The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Captaincy question

Rate this topic

Slegr

52 minutes ago, Seinfeld said:

I mentioned this in last night's PGT, but I was disappointed in Horvat last tonight. The guy is basically anointed by fans/media to be the future captain, and I thought so too after watching that Calgary playoff series, but the guy is way too passive on the ice, barely hits, and doesn't seem to possess that Iginla/Foligno/Brindamour/Linden intensity we want in our captain.

If he in incorporated some edge/chippiness and stood up for his teammates every now and then, he would be a god in this city.

Again he has had to play in a defensive role for much of the season. He cant go and take stupid penalties because no one else Petterson included can take a draw.

Now that Sutter  and Beagle is back maybe he can take a few more chances that way.If i used the same arguments against petterson it weouldnt work either.

If Petterson would just drip the glove to stand up for Gudbranson or maybe just get a bit more edgy he would be a god.

Look again I am saying i love what Petey is bringing to the team and he is a star in the making but he has 40 games in.

Horvat is the leader of the team right now and he deserves the C. If and when Hughes comes along and becomes the team leader then make him Captain.Or Petterson. Or Virtanen.Whomever. But right now the leader of the team is Horvat. Hes the Captain without the C

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I actually don't see a captain on our team yet...…...I have not see any leadership

I think Horvat could be an Assistant

I think Petterson is too young

I think Edler is too old

Tanev too often injured

Virtanen is not Committed enough

Eriksson looks stoned

Guddy, isn't good enough

Like I say, until a player stands up and answers all questions

meaning...……………………...

will not take $&!#

but will take it when it is necessary

works hard every shift

will go through or around a player to make a play both of them do that

will get up off the ice, when the body is weak, but the mind wills he gets up

will growl under his breath at his team mates....but they will know and respect that how do you know either in this discussion doesnt do that?

who is respected by the opposition both Bo and Petey are respected you can be sure of this.

who leads by example both of them do this

That is a captain to me...…...

Linden

Kurtenback

Quinn type

To me it is not usually the best player......

That guy is not here yet...………...don't just give it out for the sake of giving it out i dont think any team ever does that.

some comments bolded above

What you have not brought forward is what the player does off the ice.

Brings players concerns to coach and management

talks to the media whether we are playing well or poorly

Looks after other team mates when they join the team or get brought up.

Mentors younger players.

Leads the charge to BCCH or Canuck Place

Speaks up on the plane, Bus, in the dressing room

None of us on CDC is on the inside and sees what either do in the room or who their teammates listen to.

If you make Bo the Captain and Hughes develops into the leader in 4 years then make the change then. San Jose did it with Thornton. Other teams have as well.Its never a permanent position.

I would like to see what happens when and if this team makes the playoffs this year. What happens when the chips are really on the line.

We have 40 games of Pettersons experience to work with. He's a star and we should be grateful to have him. But as for being the next Captain, he isnt there yet. Bo is.

8 hours ago, Slegr said:

When this season started, I was a bit surprised that they hadn't yet made Horvat the captain of the Canucks. I wasn't sure why they wanted to wait - did he really need more time, with less pressure on him?

Then I saw what EP40 brings to the team. He may very well turn out to be the best Canuck of all time. Forgot the Calder, in some circles his name comes up in Hart trophy discussions already. 

So now I wonder, who really should be the captain of this team? It's a bit of apples to oranges, but I think back to Gretzky and Messier on the Oilers. One was pure offense, while Messier brought some sandpaper and more traditional leadership qualities (although we as Canucks fans can rightfully dispute that). But it was #99 who was the captain, because, ultimately, he was a superior player. On the flip side, we had Linden and Bure play together, with Linden getting the captaincy.. although to be fair, Linden was given the captaincy before Bure even arrived.

This season, Horvat is having a record year offensively. He also plays responsibly at both ends of the ice. Still, if we have an opportunity to give one of these players the captaincy, and in 10 years from now, we'll be looking back on it, reflecting on whether it was the right decision, who do you think it should go to? I'm leaning more towards EP40 every passing day.

EP is great and all down the line could be a great assistant Bo is the Captain he takes the hardest minutes. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Before this season, I was also thinking Bo was the shoe-in. I would like a leader who wants to win at all costs and will do anything to get there. EP has done everything in his power to win, every game. Bo lately has looked tired or disinterested. 

I don't want the leader to all of a sudden "give up" when the going gets tough I want that fight in him until the very end. Right now that person is Petey, without a doubt.

Take 75 % of face offs over 4 weeks and you would look tired too!!

4 hours ago, Xbox said:

I mentioned Hughes as Edler's eventual successor because he's the alternate captain of Team USA. I'd bet on Hughes running the teams D-core in the future but you're right it could be someone else like Woo. Hockey is weird like that.

Exactly.  Who'd have thought MDZ would be given the "A" after sitting in the press box for 5 games? (Not the Montreal game, but his prior guest appearance)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mikeyman109 said:

some comments bolded above

What you have not brought forward is what the player does off the ice.

Brings players concerns to coach and management

talks to the media whether we are playing well or poorly

Looks after other team mates when they join the team or get brought up.

Mentors younger players.

Leads the charge to BCCH or Canuck Place

Speaks up on the plane, Bus, in the dressing room

None of us on CDC is on the inside and sees what either do in the room or who their teammates listen to.

If you make Bo the Captain and Hughes develops into the leader in 4 years then make the change then. San Jose did it with Thornton. Other teams have as well.Its never a permanent position.

I would like to see what happens when and if this team makes the playoffs this year. What happens when the chips are really on the line.

