The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Mike McKenna (Flyers claim McKenna)

49 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I understand that this is a business, but I feel this is a classless move by Philly. They know we traded for Mckenna, who is not good enough to stick in the NHL, in order to fill the hole in Utica. I can see if we tried to slide a goalie with lots of upside down to the AHL, but McKenna is not an up-and-comer. Oh well, life goes on. 

I see where you're coming from,  but look at it from McK's point of view - he's staying in the NHL.......for the time being anyway.  The CBA is actually working for this journeyman!   

50 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I understand that this is a business, but I feel this is a classless move by Philly. They know we traded for Mckenna, who is not good enough to stick in the NHL, in order to fill the hole in Utica. I can see if we tried to slide a goalie with lots of upside down to the AHL, but McKenna is not an up-and-comer. Oh well, life goes on. 

I don’t get the classless part at all.  If he is good enough to stay in the NHL, then he gets claimed.

They don’t get to assign him to the minors, if they do in the near future we get him back (unless there was another claim as well as theirs).

It would be classless to want a guy to lose his NHL dream and salary because you want a veteran AHL goalie.  

It it isn’t like there aren’t other goalie options in the minors that can be found as a placeholder until Dipietro is on the scene.

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I see where you're coming from,  but look at it from McK's point of view - he's staying in the NHL.......for the time being anyway.  The CBA is actually working for this journeyman!   

He is also on a two-way contract per CapFriendly - 700K in the NHL vs 175K in the AHL.

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

I don’t get the classless part at all.  If he is good enough to stay in the NHL, then he gets claimed.

They don’t get to assign him to the minors, if they do in the near future we get him back (unless there was another claim as well as theirs).

It would be classless to want a guy to lose his NHL dream and salary because you want a veteran AHL goalie.  

It it isn’t like there aren’t other goalie options in the minors that can be found as a placeholder until Dipietro is on the scene.

1-4-1 with a 3.96gaa and 0.897svp

Honestly, tho, I really don't care much either way. I'll leave your classless comment as yours.

Archived