The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Mike McKenna (Flyers claim McKenna)

5 minutes ago, The Listening said:

I find this sudden expediting of Demko to the big club a bit odd. Like, all of a sudden in the last two days, management decided it's time to bring him up. I'm all for it, just the timing is weird. 

I don't think the timing is off, imo. I believe the game against the Devils was Nilsson's last chance to prove his worth and unfortunately he crapped the bed causing this series of events. 

16 minutes ago, The Listening said:

I find this sudden expediting of Demko to the big club a bit odd. Like, all of a sudden in the last two days, management decided it's time to bring him up. I'm all for it, just the timing is weird. 

They probably planned on bringing Demko up in the New Year since training camp. The plan may have been derailed a bit by the concussion, but I guess they thought to get the plan back on track.

It will be great for Demko to work with Clark. He's had a fantastic influence on Marky. 

I hope Green is willing to play Demko at least once a week though. No sense in bringing up Demko to let him go stagnant on the bench like a veteran back-up, the kid is a starter.

25 minutes ago, The Listening said:

Agreed.  I mean I am glad they are giving him an opportunity but maybe wait until they're back home and give TD time to work with Ian Clark? 

57 minutes ago, PlanB said:

So if by chance he gets claimed,  Demko backs up tonight or?

Haven't heard anyone clearly answer this yet.  If McK gets claimed is Demko able to be in Mtl by game time to back up tonight?  Has Demko even been recalled officially? 

41 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Can he play if he is on waivers?

I heard them discuss this on the radio the other day and apparently you can play if on waivers just that teams don't like to do it as it is unfair to the player.

7 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Haven't heard anyone clearly answer this yet.  If McK gets claimed is Demko able to be in Mtl by game time to back up tonight?  Has Demko even been recalled officially? 

Demko hasn't been recalled officially yet, but he will join the team tomorrow in Toronto. We will also find out tomorrow morning whether McKenna was claimed or not. Hence, McKenna will be the backup tonight.

53 minutes ago, The Listening said:

I think this was management's plan all along. I kinda figured going into the season that we'd see Demko sooner than later. I didn't think we'd see him till March though. I think this was sped up a bit by a combination of Thatcher playing lights out in Utica and Nilsson failing to establish himself as a reliable back up. 

1 hour ago, The Listening said:

How does any of this make it seem like they are expediting the process? 

Obviously as soon as a trade is made for an AHL goalie, they would bring up Demko shortly after..

2 hours ago, The Listening said:

I think it's because Ottawa called (or we called them asking if they're interested considering their situation) and it started the ball rolling. I think the Canucks were likely to try to move Nillson by the trade deadline anyway, but just found a taker earlier on. Better to be proactive because maybe there are no teams in need of a goalie by TDL (contenders are generally set, tankers won't need him and the middle pack likely will not want to give up assets for a backup goalie at this point) and we have to go through the awkwardness of waiving him.

Archived