The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Captaincy question

Rate this topic

Slegr

Bo is the only choice.

Its also a matter of timing. Elias and even Brock, are just too green for the job right at this moment. (But especially Elias, who also has to adjust to a foreign country, language etc) Also right now in their careers they should be concentrating on scoring. They score 40% of the goals already, that is enough pressure. If this were a couple years down the line, and/or Bo came in at the same time and they were all fairly equal in their time as a Canuck, then we'd have a debate.  There is none. The only way Elias becomes captain over Bo is if Bo was traded. And I hope that doesn't happen.

Does anyone know if Elias was ever a captain of any junior team he played for? 

24 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Bo is the only choice.

Its also a matter of timing. Elias and even Brock, are just too green for the job right at this moment. (But especially Elias, who also has to adjust to a foreign country, language etc) Also right now in their careers they should be concentrating on scoring. They score 40% of the goals already, that is enough pressure. If this were a couple years down the line, and/or Bo came in at the same time and they were all fairly equal in their time as a Canuck, then we'd have a debate.  There is none. The only way Elias becomes captain over Bo is if Bo was traded. And I hope that doesn't happen.

Does anyone know if Elias was ever a captain of any junior team he played for? 

EP wasn't captain of the world Junior team he won silver with. Lias Andersson was captain. I don't think EP even had an A

• Upvote 1

I think the main thing about a captain is dealing with media and officials. Every year we hear about leadership beyond the players with letters, so captaincy doesn't mean a whole lot in the room specifically anyway. With that said, this is why I would choose Bo, simply because of his calmer demeanour that may bode well with officials and his indifferent attitude towards the media is what is needed to not give them what they're craving, which is to blow up any little thing they can grasp. I think it's funny how Pettersson handles the media, but it's what the media preys on. Look at how they dealt with the "death stare" which was meant to demonstrate what a dumb question that was asked, but the media turned it into a joke and are likely trying to find ways to trigger him again now.

This is like choosing Linden or Bure to be captain and I think the decision should be an easy one.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Slegr said:

This part has surprised me. I really thought Horvat would have been standing up for teammates more than he has this year. But if that's not part of his repertoire,then what exactly is making him the default captain in many people's minds?  It also confused me as to why he wasn't already given the captaincy if he was meant to be our next captain. It would have made the most sense to give it to him before this season started. He's not a rookie anymore - he's in his fifth season. Why the hesitancy by Canucks management?

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

It seems to me like Horvat has kind of taken a step back this year - with his presence. Last year, it really appeared that the Sedins were passing the torch to him and it would become his team. This year, even though he's still producing good numbers, he doesn't seem to exactly be leading this team. He's been saying for a year that he would be honoured to wear the C one day and he went out and did everything he could to carry the team on his back and win games. Now, he just seems like another shut-down centerman who quietly goes about his business. Is he doing less interviews too? I wonder if Bo feels slighted by Canucks management for giving his all in previous years, proving himself to be captain worthy, and then having management tell him they're not ready to assign the C to anyone yet.  

Before this season, I was also thinking Bo was the shoe-in. I would like a leader who wants to win at all costs and will do anything to get there. EP has done everything in his power to win, every game. Bo lately has looked tired or disinterested. 

I don't want the leader to all of a sudden "give up" when the going gets tough I want that fight in him until the very end. Right now that person is Petey, without a doubt.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I think the main thing about a captain is dealing with media and officials. Every year we hear about leadership beyond the players with letters, so captaincy doesn't mean a whole lot in the room specifically anyway. With that said, this is why I would choose Bo, simply because of his calmer demeanour that may bode well with officials and his indifferent attitude towards the media is what is needed to not give them what they're craving, which is to blow up any little thing they can grasp. I think it's funny how Pettersson handles the media, but it's what the media preys on. Look at how they dealt with the "death stare" which was meant to demonstrate what a dumb question that was asked, but the media turned it into a joke and are likely trying to find ways to trigger him again now.

This is like choosing Linden or Bure to be captain and I think the decision should be an easy one.

Exactly, now the media want to target EP? Because they were called out for their dumbass questions. Until we have one, but even then, we need someone that can handle these snake dog questions Vancouver media throw at our guys. Hometown media and still finding shade every presser.

The Captaincy isn't the "Best player on the team" patch, it's who is the rallying point for the squad and the go-to representative between the coaching staff and the rest of the players. 

Quite often it's not the most skilled guy that's the captain.  Kane is probably the better offensive player than Toews, but he isn't the captain.  Malkin is Crosby's equal and some considered even more skilled... but it's Sid's team.  Mike Richards was the captain of the Flyers even though they had both Pronger and Carter on the team.  Dustin Brown was the captain of the Kings when they won the cups, not Kopitar, not Doughty, etc.  

That being said both EP and BoHo bring their lunch pails to the job each and every shift, so this isn't just some typical skilled Euro vs meat/potatoes Canadian kid.  Is EP a vocal guy?  Maybe he's quirky, which may sometimes rub some folks the wrong way when presented to the media.   I see Bo as more the guy who is willing to lead by example on the ice, willing to chastise teammates who aren't pulling their weight, throw a few knuckles sandwiches when needed.  I can't imagine Elias willing to throw punches toward some lazy teammate during practice... but I can definitely see Horvat doing it.  

