The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Captaincy question

Rate this topic

Slegr

15 hours ago, Slegr said:

Right before / after the all star break he seemed to be slowing down a bit. But he seems to have turned it up a notch in recent games.

Horvat looks like he's giving a good effort in recent games too, just having terrible pick luck.

I would still like to see Bo finish his checks and help out in the corners in the defensive zone more. We seem to get outmanned in the corners and he is standing in the high slot while his wingers and dmen fight it out in the corners. This might help him out with his +/- numbers as well. Yes his offensive play has been good.

45 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I would still like to see Bo finish his checks and help out in the corners in the defensive zone more. We seem to get outmanned in the corners and he is standing in the high slot while his wingers and dmen fight it out in the corners. This might help him out with his +/- numbers as well. Yes his offensive play has been good.

Perhaps the coaching staff doesn't want him to do this in the defensive zone? Many people take for granted that they think they know what assignments coaches give players.

3 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

Perhaps the coaching staff doesn't want him to do this in the defensive zone? Many people take for granted that they think they know what assignments coaches give players.

But Petey does it, and then some. Yeah OK Ron.

4 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

It would depend on who Bo is destroying, and if he's the first on the puck.  If he gets a chance to run the other teams' top D man through the wall, I would think Green expects that, regardless of circumstance. Otherwise Bo would need to be first on puck.  

49 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

Are you the coach? Stop pretending to be.

Do you watch the games buddy? Have you seen Petey's hitting stats? Maybe you need to take off your rose colored glasses and realize our young players are not finished products yet and there are some things they need to work on. Bo needed to work on skating......check. He needed to work on faceoffs...….check. He is not perfect and will continue to improve I have no doubt of that. 

Right now Petey is improving at an astounding rate hence the "Alien" handle he has acquired. Petey is doing things he shouldn't be doing due to his small frame and his limited experience in the NHL yet he continues to astound. 

You don't need to be a coach to see the development of our young players and what things they are good at and what things they need to work on still.

38 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Do you watch the games buddy? Have you seen Petey's hitting stats? Maybe you need to take off your rose colored glasses and realize our young players are not finished products yet and there are some things they need to work on. Bo needed to work on skating......check. He needed to work on faceoffs...….check. He is not perfect and will continue to improve I have no doubt of that. 

Right now Petey is improving at an astounding rate hence the "Alien" handle he has acquired. Petey is doing things he shouldn't be doing due to his small frame and his limited experience in the NHL yet he continues to astound. 

You don't need to be a coach to see the development of our young players and what things they are good at and what things they need to work on still.

Stats bore me. Hitting stats are subjective to the official score keeper anyways. The difference is I don't care about the Xs and Os like a hyper critical know-it-all like yourself. You will rarely catch me saying this guy needs to play better or this guy needs to do this or work on this. I really don't give a flying you know what. 

I enjoy watching hockey for the pure entertainment value. It's a fun game to watch when you aren't criticizing the players for every perceived poor play in your mind. I am not saying your aren't a passionate fan because here you are talking about your favourite team on a forum for said team. But at a certain point being a fan and being a loudmouth, who thinks they know the game because they watch it on TV, cross paths.

I only get to watch a handful of Canucks game because of where I live and Sportsnet pacific blacks out all the games due to regional restrictions. So I supplement my interest in watching hockey by going to my local AJHL team, The Spruce Grove Saints. These guys probably have a ton of holes in their games but why should I care? I bet you'd be criticizing them though.

3 hours ago, RonMexico said:

Stats bore me. Hitting stats are subjective to the official score keeper anyways. The difference is I don't care about the Xs and Os like a hyper critical know-it-all like yourself. You will rarely catch me saying this guy needs to play better or this guy needs to do this or work on this. I really don't give a flying you know what. 

I enjoy watching hockey for the pure entertainment value. It's a fun game to watch when you aren't criticizing the players for every perceived poor play in your mind. I am not saying your aren't a passionate fan because here you are talking about your favourite team on a forum for said team. But at a certain point being a fan and being a loudmouth, who thinks they know the game because they watch it on TV, cross paths.

I only get to watch a handful of Canucks game because of where I live and Sportsnet pacific blacks out all the games due to regional restrictions. So I supplement my interest in watching hockey by going to my local AJHL team, The Spruce Grove Saints. These guys probably have a ton of holes in their games but why should I care? I bet you'd be criticizing them though.

I guess after watching this team for about 30 years now and see good players come and go and cores come and go, I am finally getting to see real potential in this next wave of players. I, like you , want to be entertained by watching this great sport, but, after watching hundreds of players come through this team I prefer to see the hard working, hard hitting, give 100% type of play. You probably see more of this watching a minor league team and they don't get paid millions of dollars.

