rebuild going. Add pieces through the draft. Dont rush trying to jump ahead in the program. Patience is still key in my opinion. I am curious to see how CDC sees this.

6 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

Ok Its a bit early and assuming a few things but the way things are going we may be close to the playoff race come trade deadline. If we are in a playoff position come deadline day are we buying or selling? What might we need to compete with the top teams. We just finished 8 out of 11 games with wins. We played Winnipeg to a standstill and probably deserved a win or at least a point there. We beat Calgary in their barn, We beat Nashville and the team is starting to get healthy again. When we are healthy it appears we can play with most teams. Are we competitive enough to play in the playoffs yet? What if anything would you want to see them add?

Now having started the discussion I would say we dont want to give up any draft pics but if we could upgrade at RHD with a player that fits us long term we should have a look. Otherwise i say we dont give up draft picks for this season. We could easily become the next Edmonton where we have some success and think we have solved all our troubles only to crash and burn the next season. Keep the rebuild going. Add pieces through the draft. Dont rush trying to jump ahead in the program. Patience is still key in my opinion. I am curious to see how CDC sees this.

Neither, they stand pat

2 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

We can compete with the top teams in a one off, but not in a 7 game series. At least not this season. 

Sell, or at least don't buy. 

How do you know that?  I'd say they play pretty consistently, when healthy, game in and game out.

If they stay healthy, I could see them ending up with a divisional playoff spot rather than a wildcard.......and they already play a playoff style of game.

I think we will stand pat this year as we will either be really close to a playoff spot at the trade deadline or we will already have a position.  I don't see Benning trading any youngsters or picks at all in the near future as he is a master drafter.  If you are one or two players away from contending then those pieces can always be acquired via free agency.

I like Zack MacEwen a lot.  I can see him getting called up for a playoff run as a bog body that can hit and play a hard nosed game.  He could be a very good playoff performer for our future.  As well, Quinn Hughes could be available for a playoff run.  I'd like to see an addition of a RHD but we don't really have one in the system that can play right now.  If somehow we can get Tryamkin back before the playoffs that would be icing on the cake as he can play the right side and is big mobile body, perfect for the playoffs.  But I am not sure how his contract works and if he would even be available.  I'm assuming we'd have to buy him out, maybe that is possible if his season is over by April.

I want to see what happens with a healthy roster. They were doing well in the beginning of the year before the injury bug got them and now everyone is getting healthy again so not too many changes are needed. I don't want to lose any draft picks so no buying and with the high prices for anyone out there, it's not worth getting into a bidding war with playoff contenders. Plus, losing in the playoffs when you are young will make the team gel stronger into the future and if they do exceed expectations, it will make the Pettersson legend that much bigger.

Neither. A playoff run would be nice for the group but we aren’t going to make any real noise in the postseason this year. This team still has a lot of growing to do so you don’t trade future success for a pipedream of a second round exit.

Wasn't a fan with the Vanek for Motte an Jokinen deal at the time that it was made.  But the long term has yielded good results from Tyler Motte.  Heck even Jussi Jokinen was good for us in that short stint last season.  This is the kind of deal JB needs to be exploring again this season. 

To sell guys like Edler, Tanev, Del Zotto, Sutter, Nilsson, Gagner but still get young pieces with a small piece to help immediately too would be ideal.  Allowing us to reap rewards of future thinking prospects/players but still have an immediacy piece.

I do believe in some way the Canucks do need to start thinking of capitalizing while Boeser and Petey and Bo are still young and start pushing for some playoff experience, but not at the expense of wasting away assets and the future. 

They should not trade one draft pick, everything happening right now is all gravy.  The only roster additions i hope they make is adding Hughes at the end of his NCAA year and giving big Mac in Utica a shot.

That said - what to do with Tanev?  He has been playing excellent vs the opponents best players.  Do you trade him this year? Or take the risk that he will walk at UFA time in one year?  I predict they sign Edler and move Tanev in the future, you will need one of those guys around to stabilize the D.

Stay the course. If we make the playoffs then that is a huge cherry on top of an already successful season, imo. 

Our team is much, much better than many people think. Last year we were in a playoff spot before all the injuries, and injuries have so far kept us out of a spot again, yet we are still right there in the hunt. As our guys get healthy and start to gel further, let's see what they can do before buying or selling, m'kay.

44 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Both.

I would bet some guys are moved at positions we have redundancy maybe even Sutter/Edler but doubt it. Most likely a couple of Granlund, Goldobin, MDZ, Pouliot, traded for futures.

I would imagine some assets are traded for a top 6 LW with size or a top 4 RHD. 

If we bring in a RHD we must loose one of Edler or Tanev

24 minutes ago, Darius said:

They should not trade one draft pick, everything happening right now is all gravy.  The only roster additions i hope they make is adding Hughes at the end of his NCAA year and giving big Mac in Utica a shot.

That said - what to do with Tanev?  He has been playing excellent vs the opponents best players.  Do you trade him this year? Or take the risk that he will walk at UFA time in one year?  I predict they sign Edler and move Tanev in the future, you will need one of those guys around to stabilize the D.

One of the two must go.........soon

Archived