The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Captaincy question

Rate this topic

Slegr

6 hours ago, cyoung said:

The captaincy here reminds me of the king's situation a few years ago when they gave Dustin Brown the C until Kopitar was ready to take the reigns (also brown regressed a bit). 

I think Pettersson will and should be the captain eventually but right now Horvat is our guy. 

I've seen some people who said similar things...Like to name Horvat first as he fits to be Captain right now, and they believe Pettersson can/will/should be Captain next/in future...I don't really know what people mean by that though, because Pettersson is only younger than Horvat by a few(3) years...So are they saying that we can wait until Pettersson becomes more experienced in the NHL/in English first, and then later strip Horvat of the 'C'? Dustin Brown even said that the process of stripping him of the 'C' made him feel like he was put in an "awkward spot". So I was just thinking that Petey and Bo would feel really awkward about the situation too...

1 hour ago, StarGirl said:

I've seen some people who said similar things...Like to name Horvat first as he fits to be Captain right now, and they believe Pettersson can/will/should be Captain next/in future...I don't really know what people mean by that though, because Pettersson is only younger than Horvat by a few(3) years...So are they saying that we can wait until Pettersson becomes more experienced in the NHL/in English first, and then later strip Horvat of the 'C'? Dustin Brown even said that the process of stripping him of the 'C' made him feel like he was put in an "awkward spot". So I was just thinking that Petey and Bo would feel really awkward about the situation too...

I totally agree it's awkward and am not suggesting that's what should happen. Im just saying it's a difficult situation in my opinion. Pettersson and Horvat are both great for the job. Both amazing leaders in different ways, wouldn't be mad with either.

10 hours ago, oldnews said:

You could probably say the same about Horvat as a rookie.   Listen and learn - that's what future captains do imo as young players - very few are ready to lead in the dressing room or on the ice at that point.

Pettersson doesn't need to say a lot imo - he plays 'angry' = his drive is his leadership by example at this point - and I imagine that the more command over the language he develops and more footing he gets in the league, he'll probably be a candidate for captaincy. 

At the same time, Horvat is consistently growing his game to where he's now capable of handling quantity of hard minutes - and producing at the same time = plays the game at both ends of the ice like you want a captain to.

So the team has a nice problem - of wealth of young leadership imo.  I'd consider Motte another guy that approaches the game with leadership qualities - may not be a 'top 6' but no one competes harder or with more consistency - and he's also only Horvat's age.   The emerging young core looks rich in character imo.

While I agree there is a wealth of strong character in the locker room, I don't believe that is the equivalent of what is required for leadership. The captain of an NHL team needs to be the voice of reason and inspiration to the team. They have to lead not only by example on the ice, but also be the figurehead of the team off the ice. My opinion isn't that Petey and Motte don't play hard or consistently, but simply that while they exhibit the on-ice leadership through their play, we have yet to see true leadership from them. The captaincy requires the player to be the first into the locker room after a tough loss, it requires them to stand up to the referee when they disagree with a call, and it requires them to control the room when the Coach cannot. I don't see those qualities in Petey. Granted, we've seen very little of Petey so far and I'm sure he has more to show us, but I don't see how anyone can take the captaincy from Horvat at this point. Horvat has taken the helm from Henrik and run with it. 

Captaincy is a matter of leadership. 

The captain is best used in team sports and a rally point. 

When it gets tough , that's when the captain takes a gear and inspires the troops to win battles in the trenches. 

Yeah he talks to the refs and takes charge of certain team issues..but a good captain is effective at those responsibilities because he has earned the right to lead through hard work and perseverance.

If you slap a "C" on the skill guy, it doesn't neccesarily satiate the previously mentioned point. 

You ever work for a boss who didnt walk the talk? 

Vs.

The guy(girl) who's right there, or been right there, and they are the best representative of what they preach... leadership is about setting the tone, charting the course and Leading the way. It's not called a team boss.

Its Bo or no.

Edited by PrinceGeorgeGoon
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/4/2019 at 11:34 AM, Slegr said:

When this season started, I was a bit surprised that they hadn't yet made Horvat the captain of the Canucks. I wasn't sure why they wanted to wait - did he really need more time, with less pressure on him?

Then I saw what EP40 brings to the team. He may very well turn out to be the best Canuck of all time. Forgot the Calder, in some circles his name comes up in Hart trophy discussions already. 