If I had to choose the C and A's.... Bo for the Captaincy, Sutter for the A (he's eating tons of ice time) and Edler (longest tenured Canuck).  

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Before this season, I was also thinking Bo was the shoe-in. I would like a leader who wants to win at all costs and will do anything to get there. EP has done everything in his power to win, every game. Bo lately has looked tired or disinterested. 

I don't want the leader to all of a sudden "give up" when the going gets tough I want that fight in him until the very end. Right now that person is Petey, without a doubt.

Tired, definitely tired. He had to carry the team on his back at center when Sutter and Beagle were both out and we have played the most games in the league. He's literally been on the ice more than any other Canuck this season (one of the few who has actually played the full season so far).

3 hours ago, Sikhguy23 said:

BO without a doubt. He seems to handle the pressure on and off the ice quite well. I also think its time for a North American(Canadian) captain. I just feel like that when Henrik was the Captain he was too passive, rather you would see people like bieksa, burrows, kesler going to talk to the refs night in and out. Petey might not be as passive as him, but I just feel like BO is perfectly suited to be the captain of the team.

Good points. Henrik was a great player and a great member of community. And he was the best choice as captain at the time. But I agree that he was more passive than would be ideal. Being a jerk (like Kesler) or being disliked by referees (like Burrows) is not good, though.

You want a guy who has the respect of teammates, referees, and the media (as a lot of what the captain does is interact with the media). And, frankly, as a fan, I want a captain to be someone fans like and respect. It makes me feel better about the team. And the captain should be a very good player--not necessarily the best player on the team-- but a guy in a position to show leadership on the ice in terms of performance as well as "playing the right way."

I think Horvat covers all the bases and would be a great captain. And I think it is a plus to have a captain who is Canadian although I would not make that a major consideration.

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Better not be Sutter, that's all I can say

Took the words out of my mouth (or off my keyboard).

3 hours ago, Xbox said:

Horvat: C

Pettersson: A

Edler: A (Eventually Hughes)

I think Horvat with the C and EP40 and Edler with the As is the right call. And Hughes is a great prospect but I would not jump the gun on a guy who has not yet played his first game as a pro. Also, he has kind of an edge to his personality and his game. I have no problem with that as a guy on the team, but it might not be ideal for a guy with the A. But, looking far into the the future, I would not rule out young guys like Woo and Gaudette in the long run. Love the attitude of both those guys. Hope their performance continues to develop.

• Upvote 2

I am not really sure why the best player has to be the captain. Thats not really what the job entails.

Its about who says what in the dressing room and when.Anyone on CDC been in the dressing room after a loss? after a big win?

How about on the bus or plane? How about when a new player joins the team?

Anyone here know who looks after a rookie when he comes up? Just Curious.

Being the Captain of an NHL team does not mean you have to be the best Player. It means you have to be the best leader.

Sure Petterson has more points than BO but hows his Face offs compared to BO. Who is the first one Green leans on when its time for a defensive zone face off.

Remind me again who leads the NHL in face-offs taken?

Bure was a better player than Linden, who was Captain?

Kane is a better player than Toews but who is Captain

Marchand although I hate him is a better player than Chara?

Gaudreau and Giordano?

Blake Wheeler and Laine?

Anders Lee and Barzal?

Horvat is far and above the rest. Petterson is Laine to Horvats Wheeler.

or Petterson is Kane to Horvats Toews. Hopefully we win as many cups as that duo

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

I am not really sure why the best player has to be the captain. Thats not really what the job entails.

Its about who says what in the dressing room and when.Anyone on CDC been in the dressing room after a loss? after a big win?

How about on the bus or plane? How about when a new player joins the team?

Anyone here know who looks after a rookie when he comes up? Just Curious.

Being the Captain of an NHL team does not mean you have to be the best Player. It means you have to be the best leader.

Sure Petterson has more points than BO but hows his Face offs compared to BO. Who is the first one Green leans on when its time for a defensive zone face off.

Remind me again who leads the NHL in face-offs taken?

Bure was a better player than Linden, who was Captain?

Kane is a better player than Toews but who is Captain

Marchand although I hate him is a better player than Chara?

Gaudreau and Giordano?

Blake Wheeler and Laine?

Anders Lee and Barzal?

Horvat is far and above the rest. Petterson is Laine to Horvats Wheeler.

or Petterson is Kane to Horvats Toews. Hopefully we win as many cups as that duo

How about GWG's? I want a guy who will win at all costs and finds a way to lead his team to victory. EP has been doing this and he is still a Rookie, I can only imagine what he can do when he gets as much experience as Bo has. Its not about the points its about the fight in the player and right now EP is displaying this by doing everything in his power to win. Have you seen his effort almost EVERY SHIFT? This kid is the real deal and a guy I want to lead this team to a Cup without a doubt.

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

How about GWG's? I want a guy who will win at all costs and finds a way to lead his team to victory. EP has been doing this and he is still a Rookie, I can only imagine what he can do when he gets as much experience as Bo has. Its not about the points its about the fight in the player and right now EP is displaying this by doing everything in his power to win. Have you seen his effort almost EVERY SHIFT? This kid is the real deal and a guy I want to lead this team to a Cup without a doubt.

I saw him take a shift off once. I thought it was completely unacceptable. He could have cost the team a game with that poor effort on that one shift.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1