The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias - The Brain - Pettersson

nlife

Had a good laugh at the commentary about the players calling Pettersson "The Brain" because of his hockey smarts. I don't doubt his hockey IQ, but I have a feeling that the his teammates are referring to the cartoon Pinky & the Brain.

elias-pettersson-2019-39.jpg

p464334_b_v8_ai.jpg

I thought they called him The Alien because of his long neck? 

Jokes aside, it's so exciting every time Pettersson has a big game. The guy is definitely at the McDavid/Crosby/Matthews level. I'm happy we *finally* have our own legitimate #1 superstar player. Now we just need to keep him healthy...

1 minute ago, Matt_T83 said:

I thought they called him The Alien because of his long neck? 

Jokes aside, it's so exciting every time Pettersson has a big game. The guy is definitely at the McDavid/Crosby/Matthews level. I'm happy we *finally* have our own legitimate #1 superstar player. Now we just need to keep him healthy...

I'm not so sure about those two. He definitely has the potential to be a comparable to Matthews, though.

Anyway, The Brain >>> The Alien

3 minutes ago, 112 said:

I'm not so sure about those two. He definitely has the potential to be a comparable to Matthews, though.

Anyway, The Brain >>> The Alien

He's actually pacing faster than Crosby (Pointswise) than Crosby was during Crosbys rookies season. (At least thats what I heard)

If we start making the playoffs this year I pray we are able to nail some later draft picks. There are still a lot of holes on this team and I don't want to turn into the Minnesota Wild. 

God what a talent Elias is. No other player would have me question my allegiance to Team Tank. 

5 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

If we start making the playoffs this year I pray we are able to nail some later draft picks. There are still a lot of holes on this team and I don't want to turn into the Minnesota Wild. 

God what a talent Elias is. No other player would have me question my allegiance to Team Tank. 

I actually don't think we are far off. We've ran with the best teams in the league this year (when healthy) Gaudette has shown he's a capable NHLer already and will continue to get better and will play a key role in 2 years when we contend. We need upgrade on defense but we also know it's coming with Hughes and Juolevi. (and maybe Tryamkin) this gives us a top 6 to choose between edler, tanev, Gudbranson, hutton, Stecher, Hughes, juolevi, Tryamkin. 

We needed Demko to develop and be ready but with the emergence of Markstrom's strong play, we're also covered in net. 

Virtanen is coming along nicely along with the rest of the youth. 

The youth (Horvat, Boeser, Petey) will continue to improve. 

I think the pieces we have in place (including the ones that arent currently in the Nhl) are good enough to have us contend in 2 years and we just need to give them time to develop. 

Ofcourse, finding a Boeser type player in the mid first round this year will heavily improve our chance to win it all but realistically, this draft eill prob be the last one that can make. An impact in 2 years time and thats still a tough odd for a draft pick to bexome impactful in 2 years

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I actually don't think we are far off. We've ran with the best teams in the league this year (when healthy) Gaudette has shown he's a capable NHLer already and will continue to get better and will play a key role in 2 years when we contend. We need upgrade on defense but we also know it's coming with Hughes and Juolevi. (and maybe Tryamkin) this gives us a top 6 to choose between edler, tanev, Gudbranson, hutton, Stecher, Hughes, juolevi, Tryamkin. 

We needed Demko to develop and be ready but with the emergence of Markstrom's strong play, we're also covered in net. 

Virtanen is coming along nicely along with the rest of the youth. 

The youth (Horvat, Boeser, Petey) will continue to improve. 

I think the pieces we have in place (including the ones that arent currently in the Nhl) are good enough to have us contend in 2 years and we just need to give them time to develop. 

Ofcourse, finding a Boeser type player in the mid first round this year will heavily improve our chance to win it all but realistically, this draft eill prob be the last one that can make. An impact in 2 years time and thats still a tough odd for a draft pick to bexome impactful in 2 years

My biggest fear is our lack of back end depth.

Edler and Tanev for me are essentially stop gaps, when this team hits Cup contender status they will be over the hill and not part of the equation anymore.

Juolevi while not a bust yet has had some serious set backs in what should be his biggest development years. It's really tough to say what he'll turn into anymore.

That leaves Hughes, Stecher, Hutton and Gudbranson. That top four doesn't exactly have me jumping for joy.

9 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Edler and Tanev for me are essentially stop gaps, when this team hits Cup contender status they will be over the hill and not part of the equation anymore.

Juolevi while not a bust yet has had some serious set backs in what should be his biggest development years. It's really tough to say what he'll turn into anymore.

That leaves Hughes, Stecher, Hutton and Gudbranson. That top four doesn't exactly have me jumping for joy.

I understand your concern  but Tanev's style of play is one that wont deteriorate like the late Sedin years. Also he just turned 29 like 2 weeks ago. That means in the 20-21 season, Tanev will only be 30 when the season starts. That should still be a solid top 4 d-man. 

Edler, im not so sure. He looks great this year (even better than last year) who knows what he'll look like in 2 years. 

Also, one. UFA signing like a Hamhuis type deal can entirely change the look of our top 6

Elias is a superstar, and may eventually become the best player in the league... but right now there are probably several who are better right now.

And people need to remember, he is 20 years old as a rookie... Crosby, Gretzky, McDavid, etc. were 18 year olds coming into the league.

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

I understand your concern  but Tanev's style of play is one that wont deteriorate like the late Sedin years. Also he just turned 29 like 2 weeks ago. That means in the 20-21 season, Tanev will only be 30 when the season starts. That should still be a solid top 4 d-man. 

Edler, im not so sure. He looks great this year (even better than last year) who knows what he'll look like in 2 years. 

Also, one. UFA signing like a Hamhuis type deal can entirely change the look of our top 6

When you look at the Sedin’s later years regarding their production, man games missed and style of play, they performed reasonably well.

On the contrary, Tanev’s games missed have been a concern for years so I  have my doubts about writing his name in stone as a player with great longevity as a top 4 defenseman.

2 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Dont forget about Jett Woo

56 minutes ago, Maginator said:

Dont forget about Jett Woo

I try not to pencil prospects into the lineup until they've had some substantial accomplishments to merit it. Juolevi and Hughes have the draft pedigree that allows me to pretend they'll hit their potential. Woo is still a wildcard till we see him in the AHL/NHL. 

8 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Elias is a superstar, and may eventually become the best player in the league... but right now there are probably several who are better right now.

And people need to remember, he is 20 years old as a rookie... Crosby, Gretzky, McDavid, etc. were 18 year olds coming into the league.

Not sure why we have to do this?

I think what separates Petey is his ability to do everything.  That his game is jaw dropping and not just one dimensional.  He's been the NHL star of the week more than once and you'd be hard pressed to find many who'd argued he's not at least one of the best, if not "the" right now.  No denying it,  not sure why we'd even feel the need to.  Great players make those around them great and he certainly is helping elevate others' games.

"The best" means you've hit your target...Petey's always shooting for more and beyond that.  He doesn't get caught up with comparisons so I won't either.  "Is this about him or them?"

I try not to pencil prospects into the lineup until they've had some substantial accomplishments to merit it. Juolevi and Hughes have the draft pedigree that allows me to pretend they'll hit their potential. Woo is still a wildcard till we see him in the AHL/NHL.

But team tank is penciling prospects in and counting on them to complete things when it's really all unknown how things will play out.

I mean, many didn't expect Pettersson to step in and do what he's doing from the onset.  So the x's and o's are all a bit of a gamble and unknown until it plays out.

Archived