The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] If You Were Building an NHL Team from Scratch, How Many Players Would You Rank in Front of Elias in Terms of Franchise Players?

Phil_314

Simple question, if you're the GM of an NHL team and had the entire league's rosters as a pool to pick a guy to build your team around, where on your list would you have Pettersson, and who would he rank after?  Curious to see your lists and reasoning.  (Also, for this exercise you can ignore cap hit/ salary if you had that in mind, since you're not building the remainder of your hypothetical team).  Begin!!  

3 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Interesting, not a single defender in anyone's list besides Dahlin.  Not franchise guys like Hedman, Carlson or Karlsson??

i think they are too old to build a franchise around. with playesr 23 and under, you have about 10+ years of them in their prime

Uhhh... does this take age/timing into matter? If it does, the list is huge. If we are just talking about now, the current, then I will go with

Kucherov, Rantenen, McDavid, MacKinnon, Gaudreau, Pastrnak, P.Kane, Crosby, Ovechkin, Scheifele, Tavares, Mathews, Hedman

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

Simple question, if you're the GM of an NHL team and had the entire league's rosters as a pool to pick a guy to build your team around, where on your list would you have Pettersson, and who would he rank after?  Curious to see your lists and reasoning.  (Also, for this exercise you can ignore cap hit/ salary if you had that in mind, since you're not building the remainder of your hypothetical team).  Begin!!  

Crosby, Mcdavid. Pettersson is a #1 bonafide centre. Those are extremely hard to find. He makes everyone around him better and hasn't played with Boeser for at least 10 ish  games this season and still has managed to put up points. Not to mention two 5 point efforts. The kid is special. He will lead us to a cup. We will witness history with this kid. 

McDavid
Kucherov
Crosby
Karlsson
Mackinnon
Rantenen
Ovechkin
Gaudreau
Hedman
Matthews

I have Pettersson on par with Stammer as of now... he's not top 10 in the league, he has the ability to get there, but let's see if he does before we say he's the next one.

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

Interesting, not a single defender in anyone's list besides Dahlin.  Not franchise guys like Hedman, Carlson or Karlsson??

The only defender I would consider is Jones, maybe Dahlin.

Crosby and Malkin are still better, right now.

But at their age, would you ''build'' your team around them at their current age instead of Petey?

Ovechkin on the other hand is still an insanely awesome beast. Both a physical handful. And scoring goals like nobodies business.

MacKinnon

McDavid

Ovi

Matthews

Kucherov

Rantanen (?)

Pastrnak

Gaudreau

Bergeron

Point? 

Laine

Marchand

Pettersson

Crosby & Malkin

Josi

Eichel

Chabot > case could be made he should be higher?

Wheeler

Patrick Kane

Marner

Dahlin

Gibson

Barzal

Scheifele

Hedman

the SJ trio Burns, Pavelski, Karlsson

Draisaitl

Nyfuglien

Radulov

Rinne

Tavares

Kuznetsov

Barkov  

Stamkos

Backstrom higher?

Panarin

Tarasenko

Vasililevski

Boeser

Monahan

Getzlaf

Tyson Barrie

Skinner

Heskainen

I believe Pettersson will pass Gaudreau, Bergeron and Rantanen. But they are having absolutely awesome seasons. Same with Point. Marchand is just due to start being imjured with his play style? Kind of juggling who you build with. And who you win right now with...

All just my opinion. 

Archived