We have 40 games of Pettersons experience to work with. He's a star and we should be grateful to have him. But as for being the next Captain, he isnt there yet. Bo is.

I don't know Mike, I just don't feel all that warm and fuzzy

I could be wrong...I would rather they just stay with their assistants, until someone really takes control

I would like to see Horvat use that big frame a little more...after the Pettersson incident a large hit would have been good timing

By the way, I seen that segment about captaincy as well.....you just have a better memory than mine;)

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I don't know Mike, I just don't feel all that warm and fuzzy

I could be wrong...I would rather they just stay with their assistants, until someone really takes control

I would like to see Horvat use that big frame a little more...after the Pettersson incident a large hit would have been good timing

By the way, I seen that segment about captaincy as well.....you just have a better memory than mine;)

I really believe Bo will be made Captain at some point. I would like to have seen someone react to the injury but its not just on Bo.

anyways my argument has been made. I hear those that feel Petterson is playing well and showing great effort. I just think they have been missing out on what Bo has provided the team with.

no disrespect to Petterson.I hope he becomes everything we expect.

2 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

I really believe Bo will be made Captain at some point. I would like to have seen someone react to the injury but its not just on Bo.

anyways my argument has been made. I hear those that feel Petterson is playing well and showing great effort. I just think they have been missing out on what Bo has provided the team with.

no disrespect to Petterson.I hope he becomes everything we expect.

It is probably just me.....I did not like Hank as a Captain either....I loved Hank, just not as a captain

I do not like passive captains.....

Aside from doing all the mundane off ice things, he has to be able to rally and inspire the troops..

I have not seen that yet.....

Men follow generals, and nothing short of that...….. 

I don't think a captain has to go out and hit every day, especially someone like Horvat

But when someone take a run/screws around/or otherwise hurts you rookie best player......go out and hit someone hard

the rest of the team will follow.....

But I am old school...…...these guys go and have tea together now a days, right after their yoga lessens

A different time I guess

• Upvote 2

Both Horvat and Petey work hard, both have good character, both hate losing but I just feel Petey has that extra fire in him that shows that he hates losing. Petey has more skill and showing clutch moment makes every player he plays with better that's the deciding factor. In terms of handling the media and talking to teammates both are mature, but give Petey some time he is a rookie in his first year and young of course he going to be a little quiet on the team. It is like having a Crosby or McDavid on your team and not naming them captain. Nationality is a non-factor example look what Lidstrom did for Wings. The best thing to do is wait another 1 more season and name Petey captain next season is too early.

Edited by PositionOfPower
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I actually don't see a captain on our team yet...…...I have not see any leadership

I think Edler is too old

Tanev too often injured

Eriksson looks stoned

Guddy, isn't good enough

meaning...……………………...

will not take $&!#

works hard every shift

will go through or around a player to make a play

will growl under his breath at his team mates....but they will know and respect that

who is respected by the opposition

who leads by example

Linden

Kurtenback

Quinn type

That guy is not here yet...………...don't just give it out for the sake of giving it out

Horvat.  Better than linden 

2 hours ago, PositionOfPower said:

Both Horvat and Petey work hard, both have good character, both hate losing but I just feel Petey has that extra fire in him that shows that he hates losing. Petey has more skill and showing clutch moment makes every player he plays with better that's the deciding factor. In terms of handling the media and talking to teammates both are mature, but give Petey some time he is a rookie in his first year and young of course he going to be a little quiet on the team. It is like having a Crosby or McDavid on your team and not naming them captain. Nationality is a non-factor example look what Lidstrom did for Wings. The best thing to do is wait another 1 more season and name Petey captain next season is too early.

bo is like having a Linden or Toews on your team and not naming him Captain. Skill has nothing to do with being Captain. Leadership is what being a Captain is about. Linden was captain even though Bure was the more skilled player.Nationality i agree is a non factor. Petterson has played 40 games. Not too many teams anointing their rookie captain after 40 games.

Anyways I have made my points for BO, I dont agree that Petterson is Captain material yet. Again Hughes may be that player 4 or 5 years down the road. Petterson is Laine to Blake Wheeler or Kane to Toews or Gaudreau to Giordano. Either way I am glad we have both players. Cheers

12 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I think Edler is too old

Tanev too often injured

Eriksson looks stoned

Guddy, isn't good enough

meaning...……………………...

He's the one! Fried out of his bean... lol!!

14 hours ago, The Great Canucks said:

Better than your pathetic input, which has you actually suggesting Horvat might have given up.

I suggested he was tired OR disinterested. He might even be injured who knows. All I know is that he is not playing like himself lately. I guess if you took off your rose colored glasses you would see that. I loved the fact that Bo had a fight recently but that is the last time I seen any kind of "push back" from him. Yes he works hard most nights but man you cannot dispute Peteys fight to win EVERY NIGHT! Look at how many GWG's he has already and that just shows that he is "clutch" and he can be depended on to go above and beyond to win a game.

Thanks for your riveting input though I think this one was better then your last. :lol:

13 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I think Edler is too old

Tanev too often injured

Eriksson looks stoned

Guddy, isn't good enough

meaning...……………………...

will not take $&!#

works hard every shift

will go through or around a player to make a play

will growl under his breath at his team mates....but they will know and respect that

who is respected by the opposition

who leads by example

Linden

Kurtenback

Quinn type

That guy is not here yet...………...don't just give it out for the sake of giving it out

Very well said this is where I see the Captaincy as well. I do think that Bo and Petey are the front runners right now but it is too early to say and I would like to see what kind of leadership we have in the playoffs, which is where it really counts anyway.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1