The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Case of the Rat in Soup found in Vancouver Restaurant

DonLever

Must be slow news in Vancouver since this story has been running for the last few days in local media.

It all started when someone on social media posted a video of a rat found in soup in a Gastown restaurant.  The story ran like wild fire.

In the latest news, the restaurant owner say the whole thing is a hoax.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4808147/vancouver-rat-soup-bowl-latest/

The owner of Gastown’s Crab Park Chowdery says he has conducted a full investigation into the ongoing mystery of how a rodent ended up in a bowl of his restaurant’s soup, and he says he smells a rat.

Last week, a video was posted to Instagram appearing to show a rodent served in a bowl of the Chowdery’s soup.

Owner Ashton Phillips says he and his staff performed several tests with a rat-sized object to see if they could have somehow missed it. They said there was no way they could miss an object of that size, adding that it did not fit in the ladle or the bread bowl used to serve the soup.

Phillips says he has no disgruntled employees and all his staff members have been with him for at least two years.

He said he is 100 per cent confident the rodent could not have come from his establishment.

Phillips says the incident is looking more like a prank and is inviting everyone to come down and tour his eatery.

He also notes that Vancouver Coastal Health investigated the incident and did not close down the restaurant.

Over the weekend, a forensic video expert told Global News there is no sign the video posted to social media has been altered in any way, but because of its short length, it’s more difficult to speak to whether it was staged.

In a response to Global News, the person behind the Instagram account where the video was posted noted the health authority ordered the closure of a commissary kitchen at Mamie Taylor’s – the Vancouver eatery where the soup was made — after finding signs of a rodent infestation.

“What is the guarantee that the rat could not sneak up on site and end up in the soup?” the user asked.

when i saw that video i found it hard to believe someone could ladle soup into a bread bowl and not notice a mass that would take up most of the bowl.  

either the cook/server was completely out to lunch (or disgruntled?)or the person making that video is the culprit.

2 minutes ago, Darius said:

when i saw that video i found it hard to believe someone could ladle soup into a bread bowl and not notice a mass that would take up most of the bowl.  

either the cook/server was completely out to lunch (or disgruntled?)or the person making that video is the culprit.

maybe he thought it was bok choy or something

a big mushroom? 

i'd die if i got that...nightmare killer soup rat

3 minutes ago, Just1CupBeforeIDie said:

maybe he thought it was bok choy or something

a big mushroom? 

i'd die if i got that...nightmare killer soup rat

yup, i know how you feel.  just the thought of it makes me wanna yak.  but after looking at the video and seeing how clear that soup is the guy pouring the soup into the bread bowl would have to be not paying attention at all to miss that thing taking a dip into the bowl ...gross...

I feel for the owner of the place, parts of vancouver have rodent problems.  All it takes is one lapse or mistake and your life dream can be out the window along with hundreds of thousands of dollars.

3 minutes ago, Darius said:

yup, i know how you feel.  just the thought of it makes me wanna yak.  but after looking at the video and seeing how clear that soup is the guy pouring the soup into the bread bowl would have to be not paying attention at all to miss that thing taking a dip into the bowl ...gross...

I feel for the owner of the place, parts of vancouver have rodent problems.  All it takes is one lapse or mistake and your life dream can be out the window along with hundreds of thousands of dollars.

yeah i was just saying that, feel for the owner...cook couldve been making soup , had to go to the can suddenly , left lid off soup,  rat got in , cook comes back thinks its a clam...

8 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

I almost feel like the rat could have been planted. I mean, you pour soup (or chowder) with a ladle. How do you not notice it?

Unless it was deliberately planted. Of course the customer has a colossal burden of proof to overcome. Meanwhile the owner sounds like he is threatening legal action

9 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

I almost feel like the rat could have been planted. I mean, you pour soup (or chowder) with a ladle. How do you not notice it?

Anything is possible but...

A rat jumped/fell into the soup while it was cooking.

Or.

Someone caught a rat, pre-boiled it, snuck it into the restaurant, and dumped it in their soup bowl for an instagram video. 

Can't rule out #2, but rodents are a massive problem in Vancouver restaurants.

Archived