The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Houston, we have a disconnect

JM_

I purposely stayed away from the discussion last night over Petey's 2nd injury of the year to try to get some perspective on whats going on with this team.

On the one hand, there's no doubt that this team is a harder opponent to play against than its been in years with the additions of Beagle and Roussel, and Bo taking big strides.

On the other, there's a real perception of the team being "unwilling" to engage physically in the sense of retaliation or protection. Travis Green clearly doesn't think thats a problem.

So in an attempt to add something new to the discussion, Ill put this out there: what are we as a fan base missing? what is it that we don't understand thats leading to so many of us feeling like the team is abandoning guys like Petey and Baer? why is there a disconnect here between what so many of us want to see and what Green's plan is? 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I purposely stayed away from the discussion last night over Petey's 2nd injury of the year to try to get some perspective on whats going on with this team.

On the one hand, there's no doubt that this team is a harder opponent to play against than its been in years with the additions of Beagle and Roussel, and Bo taking big strides.

On the other, there's a real perception of the team being "unwilling" to engage physically in the sense of retaliation or protection. Travis Green clearly doesn't think thats a problem.

So in an attempt to add something new to the discussion, Ill put this out there: what are we as a fan base missing? what is it that we don't understand thats leading to so many of us feeling like the team is abandoning guys like Petey and Baer? why is there a disconnect here between what so many of us want to see and what Green's plan is? 

In canucks players eyes, that wasnt "dirty" to them, "dirty" is like a cheap shot to stetcher to the head, is what "dirty" looks like in their eyes.

1 minute ago, Zach Parise said:

In canucks players eyes, that wasnt "dirty" to them, "dirty" is like a cheap shot to stetcher to the head, is what "dirty" looks like in their eyes.

I tend to agree with some that there really isn't much of a deterrent for players to initiate contact like that on Petey tho, the guy basically leg humped him and it went awry. 

As for Baer and Stecher, those needed some serious pushback that never came. 

Or am I missing something? 

3 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Is it bad form to point out that the only disconnect I could find is the fact that this is posted in OTG and not in Canucks Talk?  

:bigblush:

I wasn't sure where to put it since its more about the fan base than the team :P

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I tend to agree with some that there really isn't much of a deterrent for players to initiate contact like that on Petey tho, the guy basically leg humped him and it went awry. 

As for Baer and Stecher, those needed some serious pushback that never came. 

Or am I missing something? 

Didn't Gudbranson/Virtanen dummy the guy who blindsided Stetcher a little later?

Any shot to your star player, the guy who's putting butts in the seats, should be viewed as cheap because that's what it is-- even if it's a slash to the hands or ankles cross-check to the back. Like I get it, "it's hockey" but that's not an excuse to purposely try to hurt someone just because they're miles better than you, and that's all you can do to them because you're simply not good enough to adapt to the speed of the game. so instead on getting working better defensively, we see a lot of these guys try to just take guys out instead of being responsible, then say that was an accident after the fact, even though they know full well what they were doing, and that's on the league

Maybe I'm out to lunch and idk what I'm talking about but we hear all this talk about "protecting the star players" and that's all it is- just talk. It's not limited to the Canucks, a lot of other teams star guys are getting cheap shotted, and even a slash to the hands and someone's answering to someone. We don't have that on this team and that's what I dont get 

Now I'm not saying that they goon up everyone who slashes pettersson but at least have guys who are paying attention as to who's doing it the most and issue some kind of warning, that if you do that again you're answering to me. Is that too much to ask? 

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

what are we as a fan base missing? what is it that we don't understand thats leading to so many of us feeling like the team is abandoning guys like Petey and Baer? why is there a disconnect here between what so many of us want to see and what Green's plan is? 

Well now we're missing EP40:unsure:

Like I said, it's team toughness as a whole.  I won't even bring up the EP40 play.  Later on, Granlund received what looked like to me a vicious crosscheck from Domi who then accused him of diving.  That right there should of induced a scrum.  The team will defend itself saying they were on a PP(one they didn't score on) and they needed 2 points(which they didn't get).  So that's where my disconnect comes from.

22 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

missing experience actually playing the game they watch and love to complain about.

2 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

Any shot to your star player, the guy who's putting butts in the seats, should be viewed as cheap because that's what it is-- even if it's a slash to the hands or ankles cross-check to the back. Like I get it, "it's hockey" but that's not an excuse to purposely try to hurt someone just because they're miles better than you, and that's all you can do to them because you're simply not good enough to adapt to the speed of the game. so instead on getting working better defensively, we see a lot of these guys try to just take guys out instead of being responsible, then say that was an accident after the fact, even though they know full well what they were doing, and that's on the league

Maybe I'm out to lunch and idk what I'm talking about but we hear all this talk about "protecting the star players" and that's all it is- just talk. It's not limited to the Canucks, a lot of other teams star guys are getting cheap shotted, and even a slash to the hands and someone's answering to someone. We don't have that on this team and that's what I dont get 

Now I'm not saying that they goon up everyone who slashes pettersson but at least have guys who are paying attention as to who's doing it the most and issue some kind of warning, that if you do that again you're answering to me. Is that too much to ask? 

Last nights play should not have seen a response.......the hit by Borowecki the night before should have.

12 minutes ago, Zach Parise said:

Yes, the hit on Stecher was dirty. And there was retaliation from the Canucks. I give them that. But I believe Pettersson is different than every other player. I see it clearly, when he has the puck, they have a chance to score. With him in the lineup they have a good chance to win. He makes every other player on the team look average. Bold statement, but I stand by it.

I can sort of understand - Pettersson is a young, physically under-developed kid who's playing in the big leagues, he's going to learn quickly. This game can be vicious at times. The look on his face when Kotkaniemi tried to apologize told it all. There was no emotion, and hardly acknowledgement. Elias was pi**ed at the play. The only Canucks player that seemed unhappy about the play was Gudbranson. He felt Kot deserved at least a penalty. Surprised Green was okay with the play.      

41 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

48045D3E-E6B5-407A-9E18-23C710EB4E29.gif

why is it whenever Pettersson gets hit or taken down with a dirty play the refs seem to always miss it. last night was definitely a penalty.  also the smirk on the montreal kids face after proved it was not so innocent, his chirping in van in November saying he hates swedes.  if a coach won't stand up for our star, the players sure as heck should or Benning needs to get someone who will.

THIS as a deterrent early in a game ,or how about dropping the gloves on behalf of  his team mates since everybody knows he's capable , looking at his fights with the exception of the matt martin incident they were predominantly incidents that occurred against himself.

Archived