The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Panthers trade Alex Petrovic to Oilers for Chris Wideman, conditional 3rd-round pick

1 minute ago, Baer. said:

This sets the benchmark price for a defenseman. He has 1 single point this season and he garners a 3rd+

Edler and Tanev are going to have high price tags with the D market looking bare this TDL.

The Canucks are going to make a playoff run so I doubt Edler and Tanev are going anywhere...

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The Canucks are going to make a playoff run so I doubt Edler and Tanev are going anywhere...

I doubt Benning is focusing his management plans on one, early in the rebuild, bubble playoff team, run. He wants to build a long term contender.

If Edler's willing to waive and teams are willing to pay full value,  we move him and aim to re-sign him this summer.

Tanev we wait and see. We can also move him next TDL so no hurry if the return isn't there and we prefer to retain his veteran presence this spring.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I doubt Benning is focusing his management plans on one, early in the rebuild, bubble playoff team, run. He wants to build a long term contender.

If Edler's willing to waive and teams are willing to pay full value,  we move him and aim to re-sign him this summer.

Tanev we wait and see. We can also move him next TDL so no hurry if the return isn't there and we prefer to retain his veteran presence this spring.

Benning doesn't own the team, Francesco Aquilini does.  If we are going to make the playoffs then Edler and Tanev aren't going anywhere.  If you think they are getting traded for draft picks when potentially millions of dollars are at stake in a playoff run then you are kidding yourself and don't know Aquilini that well...

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Benning doesn't own the team, Francesco Aquilini does.  If we are going to make the playoffs then Edler and Tanev aren't going anywhere.  If you think they are getting traded for draft picks when potentially millions of dollars are at stake in a playoff run then you are kidding yourself and don't know Aquilini that well...

Aqualini wants +/- 8 years of consistent, long playoff/cup runs not one short sighted, premature, bubble hope of one.

He's already saved any playoff money he would have made this year by being $12m+ under the cap. 

So, Chia has traded away his 2nd and 3rd round picks in next years draft for spare parts. They have very few good prospects in their system now and it doesn't look like help will be coming soon. Edmonton fans claim they only have 3 NHL forwards on the team....how is that going to be remedied without draft picks and tradeable pieces?

17 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

But Canucks aren't in a playoff spot and some teams like Edmonton, Minnesota, Dallas and Anaheim all have games in hand over the Canucks. Edler is a pending UFA. I'd rather get a first round pick for Edler than lose in the first round to Winnipeg or Calgary and get nothing for him.

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Does anyone know Aquilini that well? It’s a fair assumption that the investor would like to maximize the financial return on his investment but he’s demonstrated a willingness to make short term sacrifices. Everyone in the league knew that Loui Eriksson wasn’t earning us a playoff spot but he still paid the man.

The Linden-Ownership fiasco hasn’t helped his public image but for all we know with the information released, that could have been about the craft beer selection at Rogers Arena. It’s about time that Canuck fans took a look around at the Melnyk’s of the hockey world and considered how fortunate we are to have such stable, dependable ownership. Aquilini may occasionally interject into various team proceedings but I’m yet to meet an investor who has ZERO interest in the quality of his investment. Accountability starts from the top down so I have no problem with ownership always wanting this team to perform to it’s highest potential, both now and in the future.

21 minutes ago, Baer. said:

This sets the benchmark price for a defenseman. He has 1 single point this season and he garners a 3rd+

Edler and Tanev are going to have high price tags with the D market looking bare this TDL.

I wouldn't be setting the benchmark using the Oilers as an example. Do you think either of these trades set a benchmark?

Edmonton Oilers acquire Date New York Islanders acquire
Edmonton_Oilers.gif Griffin Reinhart
June 26, 2015
2015 1st round pick
2015 2nd round pick 
New_York_Islanders.gif

New Jersey Devils acquire Date Edmonton Oilers acquire
New_Jersey_Devils.gif Taylor Hall
June 29, 2016
Adam Larsson Edmonton_Oilers.gif

Archived