The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Captaincy question

Rate this topic

Slegr

9 hours ago, The Great Canucks said:

The stupid reasoning some people in here have to not make Bo captain is downright pathetic. Bo is the next captain, plain and simple. Deal with it.

The best reasoning is we as fans don’t really know what goes on in the dressing room, who’s a vocal leader between periods and who management thinks is the best person for the job.  I don’t think it’s as cut and dried as we as fans think, one red flag is whenever Henrik was asked about Bo being the next captain (outside optics suggest he’s a shoe in, we as fans picked him two years ago and only have stronger convictions now) he was diplomatic about it without giving an actual endorsement.  Including comments like he’s quiet in the dressing room and goes about his business like a pro.  

Not all leaders in the past in general are vocal, Sakic is the best example of this (quiet stoic type), he did his leading on the ice though, and his teammates would go through a wall for him.

Bo is great with the press, and I agree with you that with the information we have he’s the best choice.  Pettersson w could be a great choice too,  but it’s too early to saddle him with it.  Lots of other teams have used other guys who weren’t the best players on the team to take the C, Orr and Esposito (who at the time we’re like Gretzky or Lemuiex, was making a mockery of the record books), Landeskog in COL is really enjoying the breakout with McKinnon and Rantanen and has had the C for years without being their best player. Brown (ew) in LA is a cautionary tale to make sure the player is who you think he is first, although they did win two cups with him and not Doughty it Kopitar with the C.

Personally i also want Horvat to get the C, two cores of Swedes is enough for me (and thank you gentlemen because that’s what they were), I’m ready for a different take and Bo is appears to be the perfect leader to take us on the next journey towards the promised land.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

The best reasoning is we as fans don’t really know what goes on in the dressing room, who’s a vocal leader between periods and who management thinks is the best person for the job.  I don’t think it’s as cut and dried as we as fans think, one red flag is whenever Henrik was asked about Bo being the next captain (outside optics suggest he’s a shoe in, we as fans picked him two years ago and only have stronger convictions now) he was diplomatic about it without giving an actual endorsement.  Including comments like he’s quiet in the dressing room and goes about his business like a pro.  

Not all leaders in the past in general are vocal, Sakic is the best example of this (quiet stoic type), he did his leading on the ice though, and his teammates would go through a wall for him.

Bo is great with the press, and I agree with you that with the information we have he’s the best choice.  Pettersson w could be a great choice too,  but it’s too early to saddle him with it.  Lots of other teams have used other guys who weren’t the best players on the team to take the C, Orr and Esposito (who at the time we’re like Gretzky or Lemuiex, was making a mockery of the record books), Landeskog in COL is really enjoying the breakout with McKinnon and Rantanen and has had the C for years without being their best player. Brown (ew) in LA is a cautionary tale to make sure the player is who you think he is first, although they did win two cups with him and not Doughty it Kopitar with the C.

Personally i also want Horvat to get the C, two cores of Swedes is enough for me (and thank you gentlemen because that’s what they were), I’m ready for a different take and Bo is appears to be the perfect leader to take us on the next journey towards the promised land.

Time and time again Bo has taken this team on his back, when the chips were down, and injury had struck...

There are a lot who would like Pettersson to be out next captain, but I'm 100% behind Bo as well...

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, The Great Canucks said:

The stupid reasoning some people in here have to not make Bo captain is downright pathetic. Bo is the next captain, plain and simple. Deal with it.

Let's not kid ourselves here. I know some people are passionate about Bo and all, but Pettersson's also been showing a lot of captain potential, as has Boeser really. I'm not saying Bo won't be captain, but I think you're being silly to think people are stupid if they have a different opinion than you. Just saying...

• Upvote 1

Just now, smokes said:

Edler should be captain until Bo, Boeser and Petey matures.

as I said in the other discussion, Edler is probably a strong candidate, if not the strongest, for the C at this point.  I don't ever see Boes getting a letter, he's just not that kind of player, imo.

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

as I said in the other discussion, Edler is probably a strong candidate, if not the strongest, for the C at this point.  I don't ever see Boes getting a letter, he's just not that kind of player, imo.

They shouldn't. How many people would have wanted to give Henrik the C at that young age. He grew into it. With Edler at his age and being a veteran to be leaned on. Bo, Boeser and Petey have a few years to grow into that role. Edler would be the buffer.

Edited by smokes
  • Cheers 1

17 hours ago, The Great Canucks said:

you don't think it's possible that he's not ready? I like his game, but he's still inconsistent at times and I think the burden of leadership will exacerbate that.  If it were me, I'd give it to Sutter or edler for a cpl years, then hand it off to the player who has stepped up to take it......likely between Bo and Petey.  Personally, I think Petey will wear it down the road.

