The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Edmonton acquires D Brandon Manning and D Robin Norell from Chicago inexchange for F Drake Caggiula and D Jason Garrison

Odd.

Tampa got one really good year out of Garrison , it looked like a bad trade for Vancouver at first. 

He has gone downhill bad though, I really don’t think he is anywhere near an NHL caliber defenceman anymore. It might have something to do with the evolution of the game, the big point shot is a thing of the past and he’s slow.

7 hours ago, oldnews said:

Were you one of the guys forecasting this team getting crushed by Edmonton forever into the forseeable future not that long ago?

Not necessarily the most convincing series of events here - relative to the lottery pick additions of recent years that had some people quaking in their boots at the inevitable dynasty forming in Edmonton.

Anyhow - people here aren't compelled to like the Edmonton Oilers - a division rival.  Let them have their fun while they can.

If they want some fodder for that:

Edmonton just acquired a defenseman that was 9th among the Blackhawks in ice time / game this year, 8th in D scoring, the worst +/- on that team (-14) with the highest on-ice goals against on the Hawks bluleine at 4.3 goals per 60 to go with being 9th among Hawks D in on-ice goals for per 60 (1.8, for a margin of -2.5 goals per 60).

And they moved one of their "top 6" LW for him.

Albeit a 'top 6' on a team that is lead by a guy with 13 pts.   And in fairness to Manning, he was a 39.9% ozone start D in Chicago, while only Dahlstrom and Murphy were lower) - so those numbers above should be kept in the context of a shutdown role....but that's beside the point lol.

You know as well as I do that the Coilers could turn on a dime a start living up to expectations.

It’s fun to rip on a rival, but I don’t pretend not to be feeling uneasy about their efforts to fix thier mess. 

And yes, I was one of those silly hockey people who forecasterd the young Coilers to be a President’s Trophy team. It’s good to be wrong sometimes. 

13 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

You know as well as I do that the Coilers could turn on a dime a start living up to expectations.

It’s fun to rip on a rival, but I don’t pretend not to be feeling uneasy about their efforts to fix thier mess. 

And yes, I was one of those silly hockey people who forecasterd the young Coilers to be a President’s Trophy team. It’s good to be wrong sometimes.

I'm not to worried about that being a dime - perhaps a quarter haha.  They're still just not a very well built team - with some glaring weaknesses.    They have a weak shutdown bottom six - to say the least - and have guys like Lucic stuffed into a laughable misfit role there.   They also have a left side of their forward group that is lead by a guy with 13 pts, followed by a couple guys with 7 points (and we're not talking players that haven't played here) and an AHL tweener.   They have plenty of work left to do - let alone are expecting a coach - albeit a good one, to turn around an underachieving train wreck mid course. 

I'm happy to see them try to fix their mess.  Their incompetence is the one thing that really makes me dislike that team.  And I actually hope they're successful - don't really care about the division rival aspect of this - when push comes to shove I want to see Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg thriving relative to clown markets that never should have been entertained in the US.

But I'm not going to quake at the sight of adding players like Petrovic and Manning, despite considering those to be generally good moves. 

When I'll really start feeling uneasy is when they make the more  necessary moves - and I'm not referring to improving their ability to shut opponents down, produce at LW, or better enable their talented young top 6 players - but am referring to the head office/management levels where they always manage to trickle down patronage and incompetence.

• 1 month later...

Archived