Stats bore me as well but I can see how each players performs on the ice and I see when they hit a player and when they choose not to. Why not finish your check? Especially after one of "ours" gets injured from some jerk on the other team. That has actually happened a few times this year and a player STILL chooses not to hit his opponent? We can think up a lot of "excuses" but I don't like them to choose that easy way out and strong character players don't do that anyway.

We have had decades of the top players "choose" not to hit in general and have had a few who have. Sorry but I don't want our team to be known as the "softies" anymore and we should be tough to play against, especially at home.

Bo can hit, I just would be more "entertained" if he did it more often.

• Upvote 1

On 2/21/2019 at 10:46 AM, EdgarM said:

Agree with this. If Bo could add a bit of piss and vinegar hitting into his game, he’d probably already be captain.

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

I'm still torn on this question of captaincy. Horvat had a break-out year with points, but still didn't have as many goals or assists as Pettersson's rookie year. 

Horvat is great on face-offs, but doesn't throw his weight around enough for my liking. They're both passionate players and give it 110%. The 2019/20 season will be Horvat's sixth year as a Canuck. We've probably seen pretty close to the ceiling with this guy, while Pettersson's ceiling is still in question, but there is no question he's a bona fide number one centre, finishing as a + player this season.

They're both beauties, and no doubt they'll both wear letters on the front of their jerseys. 

1 hour ago, Slegr said:

I'm still torn on this question of captaincy. Horvat had a break-out year with points, but still didn't have as many goals or assists as Pettersson's rookie year. 

Horvat is great on face-offs, but doesn't throw his weight around enough for my liking. They're both passionate players and give it 110%. The 2019/20 season will be Horvat's sixth year as a Canuck. We've probably seen pretty close to the ceiling with this guy, while Pettersson's ceiling is still in question, but there is no question he's a bona fide number one centre, finishing as a + player this season.

They're both beauties, and no doubt they'll both wear letters on the front of their jerseys. 

-Captaincy based on point totals?

-weve seen (pretty close to) horvats ceiling?

U fookin w0t m8?

the C is Bo's.  100%. 

7 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

-Captaincy based on point totals?

-weve seen (pretty close to) horvats ceiling?

U fookin w0t m8?

the C is Bo's.  100%. 

When the Canucks are in a funk, you expect your captain to step up. What would that look like for Horvat? Winning faceoffs? He can do that. But he's not as dependable at throwing a big check, or scoring a big goal as regularly as other players. I agree that he'd make a good captain, but not convinced Pettersson wouldn't be better.

Let EP worry about scoring, and let the Horvat the bull deal with the good and bad that comes with being the captain. 

Horvat should have the C on his sweater next season. He’s paid his dues learned from the best and never complains he’s built for the job both on and off the ice. 

Bure wasnt  captain Linden was. 

Edited by combover
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Slegr said:

When the Canucks are in a funk, you expect your captain to step up. What would that look like for Horvat? Winning faceoffs? He can do that. But he's not as dependable at throwing a big check, or scoring a big goal as regularly as other players. I agree that he'd make a good captain, but not convinced Pettersson wouldn't be better.

Bo scored his fair share of goals this past season, and is at least more likely to throw a check or get into a fight than Petey. Bo is a goddamn bull. Took more draws than anyone is the league this past season, played every single game, plays on both the PP and the PK, and is consistent a player as anyone is the league. 

He is the guy. Hell, Petey and Brock are already jokingly calling him "Cap'". That pretty much says it all.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

EP is a natural leader in every way Horvat is not.

Its a shame that he is so much younger than Horvat as the team looks to do a major PR stint in its 50th, where Sedin is expected to hand deliver the C to Horvat.

From what behaviours I’ve seen from this team, they’ve naturally aligned themselves under EP in a way they didn’t with a young Horvat.

In time, it will be an interesting captaincy, but neither play will care about the letter on the sweater the way fans might.  

What a heck on a combo those two will make. Maybe a guy like Woo will sport the remaining letter for the new core. 

Horvat is a fine example of a player and man. As captain, he’d do a great job for this franchise. A 24 year-old EP though, I think that’s the ultimate captain from our current stock, until they find a young Iginla or Blake somewhere. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?

7 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

EP is a natural leader in every way Horvat is not.

Its a shame that he is so much younger than Horvat as the team looks to do a major PR stint in its 50th, where Sedin is expected to hand deliver the C to Horvat.

From what behaviours I’ve seen from this team, they’ve naturally aligned themselves under EP in a way they didn’t with a young Horvat.

In time, it will be an interesting captaincy, but neither play will care about the letter on the sweater the way fans might.  

What a heck on a combo those two will make. Maybe a guy like Woo will sport the remaining letter for the new core. 

Horvat is a fine example of a player and man. As captain, he’d do a great job for this franchise. A 24 year-old EP though, I think that’s the ultimate captain from our current stock, until they find a young Iginla or Blake somewhere. 

A young Iginla on this team is my wet dream...

Would make us a contender overnight....

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1