The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Captaincy question

Rate this topic

Slegr

14 hours ago, Slegr said:

I'm still torn on this question of captaincy. Horvat had a break-out year with points, but still didn't have as many goals or assists as Pettersson's rookie year. 

Horvat is great on face-offs, but doesn't throw his weight around enough for my liking. They're both passionate players and give it 110%. The 2019/20 season will be Horvat's sixth year as a Canuck. We've probably seen pretty close to the ceiling with this guy, while Pettersson's ceiling is still in question, but there is no question he's a bona fide number one centre, finishing as a + player this season.

They're both beauties, and no doubt they'll both wear letters on the front of their jerseys. 

Toews will never have as many points as Pat Kane either.  That didn't stop Captain Serious from becoming a reality, guys like him and Bo just ooze the intangibles.
If you want a guy who will literally lead his team into war, I can't think of anyone on this team right now than Bull - I mean Bo(?).
He's a calm, two-way center and leader who's driven to improve and seeks to do the same for others, even if his line-mates are slumping (see how he's helped to resurrect the careers of guys like Pearson, Eriksson and even elevated Roussel?), and those are the kinds of guys you'd want leading a team.  He, Toews, Sid and even Ovie are also the individual talents with the ability to step up and literally sift his way through opposing defenses and leading the charge on the attack.  That's a pretty good combo to have in a leader if you ask me.  (I wouldn't blink twice if Elias was named for it but I'd agree that my vote would go for Bo). 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Horvat will be named captain of the Canucks on Sedin appreciation night.

I somehow doubt that, because:

1) it would take the spotlight away from the Sedins on their appreciation night, and

2) if it was up to the Sedins, they'd probably prefer the captaincy going to countryman Pettersson.

When they most likely give it to Horvat, I'd guess it'll be to start the season.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 2

On 4/28/2019 at 8:28 AM, Slegr said:

1) it would take the spotlight away from the Sedins on their appreciation night, and

2) if it was up to the Sedins, they'd probably prefer the captaincy going to countryman Pettersson.

When they most likely give it to Horvat, I'd guess it'll be to start the season.

I mean Pete already calls Horvat captain, so I think the team is already decided on who is the leader in that locker room.

I'd give Pete an A soon enough

• Thanks 1

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 8:28 AM, Slegr said:

Agree with the 1st point, but not the 2nd point. The Sedins will want the most deserving player to get the captaincy and will have nothing to do with which country they are from.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the problem with making EP the captain:  At this point in his career, when he goes through a scoring slump, (and he will), being the guy who is pretty much expected to answer questions with the media after every game will only compound the pressure.  On the other side, Bo Horvat is still an effective and noticeable player when he isn't scoring every other game. That's not to say that Pettersson would not be effective either, more that, I'd rather give him the chance to further improve his game in all areas of the ice without the responsibility of the captaincy.   Obviously we are seeing more and more offensively from Bo now, but he is still a strong 200' player who has only shown signs of improving in that respect.  He can go two weeks without scoring a goal, but we will still notice Bo Horvat on the ice, doing the little things the team needs to win.  During the Chicago Blackhaws' peak years, Patrick Kane was unquestionably the most skilled player on the team, and was clearly a leader on that team, but Jonathan Toews was always the best choice as captain.

EP could eventually take over the captaincy in 10 years, but I don't foresee any way it's not Horvat's C for now.

Also, FWIW, I personally think Hughes is closer to a captain than Petey... but we're not waiting for him to mature. We need a leader today and Bo is that guy.

• Upvote 1

On 4/28/2019 at 8:28 AM, Slegr said:

It's almost like you have no clue the kinds of people the twins are.

3 hours ago, nergish said:

EP could eventually take over the captaincy in 10 years, but I don't foresee any way it's not Horvat's C for now.

Also, FWIW, I personally think Hughes is closer to a captain than Petey... but we're not waiting for him to mature. We need a leader today and Bo is that guy.

There was a video posted here a couple weeks back, and Petey and ?Brock are sitting together meeting season ticket holders.  Bo walked by, and they both called Bo “CAP”.

Bo may not have a C on his sweater, but to the young core of this team he is their captain and leader.  

Bo will be named captain at the start of next season. My guess is they wanted to see if they won the lottery first (Hughes) before they commit (assuming they got Hughes, then Bo would probably be traded). And they also probably felt no need to rush it, after all the great years with Henrik as captain. Maybe it was just to take one year after the Sedins to see what they had, and then they would make their decision. Bo deserves the C. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Interesting, they are naming 4 Alternates and plan to announce Captain tomorrow night:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-name-four-alternates-will-announce-captain-home-opener/

Since Horvat is on this list, I'm trying to figure out, are they running with a Captain and 4 A's or is the actual Captain going to be one of this group.

The only person not on this list that I would consider would be Pettersson, but I really can't see them making him Captain just yet, I think he is still a little too young (regardless of how mature he plays), needs time to round out.

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

Interesting, they are naming 4 Alternates and plan to announce Captain tomorrow night:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-name-four-alternates-will-announce-captain-home-opener/

Since Horvat is on this list, I'm trying to figure out, are they running with a Captain and 4 A's or is the actual Captain going to be one of this group.

The only person not on this list that I would consider would be Pettersson, but I really can't see them making him Captain just yet, I think he is still a little too young (regardless of how mature he plays), needs time to round out.

Three A’s and a captain.  One of the four A’s will become captain.  I think Petey should have an A.  Bo is the C.  Petey, Eddy, and Sutter would be the A’s.  

35 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Three A’s and a captain.  One of the four A’s will become captain.  I think Petey should have an A.  Bo is the C.  Petey, Eddy, and Sutter would be the A’s.  

I think Add Boeser next season and Pettersson the year after. No need to rush him into the spotlight more than he already is, let him have some space to establish himself as a dominant player in the NHL over the next couple of seasons and focus just on that.