The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Resources for learning computer science/programming online/general advice for someone looking to pursue it?

Master 112

Hey friends,

This is a weird place to ask, but I'm interested in picking up a skill and decided to throw a wide net. I've done some programming in the past (with the help of someone, I made a working lock using a raspberry pi...), but I've nothing in the way of formal learning/training and only a rudimentary understanding of programming laws and principles.

Does anyone with some experience working with computers/writing code have any advice for someone who's just starting out and is seriously considering going to school for comp sci? What are some good places to learn or free courses to take at the introductory level that are available online? Textbooks, pamphlets, haikus?

I'm not sure where I'd ultimately like to end up, but creating apps is an interest of mine. The absolute dream is to become self-employed with programming talents. Really, any advice or insight is appreciated.

your humble servant,

I know a few people who tried some courses with lighthouselabs, hackeryou and Lynda.com. 

Maybe try some their free courses online and see if they interest you, not sure how via the boot camp approach is vs comp sci degree though which would prob have more theory and algorithms.

1 hour ago, 112 said:

Hey friends,

This is a weird place to ask, but I'm interested in picking up a skill and decided to throw a wide net. I've done some programming in the past (with the help of someone, I made a working lock using a raspberry pi...), but I've nothing in the way of formal learning/training and only a rudimentary understanding of programming laws and principles.

Does anyone with some experience working with computers/writing code have any advice for someone who's just starting out and is seriously considering going to school for comp sci? What are some good places to learn or free courses to take at the introductory level that are available online? Textbooks, pamphlets, haikus?

I'm not sure where I'd ultimately like to end up, but creating apps is an interest of mine. The absolute dream is to become self-employed with programming talents. Really, any advice or insight is appreciated.

your humble servant,

Give this a go: https://github.com/llSourcell/Learn_Computer_Science_in_5_Months

Weirdly enough, I knew a guy who was a master of Minecraft mods who taught some coding through a Minecraft mod that introduced coding. I never bothered enough to seriously learn, but I reckon I could have learned the basics of that language from him through those videos if I had wanted.

Also, consider where a lot of this industry is going. They don't tell you where computer networking is going when you are in school because they don't want to crush your dreams before you've barely begun, or maybe these old dinosaurs don't have a clue, but it often is going to a guy in Mexico or India for a third or less of what they would otherwise pay you. Cisco and Sonicwall do this all the time. Most of the time these are jobs you don't need to be on site for and can do it from your sofa and softwaring is no exception obviously. Software programming does get outsourced, but not quite like IT, networking, etc. So do consider these things if you think you are going forward with this.. 

26 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Also, consider where a lot of this industry is going. They don't tell you where computer networking is going when you are in school because they don't want to crush your dreams before you've barely begun, or maybe these old dinosaurs don't have a clue, but it often is going to a guy in Mexico or India for a third or less of what they would otherwise pay you. Cisco and Sonicwall do this all the time. Most of the time these are jobs you don't need to be on site for and can do it from your sofa and softwaring is no exception obviously. Software programming does get outsourced, but not quite like IT, networking, etc. So do consider these things if you think you are going forward with this.. 

Can confirm. In this day and age of highly available, redundant fiber links, remote BIOS management of physical servers, and damn near everything becoming virtualized/run on public cloud, networking is showing an incredibly large divide. It's either very nuanced boutique agencies that deal in B2B with small to medium sized businesses who require a more personal touch, or it's large scale outsourced work to India/Phillipines/etc.

If you decide to do anything in terms of a degree, look into AI, machine learning, automation, quantum computing (requires understanding and likely a degree in physics and advanced mathematics), etc.

Basically if you need to ask if you should do it or not, chances are you probably shouldn't invest a ton of money into it. Be self sufficient and self taught, lean toward programming and application development. Even those jobs are becoming more and more outsourced, but if you can get in with a good local company you can work toward landing a gig with a big corporate player like Microsoft, Salesforce, Amazon, Oracle, etc.

Archived