The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Houston, we have a disconnect

JM_

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

that seemed to bring Tampa closer together than lite a fire in our guys tbh. 

Houston we definitely have a disconnect... :unsure:

First you say you want more push back. Your exact words:

"there's a real perception of the team being "unwilling" to engage physically in the sense of retaliation or protection. Travis Green clearly doesn't think thats a problem.

So in an attempt to add something new to the discussion, Ill put this out there: what are we as a fan base missing? what is it that we don't understand thats leading to so many of us feeling like the team is abandoning guys like Petey and Baer? why is there a disconnect here between what so many of us want to see and what Green's plan is? "

Then you say when we do/did retaliate that it brings the other team closer together... :wacko:

Which way do you want it?

One part is our fan base loves to relive past trauma, already in this thread we’ve seen video of our star players taking hits going back a decade or more.

We’re hyper sensitive to it and the Sedins in particular had that “turn the other cheek” mentality that has left a deep wound on a large section of the fan base.  The over the top responses make sense in that light and I feel it too.

As for what we’re missing I think Green and the Canucks have to walk a line with Pettersson.  On one hand they have to let him establish himself on his own in the league - gain the respect of his NHL peers without then riding in to his rescue over every little hook and slash.  Long term this is a good thing for him.  

That said, any egregious hit or physical play on him should warrant at least some response... Matheson or the Borowicki hit would be good examples.  A hook and a weird fall when Pettersson was leaning into him?  Not so much IMO but when he didn’t return to the game the other kid needed a whack or two, which apparently Granny (and Brock? gave.). I didn’t watch the 3rd very closely.

Ever since Bertuzzi Moore this teams mentality has changed, it doesnt matter who the owner is, gm, coach, players, etc. 

That was the turning point. The Canucks used to have a semi tough rep. They were never the broad street bullies or the big bad Bruins but they were definitely more chippy.

Probably more similar to calgary's style.

Bertuzzi - Moore changed that

Its pretty simple, some on CDC are blinded with Canuck eyes. They see things only as Canuck fans.  They think the refs, league and world are against them.  I usually try to wait to listen to thoughts and opinions of people without blinders on to help rationalize my opinion.  Too many are quick to just post homer opinions.

30 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Coaches and players have deluded tunnel vision where they are only focused on winning meaningless games that do nothing except give a worse draft picks in a year we are hosting the draft. Some fans want them to win the right way and it’s okay to look at the bigger picture and protect your bread winner over winning a meaningless game. Sometimes you have to take one step back before you move 5 steps forward. In this case, screw the game, tank the season, and hit ever Montreal Midget in sight is the proper response.

not sure how long it is going to take for some here to realize that the players don't play for a better draft pick.  We got Brock &^@#ing Boeser at 23.

34 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

One part is our fan base loves to relive past trauma, already in this thread we’ve seen video of our star players taking hits going back a decade or more.

We’re hyper sensitive to it and the Sedins in particular had that “turn the other cheek” mentality that has left a deep wound on a large section of the fan base.  The over the top responses make sense in that light and I feel it too.

As for what we’re missing I think Green and the Canucks have to walk a line with Pettersson.  On one hand they have to let him establish himself on his own in the league - gain the respect of his NHL peers without then riding in to his rescue over every little hook and slash.  Long term this is a good thing for him.  

That said, any egregious hit or physical play on him should warrant at least some response... Matheson or the Borowicki hit would be good examples.  A hook and a weird fall when Pettersson was leaning into him?  Not so much IMO but when he didn’t return to the game the other kid needed a whack or two, which apparently Granny (and Brock? gave.). I didn’t watch the 3rd very closely.

The borowecki hit pissed me off for sure, that should have been a penalty and a rip to the Guddy mile.  That said, injuries happen in fights all the time and I'd hate to see more guys out.

24 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Ever since Bertuzzi Moore this teams mentality has changed, it doesnt matter who the owner is, gm, coach, players, etc. 

That was the turning point. The Canucks used to have a semi tough rep. They were never the broad street bullies or the big bad Bruins but they were definitely more chippy.

Probably more similar to calgary's style.

Bertuzzi - Moore changed that

The 93-95 Canucks were a pretty tough group

7 minutes ago, Just1CupBeforeIDie said:

I didn't even see one Canuck rip a strip off him verbally, nevermind physically.

This is when psychology can mess a guy up mentally...get him off his game.

Isn't that what Roussel was brought in to do?

The two rulebooks REALLY burns my bacon.

We tried push-back in the Torts yr. SEVEN ****ING min 2 man disadvantages, bxb nites, to give rival fans a laugh.

Boston, TBay..other league sweethearts would NEVER have to deal with such bull ***t. All this has been said. Then marginal(pretend) fans..or trolls in sheep's clothing, will come in here, speaking as a league apologist.

A Cdn team(not Hogtown, USA) trying to build a sustainable winner, is like a chronic gambler trying to win in Vegas(as an occupation).

It won't happen.

The biggest problem is we sure as hell don't want another Bertuzzi & Moore fiasco,

that took the starch right out of the Canucks for years and I think we are still paying for it.

However,A LOT BETTER reffing can eliminate most of that goon hockey simply by doing a better job.Head shots ,OUT OF THE GAME FOR THE PLAYER HEAD HUNTING,

Since there has been two reffs,things have taken a turn ,FOR THE WORSE.

DO A BETTER JOB REFFS.

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

Missing?

1) Trust in our coach and players' opinions.

2) Emotional intelligence. 

Don't understand?

1) That we're trying to win hockey games to make the playoffs.

2) The difference between a typical hockey play vs. a dirty hockey play (i.e. intentional vs. accidental) 

Disconnect?

1) Many here on CDC have never played hockey before, or at least at a high level. 

We have a winner. Especially the last point. Canucks fans are embarrassing thinking they know more than the professionals that do this for a living. EP and his teammates all say it was a unfortunate hockey play that ended up in an injury. Canucks fan reaction: "They don't know what they're talking about! My years of watching the game on TV qualifies my opinion far more than the players and coaches that have been involved in the game at an elite level." It would be quite comical if it wasn't my team's fan base.

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I purposely stayed away from the discussion last night over Petey's 2nd injury of the year to try to get some perspective on whats going on with this team.

On the one hand, there's no doubt that this team is a harder opponent to play against than its been in years with the additions of Beagle and Roussel, and Bo taking big strides.

On the other, there's a real perception of the team being "unwilling" to engage physically in the sense of retaliation or protection. Travis Green clearly doesn't think thats a problem.

So in an attempt to add something new to the discussion, Ill put this out there: what are we as a fan base missing? what is it that we don't understand thats leading to so many of us feeling like the team is abandoning guys like Petey and Baer? why is there a disconnect here between what so many of us want to see and what Green's plan is? 

Look no further than our history of our star players getting  liberties taken on them with no response whatsoever. 

Archived