The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Houston, we have a disconnect

JM_

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

What are we as a fan base missing? what is it that we don't understand thats leading to so many of us feeling like the team is abandoning guys like Petey and Baer? why is there a disconnect here between what so many of us want to see and what Green's plan is? 

Other than not being able to put a leash on our emotional reactions...

My frustration boils down to feeling mislead by management. What exactly does "Safe working environment" mean? 

JB hires some pitbulls to create this faery tale safety, only to have Green take their teeth away. 

There may not have been intent on Kotko's behalf, but it's not necessarily intent that needs to be punished, it's the result that needs to be addressed. 

I could be wrong, but I feel like we're the only team in the league that doesn't go ballistic when our star(s) are mugged.

The opposition doesn't need to think twice about taking liberties because the result of those liberties is very rarely addressed on the ice.

But I'm probably missing the part about two points being more important than the image of the team, or the message sent by simply letting these plays slide..

Safe work environment for the kids = lip service

Wasn't Hutton right there when Kotkaniemi hooked and wrestled Pettersson to the ice? He just kind of skated by. Canucks have brought in some gritty players, but I'm an old school fan who still believes that if you cross a line, then you have to pay for it. There was no reason for Kot to hook Pettersson from behind, other than to slow him down because Kot isn't fast enough to keep up. The Canucks will never win a Cup if they continue to play a passive game and don't protect their stars.    

14 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Wasn't Hutton right there when Kotkaniemi hooked and wrestled Pettersson to the ice? He just kind of skated by. Canucks have brought in some gritty players, but I'm an old school fan who still believes that if you cross a line, then you have to pay for it. There was no reason for Kot to hook Pettersson from behind, other than to slow him down because Kot isn't fast enough to keep up. The Canucks will never win a Cup if they continue to play a passive game and don't protect their stars.    

This is what is SUPPOSED to happen when you TOUCH our superstar! Hopefully we don't have to have another one our Stars(Boeser) initiate it though.

46 minutes ago, luckylager said:

My frustration boils down to feeling mislead by management. What exactly does "Safe working environment" mean? 

excellent question and I think this probably goes to the heart of it... was Guddy hired to get guys to avoid him at the blue line, or to dole out punishment when needed, or both?

It might just come down to personnel. You have to be a certain kind of person to be a Wilson, Torres, or Cooke, or Kadri, or Semenko if you want to go old school. But maybe when you have a truly elite player you actually need one of those douchebags to do what very few guys seem willing to do as an ice-level deterrent?

So as you say, maybe the disconnect here is what a team thinks "safe" is vs what fans think "safe" is. 

42 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

he was. 

fans just a more reactionary when a fan favorite gets a bit more physical attention

and demand that our viewpoint / concerns are addressed

when the actual players and coach who know the game and play it at the nhl level

view the play as being within the normal confines of the physical game of hockey

and basically acceptable and so not worthy of special response

fans are not able to emotionally accept that viewpoint

i find it a bit bizarre that so many in response

turn on a player like sutter and the coach personally

when their viewpoints based on their knowledge of the game

differs from what fans think

so i guess i agree that there is a disconnect

1 hour ago, stawns said:

missing experience actually playing the game they watch and love to complain about.

hmm.... maybe to a degree but when was the last time there was an actual on-ice immediate response to something? Hansen when Daniel got a head shot from Kadri?

I don't think you have to have been a player to see that Vancouver doesn't respond. Now maybe thats part of a desire to rise above and get the two points, but its a problem for many fans. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

excellent question and I think this probably goes to the heart of it... was Guddy hired to get guys to avoid him at the blue line, or to dole out punishment when needed, or both?

It might just come down to personnel. You have to be a certain kind of person to be a Wilson, Torres, or Cooke, or Kadri, or Semenko if you want to go old school. But maybe when you have a truly elite player you actually need one of those douchbags to do what very few guys seem willing to do as an ice-level deterrent?

So as you say, maybe the disconnect here is what a team thinks "safe" is vs what fans think "safe" is. 

If it was a guy like Roussel or Schaller getting all tangled up, away from the play and one of them suffers a freak injury, the thought process is - well that's the way he's supposed to play the game. Play with the dogs you get bit.

When it's Petey, whether or not he was engaging in the battle, obstructing a bit and pushing back, then he gets all tangled up and suffers a freak injury... Why can't we send a little "I don't think so, you don't play Petey like that" memo?