So now I wonder, who really should be the captain of this team? It's a bit of apples to oranges, but I think back to Gretzky and Messier on the Oilers. One was pure offense, while Messier brought some sandpaper and more traditional leadership qualities (although we as Canucks fans can rightfully dispute that). But it was #99 who was the captain, because, ultimately, he was a superior player. On the flip side, we had Linden and Bure play together, with Linden getting the captaincy.. although to be fair, Linden was given the captaincy before Bure even arrived.

This season, Horvat is having a record year offensively. He also plays responsibly at both ends of the ice. Still, if we have an opportunity to give one of these players the captaincy, and in 10 years from now, we'll be looking back on it, reflecting on whether it was the right decision, who do you think it should go to? I'm leaning more towards EP40 every passing day.

I don't see high point totals being the best criteria for the captaincy of a team. Back in the day when Linden was captain, if I recall correctly, there was only one year when he was the highest point producer on the team. Every other year the highest scorer was Bure or Mogilny, neither of whom I see as great captain material.

regards,  G.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gollumpus said:

I don't see high point totals being the best criteria for the captaincy of a team. Back in the day when Linden was captain, if I recall correctly, there was only one year when he was the highest point producer on the team. Every other year the highest scorer was Bure or Mogilny, neither of whom I see as great captain material.

regards,  G.

Oh Petey brings wayyyy more to the table then just high point totals. He's a gamer through and through and he's still a rookie. Looking at his first year and Bo's first year, there is competition here far more then what most think. Lets let these guys develop a little more and see what comes of it.

4 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Give it to Bo now. He has earned it.

We can quite happily deal with the "fall out" if Pettersson gets even better, develops more leadership skills in future.

Wasn't this song from a rather scary, and intense spy movie?  Bo is clearly our captain. He will have the C soon.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

lIke if we win the draft lotto, and are getting Jack Hughes, would we trade Bo for a top you stud D man?  That's how Columbus got Seth Jones.  

….....or Petey gets us into the playoffs and carries us farther then any of us would have imagined. Like I said a lot of things can happen between now and when they do decide to name a Captain.

• Upvote 2

Just now, EdgarM said:

….....or Petey gets us into the playoffs and carries us farther then any of us would have imagined. Like I said a lot of things can happen between now and when they do decide to name a Captain.

Good point about Petey.  And there is the likelihood that Quinn Hughes will be here for the last 10 games or so.  He would certainly make us a lot better.  

Just now, Alflives said:

Good point about Petey.  And there is the likelihood that Quinn Hughes will be here for the last 10 games or so.  He would certainly make us a lot better.  

We are in a transition period and right now we are seeing what we have, "what sticks" and "what doesn't". This season has shown us a number of things of what this team is going to look like going forward.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

We are in a transition period and right now we are seeing what we have, "what sticks" and "what doesn't". This season has shown us a number of things of what this team is going to look like going forward.

Sounds like we have really good young players, where as a team like the Flyers is trying to trade their young guys away.  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sounds like we have really good young players, where as a team like the Flyers is trying to trade their young guys away.  

We seem to have a good mix of veteran and young guys and character players throughout to keep playing the right way. This along with a Coach who makes everyone accountable spells success and a team that is trending upward.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

What do the Canucks do if they draft Jack Hughes?

There's only 2 Top C spots available.

Pettersson

Horvat

Hughes

I know who's getting traded lol

It’s very long shot we get J Hughes, but if it did happen. Jack H would play wing. Then next question is with what center. I would say Bo just cuz EP40 and Jack are so small. Also PP would be a very small but a super talented Unit. 

Im on team tank, but I’ve lost hope on getting Jack. But JB will find us someone good. I just hope its a player that is JB first choice. Not a player that is JBs eighth choice, having those players be gone before JB could draft them.

• Upvote 2

Bo is a great leader but honestly, I would not dismiss EP for the C. The definition of leading by example, this kid is a winner and will hopefully lead us to a cup. At the start of the year i woulda definitely said Bo but im leaning more towards EP now. Love them both, thankful we have such mature young gun leading the way.

The more I think about this, the more I wonder why its even a question. 

As great as EP is, he's a creative driver. You don't want to put additional pressure on your most creative players to do even more as the teams leader, thats how they end up trying to do too much. No issues with an "A" but why put the extra pressure on him? There's no benefit. 

Bo on the other hand plays a style where he can walk the talk all year, even if he's in a streaky scoring or slump period. 

Bo makes the most sense.

• Upvote 2