The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Mike McKenna (Flyers claim McKenna)

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I'm not laughing at Neuvirth being hurt but damn, the Flyers just can't catch any kind of break with their goalies.

Six goalies so far.  They apparently could break a record if he starts a game.  From SportsTalkPhilly:  "Only three teams in NHL history have played seven goaltenders in a single season. No team in NHL history has started seven different goalies in a season. Saturday is Game 41 for the Flyers, marking the halfway point of the 2018-19 season."

My guess is that the Comets will ride with two AHL contract goalies with the hopes that McKenna hits the waiver wire again and so the Canucks can claim him and send him right to Utica once Philly's other goalies get healthy.

Conversely, after watching the Spengler Cup, I'd love to see the Canucks try and pry Zach Fucale out of Vegas. Fucale is in the ECHL for them this year and hasn't had much of a chance to play AHL games. He'd be an interesting project for the rest of the season (and possibly beyond, being a Bachman replacement if he works out). I bet the Canucks could deal the rights to like a Dmitry Zukenov or Kristoffer Gunnarsson for him or maybe "future considerations?"

That also said, CometsCory on twitter suggested the Canucks look into signing Jeff Zatkoff (currently playing in Germany, AHL Vet, has worked with Ian Clark) as another option... Could be an option but if he does sign the Canucks would still have to waive him to get him to the AHL so the same problem may occur... Again.

Weird interesting conundrum but happy McKenna is collecting more NHL salary. 

1 hour ago, mll said:

And here's the reason:

TSN said that Neuvirth is day o day so it is unlikely that Philly keeps McKenna for long.....unless they want McKenna to stay as backup and let Hart go back to the AHL.

Hopefully they are ready to ride with Hart

We should look into signing Denis Godla. He just recently helped his team win the Spengler Cup against Canada and I remember his name from an impressive World Junior performance a few years back. He's only 23, but I'm not expecting big things from him. If he becomes an AHL regular, then that itself is a win. Only downside is he's on the shorter side being only 5'10, but we have high hopes for DiPietro who's 6'0.

I wonder if he has an out clause.

1 minute ago, GarthButcher5 said:

TSN said that Neuvirth is day o day so it is unlikely that Philly keeps McKenna for long.....unless they want McKenna to stay as backup and let Hart go back to the AHL.

Hopefully they are ready to ride with Hart

I wonder if GM's communicate their intentions to each other in these circumstances. Lets say Philly knows they only need him for a week do they give Canucks a heads up that is the intent or is this always a blind side when it comes to wavers. 

5 minutes ago, surtur said:

I wonder if GM's communicate their intentions to each other in these circumstances. Lets say Philly knows they only need him for a week do they give Canucks a heads up that is the intent or is this always a blind side when it comes to wavers. 

Well considering teams put in a claim and we find out by the next day who actually gets the player based on priority, I doubt there's any need to let the team know because another team could swoop them up anyway if they were higher in the pecking order. It would be a nice thing for GMs to do to give a heads up, but I doubt it happens.

Archived