The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

18 year old Sam Bennetts hit on Simek

spook007

Just watched Bennetts late hit on Sharks Simek, and it made me think back to Romes hit on ‘fanchise forward’ Horton 8 years ago... 

So if Rome got 4 games for that hit During the SC final, how much should Bennett get?

Not that I care much for any of them, but would be interesting for consistency issues, and how much Canucks really got screwed by the NHL. 

Looks to be clean, but late. I could see this going either way. Depends on whether or not the DOPS deems the lateness to be a big factor or not.

It's honestly only a little bit late, but so was the Rome hit IMO. I'd deem this to be no more than a 2 minute interference penalty at worst, which is tough to say because I really don't like Bennett.

EDIT: Thanks @mll for informing me that it's already been confirmed that there won't be a hearing.

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Looks to be clean, but late. I could see this going either way. Depends on whether or not the DOPS deems the lateness to be a big factor or not.

It's honestly only a little bit late, but so was the Rome hit IMO. I'd deem this to be no more than a 2 minute interference penalty at worst, which is tough to say because I really don't like Bennett.

It's already been decided that there will be no supplementary discipline - no hearing.  He wasn't penalised for the hit either.  

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Just watched Bennetts late hit on Sharks Simek, and it made me think back to Romes hit on ‘fanchise forward’ Horton 8 years ago... 

So if Rome got 4 games for that hit During the SC final, how much should Bennett get?

Not that I care much for any of them, but would be interesting for consistency issues, and how much Canucks really got screwed by the NHL. 

nothing can be compared to the officiating of the Stanley cup finals in 2011.

obviously something wasn't right with the officiating of that series.  Non Canuck fans on hfboards.com (trash forum again) talking about Neutral fans saying that if they officials 
"did their jobs" Vancouver would have easily won due to Boston getting away with so many things, normal playoffs series teams wouldn't have. 

that was also the same year, Colin Campbell decided to step down at the start as the Vice President of hockey operations at the start of the finals, the finals his very son was playing in, and replaced with I believe Larry Murphy in a temp role.   At this point Larry Murphy didn't know jack crap and he hated the Vancouver Canucks anyways.

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Bennett has reinvented himself as a cheap shot artist.

38 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

Gutless in an 8-5 game

Bennett trying to cement himself as a career Flame, to avoid the bust label at least in his town.

Of course there's nothing going to happen, yet just as "late" and far more intentional and "predatory" than Rome's hit ever was, let alone Virtanen's.  Rome stepped up on a guy coming through the neutral zone on the attack to his blueline; Bennett was out for blood and intentionally went after this guy who was in his own zone.

14 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Bennett has plateaued to getting 26 points and is on pace again for 26 points. 

The only thing increasing on his stats is his hits. 

I think it's safe to move on from his rookie season, and start to wonder was that an anomaly or is it the team he's on? 

Lol, soon we can call him 26 point Bennett if he ever ages.

42 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

....Aaron Rome got 4 for his late hit??? Bennett took two strides after Simek got rid of the puck. In Rome's hit, the DPOS were looking at milliseconds.

That was my point. 

I couldn’t care less if Bennett had decapitated Simek, or if Bennett should pick his nuts up on the way out after being speared, but I thought there was a huge resemblance between this and the Rome hit.....

i sincerely makes me doubt Van city will ever be ‘allowed’ the holy grail...

another point being if late hits like this becomes ‘legal’ again, I think we will see serious injuries again. No hearing for a late hit? Petey better keep his head up in the future, cause it seems like its now open season for predatory hits. 

Archived