The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] If You Were Building an NHL Team from Scratch, How Many Players Would You Rank in Front of Elias in Terms of Franchise Players?

Phil_314

5 hours ago, Amebushi said:

Wow!  I want to walk without Elias too, but proclaiming him #1-2 in the league seems a little premature to me. He is an amazing talent and may get there(fingers and toes crossed) but I’m going to need a larger sample size before proclaiming him better than several players in the league right now. He has been injured twice (not his fault, but does factor in number of games played) goalies are still developing a book on him and I just don’t thing you can fairly make some of these comparisons yet. Last year Brock was the second coming of Bure, this year Petey is the next Gretzky and thank god (Petey) for Hughes next year. McDavid is definitely above him as are a number of other young more established players (McKinnon, Laine, Kucherov jump to mind as well as some LeafsI won’t mention). Have this discussion in a couple years and I hope it’s different but many players have sophomore slumps or worse. 

The way I did it was to think of which young players I’d want to build a core around, not who was established, which is pretty easy to do. If you’re building a team, I figure you’re not building a Stanley Cup all star roster, but you get to pick one player to start building ‘a team’ around. Pretty tough to pass of the obvious McJesus and whatnot because they are still young, which would be a bit of a strategy that way, no? 

Just curious, what does EP have to prove to you that he might be a top franchise centerman? 

4 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

The way I did it was to think of which young players I’d want to build a core around, not who was established, which is pretty easy to do. If you’re building a team, I figure you’re not building a Stanley Cup all star roster, but you get to pick one player to start building ‘a team’ around. Pretty tough to pass of the obvious McJesus and whatnot because they are still young, which would be a bit of a strategy that way, no? 

Just curious, what does EP have to prove to you that he might be a top franchise centerman? 

Can’t argue that logic. All he has to prove to me that he is a franchise centerman is to keep doing what he is doing. Always nervous about one good season.  I do believe he will pass most of not all others in the league in time, but I believe consistency counts for something. Not at all to say EP is inconsistent but that he hasn’t had time to prove it yet. Kinda like a credit rating...a teen that’s never missed a cell phone bill does not have the credit rating of a 22 year old with a credit card, cell phone and car payment. Just a personal opinion that he will get there but I wouldn’t pick him first when there are other young more proven stars. He would still be top five for me, but not 1-2 yet. 

On 1/2/2019 at 10:36 PM, shiznak said:

McDavid

MacKinnon

Scheifele

Marner

Rantanen

Eichel

Matthews

Kucherov

Pastrnak

If u called the GM for pastrnak kucherov marner scheifele and offered EP one for one the GM would think you're drunk amd would hang up on you.  

The Highlight Reel for Pettersson is for REAL. McDavid speed is un-real and the hand-eye coordination for crosby is too real to see at regular speed.

Who would i build a team around?

Pettersson, were doing it right now. unfortunately the body of work is small, for the team, the player and the body... duh. (hes 20).

Right now, you pick based on today, and today its hard to say EP40 is the best so you pick

McDavid

Marner

Rantanen

Mckinnon

Ovechkin

Stamkos

You dont just build a team around a scoresheet or stats list, you build it around character.

Moving to the future, Pettersson has ALL the tools and i bet on him being a great bet.

2 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

If u called the GM for pastrnak kucherov marner scheifele and offered EP one for one the GM would think you're drunk amd would hang up on you.  

So, you’d agree those players are consider more valuable?

- Pastrnak, who in the past 3 seasons, sits 8th amongst forwards in total points. Only 22 yrs old and is signed long term at a reasonable caphit.

- Kucherov, who currently leds the league in points, 2nd amongst forwards in total points in the past 3 seasons, only behind McDavid. Signed long term and still fairly young.

- Scheifele is probably one of the most underrated two-way centermen in the league. On pace for 90 points this season.

- Marner has a PPG of 1.3, tied for 10th in the league. Plays in all situations, and is on pace for a  90 points season.

Pettersson has been great for us so far, but let’s not try to overhype him as the greatest player of this generation. Dude only played half a season. Let’s see if you can continue this pace throughtout his entire career, before we call him the greatest. 

Elias Pettersson is proving to be a Generational Talent by the numbers and eye test. He is in special company with other generational players like Crosby, McDavid, Ovechkin.

If I was building a franchise:

1. McDavid

2. Pettersson

3. Matthews

4. Barkov

5. Dahlin

6. MacKinnon

7. Eichel

8. Kucherov

9. Scheifele

10. Barzal

Archived