This really seems more of what kind of Captain and what he brings to the table is what really this discussion is about. Some see what he does for the city or the community, what he does in the dressing room, what he does on the ice or does he bring the heart and desire to win at all costs mentality.

It really doesn't matter to me who eventually gets the C as long as they bring the attributes which will eventually bring us a Cup or two.

Strong desire to win at all costs, do whatever is needed to get there, does not accept mediocracy and will lead his team to victory because he has the respect of them and they will follow him no matter what.

Whether that is Bo or Petey still remains to be seen. Both have shown strong attributes to date ,but ,we are still transitioning and we still have not had a sniff at the playoffs with this core yet. That is where we will see what they are made of. If someone comes out of that and they slightly resemble anything like Linden in the 94 playoffs, I will defend them for the Captaincy no matter who they are.

18 hours ago, butters said:

Captains get to talk to refs. Leaders are leaders regardless of the letter on their chest. Most people here are making a big deal about nothing

With that attitude no wonder we have ZERO! Stanley Cups! ::D

Maybe you should look at past Stanley Cup Winners Captains to see what it takes. I am sure those guys were picked so they can "talk to the refs". :lol:

1 minute ago, EdgarM said:

With that attitude no wonder we have ZERO! Stanley Cups! ::D

Maybe you should look at past Stanley Cup Winners Captains to see what it takes. I am sure those guys were picked so they can "talk to the refs". :lol:

I'm flattered that you think my attitude had any impact on anything, but its not true. 

I'm also curious why you would think that the C on their chest is somehow magical, and without they wouldn't be leaders in the room. Is it magic?

27 minutes ago, butters said:

I'm flattered that you think my attitude had any impact on anything, but its not true. 

I'm also curious why you would think that the C on their chest is somehow magical, and without they wouldn't be leaders in the room. Is it magic?

Well, watching most of the careers of the past Captains who won Cups, I see a pattern of attributes they carried such as a relentless desire to win and to win at almost any cost. I have seen a strong work ethic and Captains who were not one dimensional but could do many things. I seen the teams that they played for, follow these same desires which many of times brought them to Stanley Cups. Sure there are many players who carry these attributes and many who have veteran leadership, but just like it takes a "special team" to win a Cup I believe it takes a "Special player" to Captain them there.

Trevor Linden is the only Captain that we have had that even comes close to being that type of Captain that has those "Special" qualities IMHO.

If you managed to witness the 94 Cup run, then you would understand how "magical" it can be when you have the right Captain steering the ship.

But if you think they just "talk to the refs" then I can't help you. ::D

On 1/31/2019 at 12:39 PM, smokes said:

They shouldn't. How many people would have wanted to give Henrik the C at that young age. He grew into it. With Edler at his age and being a veteran to be leaned on. Bo, Boeser and Petey have a few years to grow into that role. Edler would be the buffer.

I'm not a huge fan of having 1-2 season captains and would rather wait for our longterm captain to emerge. I don't see the rush in slapping the C onto a jersey in the meantime.

2 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Well, watching most of the careers of the past Captains who won Cups, I see a pattern of attributes they carried such as a relentless desire to win and to win at almost any cost. I have seen a strong work ethic and Captains who were not one dimensional but could do many things. I seen the teams that they played for, follow these same desires which many of times brought them to Stanley Cups. Sure there are many players who carry these attributes and many who have veteran leadership, but just like it takes a "special team" to win a Cup I believe it takes a "Special player" to Captain them there.

Trevor Linden is the only Captain that we have had that even comes close to being that type of Captain that has those "Special" qualities IMHO.

If you managed to witness the 94 Cup run, then you would understand how "magical" it can be when you have the right Captain steering the ship.

But if you think they just "talk to the refs" then I can't help you. ::D

so you are saying it was the magical 'C' on his chest that gave him those abilities? And without the 'C' he couldn't and wouldn't have done those things?

2 minutes ago, butters said:

so you are saying it was the magical 'C' on his chest that gave him those abilities? And without the 'C' he couldn't and wouldn't have done those things?

It was a "magical" Stanley Cup run with a "Special Player" wearing the "C". Did I use too many big words for you? ::D

38 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

It was a "magical" Stanley Cup run with a "Special Player" wearing the "C". Did I use too many big words for you? ::D

nope, but that insinuation is weak considering that you have missed the point on what I was saying. Which is that the 'C' is pretty much symbolic. And putting it on a player doesn't really change their role in the room all that much. Leaders are leaders. No matter what is on that chest. I'm not disputing that Linden was a leader of that team. I am saying he still would have been a leader if someone else was captain.