Pretty sure most of us would have been satisfied if Hutty would have just fed Kotko a few shots immediately afterwards. Punish the result, I don't care about intent, hands off the Petey.

Just up the physical play, finish checks with force, target Mete on your dump ins. Don't just roll over.

7 minutes ago, luckylager said:

If it was a guy like Roussel or Schaller getting all tangled up, away from the play and one of them suffers a freak injury, the thought process is - well that's the way he's supposed to play the game. Play with the dogs you get bit.

When it's Petey, whether or not he was engaging in the battle, obstructing a bit and pushing back, then he gets all tangled up and suffers a freak injury... Why can't we send a little "I don't think so, you don't play Petey like that" memo?

Pretty sure most of us would have been satisfied if Hutty would have just fed Kotko a few shots immediately afterwards. Punish the result, I don't care about intent, hands off the Petey.

Just up the physical play, finish checks with force, target Mete on your dump ins. Don't just roll over.

thats it exactly. You don't need to swing your stick Kassian-Gagner style, but Hutty taking a roughing penalty to send a message would be the right thing to do imo. But of course if the theme in the room is to not do that and get the 2 points instead then, well, here we are. 

Next time I have lunch with Francesco I'll mention to him that many fans would like to see some toughness vs. always going for the two points. Or maybe I'll just wait for the next night he tweets. 

2 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I would've been fine if someone accidentally-on-purpose pulled the same move on him (submission leg-lock takedown), or gave him a two-hander to the backside of the knee, but knowing the way the league works, that player would probably end up on the endangered species list with a two-season suspension and with the team being taken to court, a la Steve Moore.  :rolleyes:

well, lets not go there. 

I do wonder if there is a misread of the fan base too. No way does Pasternak get a takedown like that and have no response fly in Boston. I think the Vancouver fan base is a little gnarlier than maybe the management group thinks. Or maybe they just don't care what we think :lol: thats possible too. 

For me personally I find if very disappointing how often the Canucks let things go but there are a lot of good things to like too. It is what it is. 

Payback is a Biatch - just ask Moore (it was unfortunate that he got extra hurt in the pile up) but it is what it is.

I subscribe to the school that wants protection for the stars, ESPECIALLY since we have a history of drafting players on the SLIGHT side of life.

Fans pay $$$ to see the payback , like when Hutton et al responded..... we all felt good and the score was not relevant. WE WANNA SEE BLOOD.

To see our stars abused with no response..... is just sad and frustrating. I watch Hockey to see a sport with speed, physicality and danger. 

Oh, we will hurt em back on the PP.... I call BS unless our PP is ranked in the top 5 , then i can sorta live with it. But, Alas many of our recent injuries were not even called a penalty??? so what to do .... what to do

I used to go to the Friday night fights and see if a Hockey game breaks out.

I always have stood up against the guys bullying the smaller guys, even when it cost me a fight. The point is, Someone has to send a message that targeting our undersized skill players is not acceptable.

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I purposely stayed away from the discussion last night over Petey's 2nd injury of the year to try to get some perspective on whats going on with this team.

On the one hand, there's no doubt that this team is a harder opponent to play against than its been in years with the additions of Beagle and Roussel, and Bo taking big strides.

On the other, there's a real perception of the team being "unwilling" to engage physically in the sense of retaliation or protection. Travis Green clearly doesn't think thats a problem.

So in an attempt to add something new to the discussion, Ill put this out there: what are we as a fan base missing? what is it that we don't understand thats leading to so many of us feeling like the team is abandoning guys like Petey and Baer? why is there a disconnect here between what so many of us want to see and what Green's plan is? 

Missing?

1) Trust in our coach and players' opinions.

2) Emotional intelligence. 

Don't understand?

1) That we're trying to win hockey games to make the playoffs.

2) The difference between a typical hockey play vs. a dirty hockey play (i.e. intentional vs. accidental) 

Disconnect?

1) Many here on CDC have never played hockey before, or at least at a high level. 

Coaches and players have deluded tunnel vision where they are only focused on winning meaningless games that do nothing except give a worse draft picks in a year we are hosting the draft. Some fans want them to win the right way and it’s okay to look at the bigger picture and protect your bread winner over winning a meaningless game. Sometimes you have to take one step back before you move 5 steps forward. In this case, screw the game, tank the season, and hit ever Montreal Midget in sight is the proper response.

Archived